airtex fuel pumps on a cranbrook engine

bluefoxamazone

hi!

what would be the best choice?

Installing an airtex E8902 or the airtex e8011 which has a slightly higher pressure delivered.

I am planning to install the electric pump for priming right after the tank. I have no idea what will be left from the 2.5 to 4.5 psi from the E8902?

Any experiences to share?

thanks!

Franky

spring has finaly arrived in Belgium too.

Well here is my suggestion. I just looked in my 1939 Desoto Service manual and the mechanical fuel pump puts out 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 pounds.  I have the Airtex E8902 which gives 2.5 to 4 lbs. It is basically a primer pump for me.  I would suggest that you check your service manual on your car. 

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I usually recommend the lower pressure pump for carbureted engines.  The higher pressure pump has on some occasions been too strong for the float/needle valve and run the carb over or given it a rich condition. If those put out the pressure at the higher end of their rating, 6-7 psi it can cause some problems.  Pumping at the lower end, about 4 psi, no problems, but you don't get to test their psi output and return them if they're on the higher end.  Their are alternative pump manufacturer's that make an adjustable pressure pump if needed.

ok, Rich and Dave,

Thanks for your comments! I will go for the E8902. What about the idea to wire it together with the starter motor. So that power goes to the fuel pump as long as you crank the starter motor. Would that decrease the cranking time?

Or just simply install a "priming button" on the dash?

grtz,

I would just use a toggle switch to run the pump. This way you can control when the pump is no of off.  Also remember that you have positive ground on your car.  So on the pump the positive wire will go the frame and the negative wire on the pump will go to the power side to run the pump.  These are a pusher pump so the closer to the gas tank the better.

Most guys use these as primer pumps.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com