Replacement Wheels

JPP

Ok,  I am getting my B2B close to road worthiness, I have decided to swap out my existing stock wheels and poor tires for some modern wheels and tires while I refurb my stock wheels and get the hub caps.  So while cruising ebay and craig'slist, what am I looking for?  I want the tires and wheels to look close on the size perspective to the stock wheels.  So what am I looking for? I see a lot of references to jeep parts and dodge dakota's.  I don't speak wheels and tires, so any help would be greatly appreciated.  Here is what I have today.

post-8653-0-24724700-1460770865_thumb.jpg

For modern ones that look close you need a 5x4.5 bolt pattern. That would be early dakota, some jeeps and ford rangers should also work. Those are all likely to be 15s while your stock ones I believe should be 16s.

This is great, now what is an offset, and do I want one or not?  I have seen zero offset mentioned, again I do not speak tires and wheels.  Thanks

Offset would be the relationship between the wheel mounting surface and the rest of the wheel. Zero offset is centered plus or minus would be off center one way or the other. 

Thanks for the links. So, I am not thinking spinner rims or low profile. I want a stock look, so if I get 15 inch rims, what aspect ratio will look stock on say a 7 inch tread width, 65-75??

I'm wondering about this topic as well. Have any forum members done the work of fitting modern tires and wheels to an old Dodge pickup? I'm not talking about massive tires, just something a little wider,safer and cool looking. I plan on replacing my stock rims with a nice set of smoothies and modern radials. A nice set of 15, 16 or 17s is fine by me...

The frame height is 24 inches stock.

Tires from the era were between 29 to 30 inches high.

When I built my frame, which included the Diplomat front end and a 97 Thunderbird IRS, I put the frame "to height" and built "down" from there.

You can do the same with what ever build you decide to go with.  

48D

I went through this on my B4B when I found the rims were rusted beyond safe levels inside the "barrels."  Since I wanted the stock height the 6.50 x 16" tires provided, AND I wanted my original hub caps, I looked for a good set of stock rims and was unable to find them.  I finally decided that I would run radials, and I contacted "The Wheelsmith" to remove the centers from my old rims and insert them in new barrels.  After I spoke with them, I sent my old rims and they told me the original rims had a 3 3/8 " back space ---- the min back space they could get without reversing the outer is 4.0" -- this will leave 3" to the outside.  The original has about 2.125" to the outside,  The 4"  is 5/8" greater than org. wheel.

I had them do this and powdercoat 4 rims - roughly $800 to ship the rims to them, have them do the work, them ship them back.  Took about 2 weeks.

When looking for tires, I wanted a radial as close as I could get to the original tire and I found the following comparisons:

Tire size: 6.50-16                    Height: 29.30”              Width: 6.80”

215-75-16                                 28.70                    8.46

225-75-16                                 29.29                    8.86

I cant remember which one I went with that was close to my 6.5 x 16" farm truck tire.  Regardless, they are about 2" wider and the same height.  Have not had any rubbing issues that I know of.

The Wheelsmith work looks great!  I would definitely use them again.  Hope this helps.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

post-7502-0-55277500-1465263235_thumb.jpgpost-7502-0-22646800-1465263271_thumb.jpgpost-7502-0-87288100-1465263297_thumb.jpg

Like other posters on this forum I am trying to horse-up on tires and rims for my 51 b3b.

I came across four wheels that came from a 1950 b3b. They are 16" with a 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern.

So far so good.  My question is whether they are original rims for 1950 or 1951.

Here are some additional measurements I made on the wheels:

Measured Backspace:   3 7/8"

Measured Forespace (if there is such a term):   2 5/8"

Total Width (outside bead to bead):   6 1/2"

Stated Width (inside bead to bead):   5 1/2"

Center Line:   3 1/4"    (6 1/2 divided by 2)

Calculated Offset:   Negative 5/8    (Backspace minus 1/2 Total Width = 3 7/8" - (1/2") x (6 1/2") = 5/8")

So I just wonder if these rims I picked up are stock. Somewhere I got the idea that the inside bead to bead width of stock rims should be 4 1/2" not 5 1/2".

Bunn's book on page 52 lists the Code 48 chassis as using 6.50-6P tires on 4.50DC rims which I guess means 6.50 sidewall to sidewall tire width with a 100% aspect ratio mounted on rims with 4 1/2 inches bead to bead. I don't know what the DC means. I'm not too sure about any of these old designations.

