New member with '50 Deluxe fastback

Fastback50

Hi all,

I just picked up a '50 Deluxe "fastback", or P19 fastback if my research is correct (please correct me if I'm not).  The car has sat in a barn for the last eight years, and before that it looks like it was a daily driver/old fashioned days parade type car, in other words, NOT too well cared for or properly maintained.  Mechanically I almost have it running--changed fluids, filed points, new plugs, new fuel pump, new wires, and going to change fuel lines too soon.  The rear brake drums were locked up but I got them off yesterday and was able to get it on the lift.

Getting it up in the air reveal all it's secrets, including some pretty extensive rust that has eaten through most of the body support braces where they extend past the frame rails and approach the rocker panels where they mount up to the body.  Sooooo, most of the car is not very well mounted, in other words.  I've been scouring the internet for "body braces", "body supports", etc since last evening, and am wondering if replacement parts exist, or whether I'll have to fab it up or have someone else fab it up.  Tonight I'll be taking the grinder and wire wheel and giving it and my forearms and working over.  Thoughts/suggestions?  post-9115-0-16760100-1461436138_thumb.jpg

By the way--I paid $1500 for this.  How did I do?

Edited by jxc330
  • Like 1

Tonight I'll be taking the grinder and wire wheel and giving it and my forearms and working over.  Thoughts/suggestions?  attachicon.gifIMG_0067.JPG

By the way--I paid $1500 for this.  How did I do?<<

I think you did good. $1500 ain't what it used to be,and you got what looks to be a complete car with no missing parts for that amount.

I would only suggest you make sure you are wearing a respirator that seals your eyes and your mouth from the rust/dust when you are grinding. It is bad for both your eyes and your lungs. Wear a long-sleeved shirt,and use air to blow all the dust off your clothes before you remove the respirator.

Thanks guys! Knucklehead I am currently wearing a dust mask and enclosed safety glasses but am looking at a full face respirator and a full hooded dust suit, as I was thinking it's bad for me. Last night my brother and I removed the seats and carpet/padding and I wondered afterwards if the padding may have been asbestos based. Halffast I will be checking out c2c!

Thanks guys! Knucklehead I am currently wearing a dust mask and enclosed safety glasses but am looking at a full face respirator and a full hooded dust suit, as I was thinking it's bad for me. Last night my brother and I removed the seats and carpet/padding and I wondered afterwards if the padding may have been asbestos based. Halffast I will be checking out c2c!

Not trying to be your mama,but I have COPD now due to ignoring things like respirators back in the day when I still had enough lung capacity to be able to breathe through one.

COPD is not as much fun as you might think it is.

BTW,since I can't breathe though a respirator anymore,what I do is use the hood I use with my pressurized outside sandblaster. Not saying it is 100 percent protection,but dust/sand/rust/whatever falls down,not down and then up,so the chances of inhaling any debris is minimal. They aren't very expensive,so it might be something you could look into buying from Northern Tool or some place similar. Mine came with my pressure tank and hoses when I bought them.

Edited by knuckleharley

My dad bought an identical car for me didn't ask if I liked it, just bought it and gave me the keys.   A fastback 50 Plymouth was a kiss of death at the local hamburger drive-in, hard to get waited on, ask the hop for a date, no way! Drove it for two years to college, including a trip to California and back from Ogallala, NE. No Interstate back then, 1500 miles one way. 

Edited by pflaming

Casper--yes the lower face of the back seat had a perfectly round mouse "front-door" carved right out of it, so we anticipated possibly live mice even, but just found old nests throughout the backseat and under the spare tire in the trunk---all was soaked in urine and feces, and the stench is what motivated us to get that task done ASAP.  The upholstery was unsalvageable, even if I wanted to go for an "original unrestored" look, and I'm glad to have the seats out to see the sheet metal.  

