Carburetors

BillyBoySmith

Hi all. I'm new to this forum. I have a '49 Wayfarer business coupe, and have found that the carburetor fitted isn't the same as the one shown in the shop manual, - although the manual does state that some Dodges left the factory fitted with a carter carburetor (as does mine), but doesn't show any info. I am more than capable of stripping/rebuilding the carb, but just wondered how common this is. There are other minor things in the manual that dont tie-up, but, more of that later.  Regards, and thanks for allowing me to join this forum. BB (UK resident)

• Like 1

on the air horn where the fitler element attaches there isa flange that should haveanumber stamped into it what is the number. This will tell us if you have the proper carb on your car.

rich hartung

• 2 weeks later...

late reply, I'm sure carb is correct (D6G1), just wondered how common this is on the '49 wayfarer coupe. Also, other things are not the same as in w/shop manual such as heater controls (mine has an under dash panel with 4 x control knobs - I've seen these on other same models), and windshield wipers are vacuum whereas in w/shop manual shows electric. Seems to me that the business coupe is the 'poor relative' so they stuck lots of cheaper bits on it. Having said all this, I love it !!

Is your car one built for export?  It might be a Plymouth with Dodge trim and front sheet metal.  Some times referred to as a Plodge. Built in Canada for export to Europe and other markets with right hand drive.  How long is the cylinder head of the engine?  

Maybe you can tell me ?? It's left hand drive, vin # 27009616. I'll check the c/head length asap. Wouldn't it be on a shorter wheel base if it were on a Plymouth chassis ???

Edited by BillyBoySmith
  • Like 1

My '50 Dodge Meadowbrook has a carter carb but the shop manual mentions a Stromberg, I have the model 300 heater, but also the vacuum wipers.

Hmmmm !!!,  I Just double checked the vin #, (on the vehicle), and it is actually 37008616, - NOT 27009616, as recorded on my registration document. Can't understand why it's incorrect 'cos it's very, very readable. need to contact licensing authority to correct. Hope nothing corrupt has occured.

looks like a fat finger mistake...be sure you ask hypothetically prior to acknowledging you have the error....do you have any past documentation that supports the correct number prior to this mistake...?

some states it is just a simple form that you fill out to make the correction and a trip or visit by a police/LEO to attest that the number is affixed properly to your body and is as you claim it to be...again..supporting earlier documentation will weigh heavily in your favor here.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

What is the engine number?  On the block front of engine above the generator and below the cylinder head.  Should be stamped into the flat spot on the block casting.   Should start with D29 based on Shel's copy of the build numbers.

Hmmmm !!!,  I Just double checked the vin #, (on the vehicle), and it is actually 37008616, - NOT 27009616, as recorded on my registration document. Can't understand why it's incorrect 'cos it's very, very readable. need to contact licensing authority to correct. Hope nothing corrupt has occured.

I hope you don't have issues with straightening out the paperwork.

I wondered about that earlier number as it did not seem to match any of the serial numbers I have for any Chrysler built car in my list (but I don't have all the numbers for Canada nor for those assembled outside of North America). The 37008616 number does correspond to a 1949 Dodge D29 Wayfarer so that looks good.

If its' internals have not been changed then it is a 217.5 and not a 230 that should have been there.  The stroke is the only difference between the two.

Pretty typlical for these cars to have engine swaps.  Is you car equiped with fluid drive?  It could be a concern as thecrank shaft flange of the 217.5  is only drilled for four bolts, typically the 230 had an 8 bolt setup.

Edited by greg g

Thanks Greg g, Yes, it has fluid drive. I'd like to do some under-hood detailing. The motor is a pale blue color. What is the correct color for a Dodge motor in '49 ??

Hi Billy Boy,

I'm in the UK as well, I have a 1948 P15 with the Carter DG61 on, vacuum wipers but not the luxury of a heater (It's a South African RHD car so heater not really needed).  I'm just rebuilding the carb and will be looking at a rebuild kit from the states or possibly Dallas Autoparts in the UK.  Let me know if you want me to add a rebuild kit to the order.  If you are looking at swapping out the Carter I'd appreciate first refusal on it.  email me if you want to swap stories, I'm near Kettering Northants.

Garry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Billy Boy,

I'm in the UK as well, I have a 1948 P15 with the Carter DG61 on, vacuum wipers but not the luxury of a heater (It's a South African RHD car so heater not really needed).  I'm just rebuilding the carb and will be looking at a rebuild kit from the states or possibly Dallas Autoparts in the UK.  Let me know if you want me to add a rebuild kit to the order.  If you are looking at swapping out the Carter I'd appreciate first refusal on it.  email me if you want to swap stories, I'm near Kettering Northants.

Garry

Hi Garry, Thanks for the comment. Your Car looks nice. I work at Cas-Am (Castleford American car spares/repairs) so I'm ok for parts etc. No plans to swap the carb - although it leaks a bit). I was just curious as to how many left the factory with 'Carters', and why the shop manual didn't cover it. After searching deeper into it, the fact that it has a 'P15' motor, and not a D29, might explain this, Might bump into you at Billing sometime, be good to chat. Regards, BB.

"Standard"  kit 101A will service  any of the Carter B&Bs found on Plymouth 46 to 54  and the needles and seats will fit earlier carbs as well.

• Like 1