Make     Dodge
Model     B-1-F, B-1-FL, B-1-FA, B-1-FS, B-1-H, B-1-HA, B-1-HH, B-1-HHA
Engine     236 Flathead Six
Wheelbase     128, 152, 170, 192
Rating     1 1/2, 2 Ton
Engineering Code     T148, TX-148
Plant     Detroit, Michigan
Build Number     43777

On that same tag that has the serial number should be the model number. B-1-?-???. The third digit designates the size class, and the 3 digit number at the end represents the wheel base length. My guess would be a B-1-F, which makes it a 1-1/2 ton truck.

Nice looking truck. Good luck on the sale.

Merle

I'm not near the truck, but I do have a picture of the plate.   I have tried to enhance it to bring out the letters. 

Take a look, maybe you can make it out if you know what it should be.

I see B-1? 152

Maybe the ? is an F?

The tag appears to show Auxiliary equipment 14500 lbs and 3200 RPM. 

post-9124-0-48058300-1461635733_thumb.jpg

I did some research through the old Dodge Serial number books and your truck is indeed a 1949 B-1-F / H. The reason your search through VIN decoder came back so inexact is that during the time your truck was built, Dodge was building a wide range of 1 1/2 ton trucks. I'll post a screen capture of my manual so at least you have it. That is a nice old truck.

I think its a very nice truck.....

I have had no luck selling it yet.

It goes on Ebay late tonight.

I have it priced at $2750....which seems cheap to me.

But then again, perhaps these B-1 Dodges are not very popular.

Its part of an estate sale.

I'm the executor and I'm 3 states away from it.  I was going to get it running last time I was there, but I simply ran out of time.  

Rather than an Auction, I just put it at a fixed priced so that there is no fooling around.

Edited by split

It is located in Clear Brook Virginia

I had listed it on this forum....but have not received a single inquiry

i've looked through the classifieds fairly regularly, but haven't seen this truck here.??  and you are correct, for whatever reason, these don't tend to bring big prices.  still, i agree that $2500 to $2700 is a reasonable price, especially without knowing the condition of the engine.

good luck with sale, anyway.

Edited by wallytoo

i've looked through the classifieds fairly regularly, but haven't seen this truck here.??  and you are correct, for whatever reason, these don't tend to bring big prices.  still, i agree that $2500 to $2700 is a reasonable price, especially without knowing the condition of the engine.

good luck with sale, anyway.

How would the value change for you if you knew the engine runs?

How would the value change for you if you knew the engine runs?

I think like anything, depends on the market and location.....

bought my HH last year, $1400.  the seller delivered it to me (30 miles) didn't run, brakes shot...... I now have it running, stopping and dumping and I am around the $3k mark total  (with more to do :) )

It's got 14" front drums, 5 stud wheels, serial # is a Low Detroit 1948 #. Looks like a plumbed up 2 speed rear end... Thin rims.. 152"WB?

I guess a B-1-FA-152 1-1/2 tonner.

Its on ebay now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252368571586?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Although, I'm starting to think I might buy it from the estate myself if I can figure out how to ship it inexpensively.   I could also drive it back...I don't think it would take much to get it running and driving

Of the 17 estate trucks and cars , this was the nicest.    The appears that the owner had just bought a bunch of lumber to fix an scissors lift.   He parked in the garage and then never used it again and never worked on the scissor lift.   Based on the condition, I suspect he purchased it as an original or a restored.   Compared to all the other vehicles it was in so much better condition.   Had the barn not collapsed, it would be in very good condition today.

i'd say not a 2-speed rear.  no shift button on tower, no firewall unit, no glovebox plaque, and the data tag indicates just a b-1-f.

as to value, i paid $1500 for mine, and another $1000 to ship it from MI to NH.  engine ran.  now, the sheetmetal in my truck is not as nice as this truck, but it isn't horrible, either.  yours has rust in the front fender down by the door hinges (mine are worse), and the door bottoms are rusting through (mine aren't).  my cab is a deluxe cab, while this is a basic cab, meaning no rear quarter windows, no vent windows, no passenger sun visor.  the running boards look really good (mine are, too).  as a plus, this truck looks to have the "extra" sidesill on the rear frame for added strength (mine has this).

truly, if the engine is able to be turned by hand through many revolutions, it wouldn't matter to me too much that it isn't running right now.  it could probably be made to run, and run well.  figure on another $2500 in machine shop work, new pistons, bearings, etc.  brakes might need a total rebuild (probably do), so another $700 to $1000 there.

if you start at $2700 for it as-is, one might still be looking at a total cost of $7200 or more just to get it driveable.  this doesn't include new windshield rubber, and any other interior items that might be needed.  again, nothing wrong with that, just that there is considerable expense to getting these on the road.  parts are not as easy to find as for the 1/2, 3/4 and 1-tons, which are themselves more rare than chevy/ford.

wally

• Like 2

Wally...

I agree now...no 2 speed after seeing the later pictures!

I though it a 2 speed because all I could see in the 1st posted pictures was the 1/2" vacuum manifold supply tube-but no tee to supply both the booster and the 2 speed.

Darn... guessed the rest right though!