Home repair estimates, READ them

pflaming

On an estimate we received this week from a big box lumber supplier, for a floor replacement the price seemed unreasonable. Careful reading indicated that their square footage amount was 20% too much. Since all items is based on that number, the entire bid was at least 20% too high.

A week ago Doc put a shot of cortisone in each knee, what a difference, so with those improved I will do it myself. Will give me some car $$ wiggle room with my wife.

Just a note to stay alert!

there's always some waste or scraps of material left over from home repair or remodels since you can't jam a 12" stick of wood in a 11'  hole and a 10' stick won't fit it right either, depending on the purpose of that particular stick.  Customers are always happier when a job finished up under budget than  over.  Carpet doesn't come precut to your floor either so any areas that you have to go around will reduce total square footage actually needed but not represent the way you have to purchase the material.  Depending on your floor layout, 20 % over may be very close to reality.

• Like 2

I completely agree with Dave,  A true professional will use the correct piece for the job, I have seen far too many times when the home owner thinks they can do it themselves and "SAVE" money.  Not always but the majority of the time I can see things that a pro would never do. 

Please let us know how much footage you actually used when all done and said.  Keep track of your time running to get more product and taking back the extra after you picked up too much the second time.  Also keep track of all the miscellaneous things like fasteners, sanding belts, pain pills and other related items are used. 

Todd B

• Like 1

I deal with contractors at work VERY regularly, from what I have seen around here 20% is the "norm"........  because of my job my normal practice (even at home) is to write a "scope of work" and get at least 3 bids...... gives an idea if people are gouging....  but keep in mind sometimes the low bid is no always the best and you get what you pay for   :)

on the other hand, if you are able to do it yourself and have the time I say go for it.

(as a side note, I HATE PLUMBING!!!! :D )

The space is 6" square with the shower space removed so the sq footage is 27 sq ft. Now using tile, the amount of tile required and the amount of waste will not be 20%. I've done tile before but even will the cortisone shots have really helped my knees, I do not want to do much knee work anymore.

I have a carpenter friend coming by tomorrow and we will reevaluate the project. In a irregular room, 20% waste would not be out of line.

Just the floor, no PLUMBING, about as bad a removing a water distribution tube. 

Tile isn't any different if you want it to look like someone knew what they were doing when it get's installed. Tile size, pattern, space for grout may end up with you cutting every outside piece to get it laid out properly, creating a pile of scrap pieces that can't be utilized anywhere else on the floor.

20 % waste figure is a good number. the only way to cut waste is to have a room that you can start with a full tile & end with a full tile. If you don't care about cut pieces being equal, you could start at door wall & work back to shower. A good contractor will start in center of floor & work out. That way cut pieces, if any, are even. Big box box stores subcontract work out & are going to be more expensive. You would be better off with an independent tile installer. I was a contractor for 50+ years, almost all work by word of mouth.

• Like 4