Starter Question

mayflower48

While looking at my service manual I noticed that the 49-54 starter has about 35% more torque than my P-15 46-48 starter.  The question is has anyone upgraded to the later starter and was there an improvement in the cranking speed of the engine and is it worth doing.

Sometime along the way they changed the number of teeth on the flywheel and that would affect which starter will physically fit. Don't know when they did that though.

But. . . Is your car hard to start? If not they why bother swapping starters? Sounds like that might fall into the "if is isn't broken, don't fix it" category of things.

The first question I would ask is, "Are you having trouble starting now?"

Since they started for many years - what 60 or more? - they should be fine now if everything is up to snuff.

I remember in the early 60's my daily driver was a 1940 Plymouth, and it started well down to about zero with the starter. Below zero took a little roll down the hill to add a bit to the starter, then it was good for the rest of the day.

Not picking on you, just wondering what problem you're trying to solve, or are you just wanting to experiment?

Gene

Several years ago when I first driving my 'pre-fire' truck, it took a bit to start. A friend said that engine should start on the 2nd beat, the took some wrenches out of his pocket and started adjusting. I motored the engine a couple of times it started. THEN with the engine running he kept adjusting. Finally he said "turn it off'.  we waited a few minutes and he said, 'hit it again' and it started on the 2nd beat and starts that way today.

Two days ago a visitor was looking at the truck. It had sat now for about a week. I turned on the key, let the electric pump work for a count of 3, and without the choke or the foot pedal assistance, it started on the 2nd beat.  It's all in the adjustment. My friend is 69 years old and cannot read or write, been a mechanic all his life, and can hear what is wrong with an old engine.

It's all in the adjustments!  imho

Thanks for the input.  It always starts,just seems a bit slow, but will always start.  I had a P-15 56 years and I thought it cranked a little faster.  Just thought I would ask.

Food for thought. My truck has a place for a crank and cranks can be bought. Now it would be nearly impossible to spin these engines with a crank, so they had to start with one strong up pull of the crank.  I'm thinking of getting together with my friend, who adjusted my trucks 218, and see if we can so tune it so it can be started with one pull of a crank. It should.

Now it would be a lot of fun to park near an uptown sidewalk cafe, walk up to the car, get out the crank, give it one pull, and drive off!