Knuckle--Just got home from the local big box store and picked up two more 3M valved respirators that are rated for "N95 approved" for "non-harmful" particles from sanding sawing or insulating, whatever that means. It's the style that affixes to your face and then has a little breather nozzle at the tip of it.  By the way--what year is your knucklehead?  I have a Fatboy, but the knucklehead is the best sounding Harley engine ever built in my opinion.  Color me green with envy haha.

rb--the list is growing as we speak--seat upholster, headliner, new carpet, Dynomat or similar, brake lines, fuel lines, brake light switch, body supports, etc.

pflaming--that's a great story, but you mean to tell me this car wasn't considered cool in it's youth? ;)

Edited by jxc330

... By the way--what year is your knucklehead?  I have a Fatboy, but the knucklehead is the best sounding Harley engine ever built in my opinion. 

Knucklehead Harley's were the most beautiful machines ever built,IMO. Mine was a 40 EL. I bought it in boxes,took it home,and built a chopper. 15 over 47 Harley springer,3/4 inch rake, 52 FL frame,which was all I had left of my pan after the theft,used FLH 74 pistons,rods,and flywheels in the EL cases, Factory "Lightening" race cam,SU carb from a Volvo,etc,etc,etc. This was in 71.

Had to come up with some cash to go to school in 76,so I sold it to one of my best friends that was a millionaire,and moved from the east coast to Colorado. He was going to send me the money when he got a draw. Instead he didn't get the draw,went bankrupt,and hauled ass with my knuckle and nobody knows where he went. I went to his mother's house in 1980 looking for the MoFo,and the first words out of her mouth were,"I know you are looking for Doug,but he's not here and neither is your motorcycle. I have no idea where he is,and you are welcome to come search through my house and garage to satisfy yourself he isn't here." He wasn't,so I just told her to tell him if I don't get my money before I see him the next time,I will shoot him in both kneecaps and leave him laying where I found him. She nodded and said she expected something like that,and would tell him when he called.

I still plan on doing that the next time I see him. He not only stole my knuckle,he betrayed my trust,and I am the guy that build his 57 show-winning panhead for him and never charged him a nickel.

BTW,one thing that make that 40 special that I didn't even know until the 1980's was one of my uncles had bought it new,and I now have a photo of my 17 year old mother sitting on it. He wrecked it after WW-2 and sold it,and I ended up buying it from the son of the guy he sold it to.  I was adopted at birth and my mother died before I ever got a chance to meet her,so that is the only photo I have of her as a young girl. Now my uncle is dead,too. I got the photo from him.

Now I'm stuck with a 76 FLH "fat bob" with a Sifton 468 cam and S&S gas carb. It's ok,but it ain't a rigid frame knuckle.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1

Knucklehead Harley's were the most beautiful machines ever built,IMO. Mine was a 40 EL. I bought it in boxes,took it home,and built a chopper. 15 over 47 Harley springer,3/4 inch rake, 52 FL frame,which was all I had left of my pan after the theft,used FLH 74 pistons,rods,and flywheels in the EL cases, Factory "Lightening" race cam,SU carb from a Volvo,etc,etc,etc. This was in 71.

Had to come up with some cash to go to school in 76,so I sold it to one of my best friends that was a millionaire,and moved from the east coast to Colorado. He was going to send me the money when he got a draw. Instead he didn't get the draw,went bankrupt,and hauled ass with my knuckle and nobody knows where he went. I went to his mother's house in 1980 looking for the MoFo,and the first words out of her mouth were,"I know you are looking for Doug,but he's not here and neither is your motorcycle. I have no idea where he is,and you are welcome to come search through my house and garage to satisfy yourself he isn't here." He wasn't,so I just told her to tell him if I don't get my money before I see him the next time,I will shoot him in both kneecaps and leave him laying where I found him. She nodded and said she expected something like that,and would tell him when he called.

I still plan on doing that the next time I see him. He not only stole my knuckle,he betrayed my trust,and I am the guy that build his 57 show-winning panhead for him and never charged him a nickel.

