Senior moment regarding clutch basket

3046moparcoupe

Haven't had enough experience around manual transmissions and clutch's to mention,....

Removed my clutch basket, clutch and flywheel out through the bottom side of the bell housing,.. ( engine still in the car, 1946 P15).

Real proud of myself in regards to carefully and slowly removing the basket bolts, evenly, 1/4 - 1/2 turn at a time,...didn't drop anything, yea !! and about the time I was standing back congratulating myself looking at my flywheel and clutch on the garage floor, I realized I had not marked the clocking of the clutch basket to the flywheel before removing the thing,.......well, they say your mind's one of the 1st things to go,.....I guess I'm about there  :) - because I knew I was supposed to do it and somehow had a senior moment and just plain forgot.

Sent the entire clutch basket to Randal at Tennessee Clutch, and they did their thing,...(resurfaced the pressure plate, new throw out bearing, pilot bearing,),.got it all back and everything looks great..

I can think of examples where a person would be in this same situation for other reasons, probably best example would be in building a new drive train for a project from scratch, where parts have not been mated together before....

All feedback and comments are welcome and appreciated,...

Do the flywheel and basket need to be re-balanced together ? ... 

Things sure are easier when you pull your head out and get it right the 1st time -  

The following taken from the Golf Brooks song - " Senior Moments"

"Ooh Senior Moments, Brain Farts, I try hard to remember - but the process never starts, I can have em by the dozens doc and sometimes there off the charts, Senior Moments, Brain Farts "  :) 

Steve.

Bolt it back together. It will be balance fine.

• Like 1

Recently had a engine rebuilt and balanced. The shop doing the work asked for the pressure plate to balance. He said mine and many pressure plates are out of balance. Worked with cars many times and this was the first time anyone ever commented about pressure plates being out of balance. Have no idea if this would be noticeable in the running of a car.

• Like 1

There are not likely to be any problems, people have been installing exchange units for years.  Even if there was a slight vibration.

the pressure plate could be unbolted and given a partial turn without disassembling the whole works.

• Like 1

thank you pcb, dp and dc,......I appreciate you sharing your knowledge from real life experience...and yes sir Don, I did see where my flywheel is indexed to only mount one way,..I have also read from some of your past posts where you were advising others to make note of this,....to eliminate lifting the flywheel up in place a multiple of times until you find the correct clocking,....mine is marked so I'll just have to heave it up there a single time....thank you all.