228 Engine rebuild

Fargone

Well I thought I'd pop out and get a valve spring tool for the flat head... not so much. I had to order one from the USA no one had one in Edmonton. Any alternative suggestions guys? I'd like to finish disassembling this engine.

Edited by Fargone

Yes PM Bamfordsgarage, he might be able to assist you.

Did you try Princess Auto?

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/powerfist-valve-spring-compressor/A-p8003725e

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/lisle-small-engine-valve-spring-compressor/A-p2918456e

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far

Yep, a Don beat me...either a small engine valve tool, or like I did, I sliced the bottom plate off a big C clamp and welded a set of fingers that pulled the spring up, but let me take the keepers out...was a quick fix as I tried multiple tools from buddies and none worked

I hope I was correct in the assumption that a conventional over head valve spring tool is too big for the flat head. By my eye the work area seems quite a small. I ordered a tool from Goodson. https://www.goodson.com/CF-122-L-Head-Manual-Spring-Compressor/

That's like the one I have and it works very well. Even for working on the valves with the engine in the truck. Goodson is a great source for machinist supplies.

In order to move the build ahead I decided not to wait for my valve spring compressor to arrive. I took my engine to the shop that will hot tank it, mag particle and measure it up. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse, they would pull them for $75 as part of my inspection work. I'm curious to see if the internals are still standard dimensions with the pistons being .040 O/S I have my doubts. I could not believe the amount of slug and garbage in the water jackets of this engine, I've disassembled several more modern engines and this engine had more junk in it then all of them combined....

• Like 1

Yep...I ran hot hot water and a pressure washer through mine for about an hour when it was all disassembled, but at that time didn't know about the distribution tube...when I took it for dunking and machining they said it still had a couple mouse nests and piles of junk in it...only way to go is a good dunking. As for over size...hopefully doesn't need much more...once you go over .060 I think they just don't cool as nicely

In order to move the build ahead I decided not to wait for my valve spring compressor to arrive. I took my engine to the shop that will hot tank it, mag particle and measure it up. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse, they would pull them for $75 as part of my inspection work. I'm curious to see if the internals are still standard dimensions with the pistons being .040 O/S I have my doubts. I could not believe the amount of slug and garbage in the water jackets of this engine, I've disassembled several more modern engines and this engine had more junk in it then all of them combined....

Amen. I have never seen so much come out of any other engine either. :)

Jeff

These engines had a lot more time to accumulate that stuff. 

• Like 1

Well crappy news from the machine shop, my 1950 block is cracked. I had high hopes for this engine it turned freely and seemed like a good candidate for rebuild. It's much better to find out early before any serious effort and money are spent. The cranks is straight and with a grind it will work in another engine. I sure hope I can salvage the block from my seized 1951 engine.

Sorry to hear, it's always a bit of a gamble on these old girls, but here's hoping your other block works out! I'd offer you one, but I sent mine to scrap yard heaven last fall...cleaning up to move. Or.....just buy my truck....save all the hassle..LOL

• Like 1

Well I got the front clip off my truck and as advised I took several measurements and photos to help with re-installation. I've discovered more rust than I'd hoped to see on the firewall /cab hidden behind the fender skirts. I've been pretty lucky for the most part, this truck has held up well for all the years it's been parked outside with bad weatherstripping. With any luck I should have the old 218 out tomorrow and on the engine stand for inspection. The big test is going to be my mechanic friend vs the stuck piston I can't wait for this tussle.

There should be tons of Chrysler flathead engines in Alberta yet, I even know where there is a decent 250 runner here in the 2-3 hundred dollar range.

Don't play around with the 218, unless this is a concourse resto, why bother, you can another engine, and a runner from an old grain truck or combine maybe.

It all boils down to what yu may want, and you have mentioned V8s, so maybe thats the route for your build, either way, there is work ahead...

There should be tons of Chrysler flathead engines in Alberta yet, I even know where there is a decent 250 runner here in the 2-3 hundred dollar range.

Don't play around with the 218, unless this is a concourse resto, why bother, you can another engine, and a runner from an old grain truck or combine maybe.

It all boils down to what yu may want, and you have mentioned V8s, so maybe thats the route for your build, either way, there is work ahead...

I agree starting with a later model larger flatty would be best and I'm looking for victims, trust me. I've just located an engine with potential and I'm currently gathering information about it, if it pans out I'll buy it. I really want to stay with a flathead, but that desire has to balanced against budget. A V8 is not a realistic option at this point of the project. If the other engine doesn't work out I can go to plan "B". Plan "B" is based on research I've done on this site and others, if my 218 block is good I can bore it out and use the crank, rods and pistons from my 1950 giving me 237 cubic incher. While it's not a 251/265 it is a better starting point than the standard 218. 

I have a "rebuilt"? 230 in my garage in Saskatoon in that range if you are interested. Don't know much about it but the bottom was very clean when I pulled the oil pan. Was supposedly rebuilt years ago and then stored inside. I bought it because ????????

• Like 1

I have a "rebuilt"? 230 in my garage in Saskatoon in that range if you are interested. Don't know much about it but the bottom was very clean when I pulled the oil pan. Was supposedly rebuilt years ago and then stored inside. I bought it because ????????

Is this a short engine Neil?

Thanks you are now plan "C"

As a side bar to all the great offers today we did succeed in tearing down the the seized 218 today. What a pile of work that was. Everything is harder when you can't turn the engine over, the valve train was a nightmare, cam was seized, 5 valves seized into the seats & 3 pistons required exorcisms. One piston died of blunt force trauma. When the carnage was over the block looks none the worse for wear.  Let's just hope it's solid after a very hard day on the engine stand.

One dead piston

Edited by Fargone

I've got a line on a newer engine I think it's a 1956. The engine stamping numbers I've received from the seller looks like a re-builder number not Dodge numbers, nothing crosses up on the on-line sources. The head has casting number 1632386 on it, this site lists it as common to a 251 engine what source provides this info I couldn't find it on-line. The engine number I was given is M1633 06C. The owner says that the stamping looks rather light and there is evidence of grinding in the area.

Edited by Fargone