Dodge C series truck rear brake drums

My '56 truck has a crack in a rear brake drum, which a previous owner has tried to weld up with minimal success.

It seems that the 11" drums for these trucks are like gold dust, but I had an idea...

The drum is held to the hub by five meaty rivets, which means the wrecked drum can be separated from the serviceable hub. So, I am thinking along the lines of finding a drum of the same dimensions (11" dia, 2" width) that has the same 5x4.5" bolt pattern as the hub, along with a big enough centre to clear the hub centre. Slide the drum over the wheel studs, wheel on, bolt up and Bob is your metaphorical uncle.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone done something similar? I can see a potential snag being the "offset" of the drum, i.e. distance between the inner face that meets the hub and the edge of the friction surface.

I'll put up some pictures later, on a smartphone currently which makes posting photos an excruciating experience!

I'm interested in this. i have a '54 that the previous owner has already ground down the rivets so that the drum is easily removed and held on by wheel and lug bolts. Makes servicing way easier, i had to change wheel cylinders, but have not needed drums yet. Let me know what you find. thanks Mike