Source of a dwell meter?

austinsailor

After 40 years my dwell meter is done. Finding a new one is becoming a challenge.

Go to an auto parts store, not only do they have none, they usually don't even know what it is.

I haven't been able to identify one online that is both 6 cylinder and 6 volts. I'm guessing if it only has 2 wires, voltage doesn't matter?

I think all the dwell meters will work on a 6v system as most (all?) 12v points type ignition systems used a ballast of some sort to bring the primary voltage at the points down to about 6v. You do have to remember that for a positive ground system the red wire is clipped to ground rather than the black wire.

Asking for a 6v dwell meter will probably draw a blank stare. Just ask for a dwell meter or, as Plymouthy suggests, a multi-function meter.

My current meter was purchased at CarQuest about 5 years ago. And it was in the store with no need to order it. Maybe things have changed in the last few years but they should still be available at pretty much any good auto supply store.

My dwell meter did not work correctly on my D24. Readings were unquestionably wrong when hooked up one way, and nonexistent the other way.

I found a vintage Sears dwell meter on ebay.

Edited by shel_ny

I started by asking for a dwell meter,, didn't mention voltage, they had no clue. Kinda knew what points were, but not how they worked!

After Tim's reply I went online again. Still many were listed as 12 volt, the one that comes up most often was 4/8 cylinder. I'm guessing one of the ones that looks more like a multimeter wouid be a good bet.

My old one was a cheapie, no battery, 2 wires. Guess I'll spend some more time on line and find something.

Might hit a couple more auto parts stores, too. Sure would like to lay my eyes on it, not wait a week and find it won't work on mine. Never expected this to be so complicated.

Then again, I need a left hand lug bolt - guess how that's going?

Gene

Edited by austinsailor

A reply from somewhere else.........

There is a simple way to get the 12 volt meter to work on the 6 volt ignition system. It requires a battery from a motorcycle, dry cell from a light, whatever has 12 volts.

Connect the power wires from the tach/dwell to the 12 volt battery, then, add a ground wire from the 12 volt battery to the engine, and connect the sensor wire form the meter to the negative post on the coil. read dwell/rpms, set accordingly.

The power supply from the 12 volt battery will NOT interface/interfere with the 6 volt system. The ground wire from the 12 volt battery to the engine proper only completes the READ circuit on the meter, the two different voltage systems remain separated.

Dwell meter/tach reads correctly when connected in this method.

Saw 4 or 5 of them at the local swap meet today.

Ebay will have many also.

my NIB dwell tach I dug it out just for giggles.  It is not voltage switchable and is stated to be burn out proof and works on 6 and 12 volts....as it is looking for trigger (opening and closing of the points to ground).  The meter has different scale for 6 and 8 both tach and dwell...to use on 4 you use the 8 cyl scale and double it..

voltage is that of the primary ignition supply so most are operational between the 6 and 12 volt that would also include the random 8 volt systems on tractors etc.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

I did look at that one. The manual says it's for 12 volts.

Gene

yup, I read on there where others used it fine on their 6 volt systems. I was also able to use it fine on my 6 volt also. Read dwell, rpm and volts just fine. Ordered a timing light that was for '12 volt' and was able to use it on my car without needing a 12 volt source.

Actron CP7527 Inductive Timing Light

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BSY9J4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

yup, I read on there where others used it fine on their 6 volt systems. I was also able to use it fine on my 6 volt also. Read dwell, rpm and volts just fine. Ordered a timing light that was for '12 volt' and was able to use it on my car without needing a 12 volt source.Actron CP7527 Inductive Timing Light

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BSY9J4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So you just clip it on the 6 volt posts and it works ok? If so, I'll order one.

Gene

Yes, clipped the one clip to the coil and the other to the pos. ground. I can't remember which clip went to each but when you try it you'll know. The clips aren't the greatest, kind of small, but worked for me. I checked with an old dwell meter I found laying around and got the same results. The unit has a switch for 4-6-8 cylinders.

If you are referring to the timing light, yes I just clipped it to the 6v  battery posts on the car. Lit up the timing mark on the pulley nice and bright.

Edited by 50 coupe