BTW,one thing that make that 40 special that I didn't even know until the 1980's was one of my uncles had bought it new,and I now have a photo of my 17 year old mother sitting on it. He wrecked it after WW-2 and sold it,and I ended up buying it from the son of the guy he sold it to.  I was adopted at birth and my mother died before I ever got a chance to meet her,so that is the only photo I have of her as a young girl. Now my uncle is dead,too. I got the photo from him.

Now I'm stuck with a 76 FLH "fat bob" with a Sifton 468 cam and S&S gas carb. It's ok,but it ain't a rigid frame knuckle.

Not trying to be your mama,but I have COPD now due to ignoring things like respirators back in the day when I still had enough lung capacity to be able to breathe through one.

COPD is not as much fun as you might think it is.

Same here!

Edited by 51cambridge

As a '50's teenager based upon modern perceptions I should have, skin cancer, none functioning lungs from grain dust, dead from DDT use in the milk barn, sprayed hundreds of acres with pesticides wearing cutoff,s, no seat belts, fresh milk, just to name a few things that should have done me in, so it is hard for me to observe modern safety standards even though I know better.

So I've been fortunate and now like each of you need to be more aware of things. So guys, be aware and be safe, fire is real!

Edited by pflaming

Wow that's a crazy story, plus a real bummer.  That guy must be a total scumbag, and I can't blame you for wanting  to put a hurting on him!  I agree on the knuckle being the most beautiful Harley ever built.  Since I can't afford that or a pan, my next choice would be a pre-AMF FLH Shovel.  First I have to buy a new lawn tractor lol, as mine died two days after I bought this Plymouth :rolleyes:   I got the stink-eye from my better half ;)

As a '50's teenager based upon modern perceptions I should have, skin cancer, none functioning lungs from grain dust, dead from DDT use in the milk barn, sprayed hundreds of acres with pesticides wearing cutoff,s, no seat belts, fresh milk, just to name a few things that should have done me in, so it is hard for me to observe modern safety standards even though I know better.

So I've been fortunate and now like each of you need to be more aware of things. So guys, be aware and be safe, fire is real!

Well I'm 37 and have worked in plenty of machine shops sucking coolant and other dusts, probably have had asbestos exposure when we gutted my parents' 30's built cabin with tiled floors, and have enjoyed plenty of beer, liquor, and chew/cigars over the years.  Smoked cigs on and off when I was young too.   It's all a roll of the dice I believe, unfortunately.  

Well I'm 37 and have worked in plenty of machine shops sucking coolant and other dusts, probably have had asbestos exposure when we gutted my parents' 30's built cabin with tiled floors, and have enjoyed plenty of beer, liquor, and chew/cigars over the years.  Smoked cigs on and off when I was young too.   It's all a roll of the dice I believe, unfortunately.  

some folks dice are more loaded than others.....

• Like 2

Since I can't afford that or a pan, my next choice would be a pre-AMF FLH Shovel.  First I have to buy a new lawn tractor lol, as mine died two days after I bought this Plymouth :rolleyes:   I got the stink-eye from my better half ;)

Yeah,life does have a way on disrupting all our careful planning,doesn't it?

BTW,ignore all that "Pre-AMF/Post AMF" nonsense because that's what it is. I probably put 40,000 miles on my 74 FLH and the only mechanical problem I ever had was a bad alternator,and most of them were hard miles. Put in a ditch above the treeline the morning before the Pikes Peak hillclimb,while drunk,and  had to ride it back to Denver with a dislocated shoulder and a hangover. The engine and trans were bought new at a Harley shop,and the bike was built to suit from parts. Still have the frame,but the engine is gone. It still ran good,but I wanted a 102 cubic inch stroker,so I dropped it off at a Harley shop in a nearby state for the rebuild,and they went out of business without notification,and it was said the owner crushed all the cases before leaving for parts unknown. I currently own a 76 FLH custom "fat bob" and it has been trouble-free,also.

being a 50...it is a standard setup unless some PO installed an OD...

50's didn't come with OD transmissions?

I had a 51 and a 52 to drive when I was a kid (sand dunes and beaches),and both had OD trans. Was 51 the first year for the OD?