od transmission

linenbaugh

Found this transmission for sale in Sweden where i live.The seller states it is a mopar transmission  but dont know for what car or year .The gears are shot as the picture tells but is the  OD worth a try ,could it be used together with a dodge FD transmission?. I have a 47 d 24 and a 3,55 cherokee rear and feels that i could use an extra gear.If anyone can tell what kind of OD this is and if it is worth 200 USD ,which is the asked price it will be greatly apreciated.

Thanks

Anderspost-1178-0-44934800-1462300678_thumb.jpg

Most OD transmissions for 40s and 50s Plymouths are a Borg Warner R 10 model which the one in the picture is not. Am not familiar with FD trans with OD and do know if it is the same as used on the standard transmission.

Edited by suntennis

Suntennis, I think you mean R10. I own an R8 and I hear there are R6 and R7 units too.

I only am familiar with an R8 and R10. The R8 uses a solenoid to pull the trans out of OD when one powers it and it engages OD mechanically when speed exceeds ~ 30MPH.

The more common R10 uses a solenoid to both engage OD by power being applied and disengage OD by power being cut off.

Try George Asche, whose number is elsewhere in this forum to help with ID.

That is an overdrive from a 57 to 59 Plymouth   (maybe R10 J)

It will not fit earlier Plymouths.  As to its value, I have tried for several years to sell one and there is literally no market.

On the plus side, the internal OD components can be used in other R10s such as the one which will fit 40 to 56 Plymouths 

"I only am familiar with an R8 and R10. The R8 uses a solenoid to pull the trans out of OD when one powers it and it engages OD mechanically when speed exceeds ~ 30MPH.

The more common R10 uses a solenoid to both engage OD by power being applied and disengage OD by power being cut off.

Try George Asche, whose number is elsewhere in this forum to help with ID."

meadowbrook.....

Are don't you mean you are familiar with the R7 and R10 OD's? The R7 does use the solenoid to pull out of OD.

I have never heard of a R8 OD. R9's were packard's and others.

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Since, as you say, the gears are worn out, why not take the main box apart and compare the mainshaft   with the earlier transmission.

a short answer to your question would be "probably not " but there is one way to find out for sure.

As for Fluid Drive transmissions, they can have the R10 overdrive attached.

• Like 1

Thanks for your answers ,but it does not answer my question .Can anyone tell if i can mate this od with my transmission .Is the mainshaft the same as my -47 FD transmission .

Anders

No you can not.  It actually looks like a straight 2 speed.  if it is an overdrive it is missing parts.  That is a 1957-1962 mopar transmission

I will attach pictures of the 1952-56 overdrive and the 1957-59 version.  If it is an overdrive, its value is only to someone wanting to put it

in a 1957-62 car.  So unless you have that scenario, I would say it is only worth whatever the price of scrap metal is. The gears in the 3speed being no good are no big deal, but if that overdrive it burnt, it is a huge issue.

With your fluid drive transmission you need a r10g1 overdrive unit,  or you can change it over to a straight 3 speed standard with overdrive

and just need the longer front shaft.  But you can use an r10g1 overdrive with your fluid drive, which is the 1952-56 overdrive.

Tim

post-5630-0-90119800-1462415568_thumb.jpg

post-5630-0-24482900-1462415607_thumb.jpg

post-5630-0-40183200-1462415646_thumb.jpg

• Like 1