While I'm at it, would either (6.00 x 16) or (6.50 x 16) (or a close modern equivalent) tire fit on my 5 1/2" rims?

Lastly, It would be great if definitive dimensions of original Dodge b3b (and larger models) wheels and tires were posted somewhere on our forum for us restorers who are trying to be as original as possible.

Glenn -

My truck is a B4B that had 6.50 x 16" tires.  I have not mounted a tire on my original spare rim, so I will try to get you some measurements tonite.

Bob

Bob,

That would be great. If all the correct original dimensions become commonly available and are put in understandable terms, then making wheel and tire decisions would be easy. Here is the extent of my knowledge about tires and rims for these old Dodge trucks. One day I hope to get rid of the question marks and "maybes".

Rim Diameter        16"

Bolt Pattern            5 x 4 1/2

Total Width             5 (maybe)    or    5 1/2  (maybe)

Stated Width          4 (maybe)    or    4 1/2 (maybe)  (depends on which code one decides to use as listed on Bunn page 52. Not sure what 4.00DC or 4.50DC means.)

Backspace             ?

Offset                     ?

Tire Size                 6.00  or  6.50  (not sure if this means sidewall to sidewall distance)   (again depends on which code one decides to use as listed on Bunn page 52)

Tire Aspect Ratio   ?

Bob, once I have all the numbers figured out, I understand from your other post that The Wheelsmith (thewheelsmith.net) is a good choice for new rims. I called them the other day and they claim to have a way of attaching my reproduction hubcaps (from Roberts) onto their wheels. When I spoke to Coker, they seemed to be unfamiliar with attaching my repro hubcaps to their rims. So, right now I'm leaning toward The Wheelsmith for rims and Coker for Tires. This is getting complicated!

Glenn

I chose not to use their adaptor.  If the centers of your rim are not bent, they will cut the rivets and weld your original centers in new barrels.  That is what I had done and the price is not terribly different than just buying their ready made rims and hub cap adaptors.  I will include a close-up photo of one of my Wheelsmith rims, with radial tire and hub cap with the other info tonite.

Bob

Edited by Bobacuda

1953 Dodge 1/2 ton truck, fluid drive, LWB

16" tires - 6.50 x 16" standard

Rim diameter - 16"

Bolt pattern - 5 x 4 1/2

Outside width - 5 1/2"

Inside width - 4 1/2"

Backspace - 3 3/8

Offset - not sure what you want here.  Look at the info the Wheelsmith sent me, that may help you here.

Tire Aspect Ratio - I don't think this was applicable to the old school tires.  I went online for tire info (Discount Tire) if that helps

Tire size      Tire Height       Tire Width

6.50 x 16"       29.30"               6.80"     old school truck tire

215-75-16       28.70"               8.46"    radial

225-75-16       29.29"               8.86"    radial  This is what I bought

post-2050-0-12203800-1465356058_thumb.jpgPhoto of Wheelsmith repaired wheel with stock hubcap

post-2050-0-80803600-1465355834_thumb.jpg

BTW, your rims look way different inside than my original rim

Edited by Bobacuda

I didnt see this directly mentioned but Tim kind of hinted at it with his subframe swap. All the 80s Mopar RWD cars like the diplomat and volare use the 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern and plenty of them had steel wheels. Thats what I run on my truck but they are 15" if that matters. The stock hub caps will not work with these but there are tabs to run some cheap baby moons which can be found on ebay. I have never gotten around to measuring my center diameter to get the correct size but once i did i had planned to get some red vinyl stickers made that look close enough to stock hubcap pattern. Most people will never look close enough to notice that its just vinyl.

As for tires, 235/75/R15 equals 28.88" and there are a lot of tire choices in that size.

Bob,

Thanks for the photos. It looks like the rims I have are definitely wrong for my 51 so I'm going to have to break loose for new ones (ouch!) using the same size / bolt pattern that you have. The tire info is also helpful - your tire height is almost perfect.

The only reason I mentioned offset (it's probably not very important) is just because I like knowing the details because details are useful in checking originality and correctness. The easiest way to obtain offset is to calculate it. Here's the formula: just subtract your backspace from half your outside rim width.   (.5 x OW) - BS

So, for the rims you have (and like I need to get), the offset is (.5 x 5.5) - 3.375 = -.625    or   minus 5/8 of an inch.

So what does your offset really mean? It means that your rim's mounting plates (which contains the bolt pattern) are 5/8 of an inch closer (offset) to the outside side of your rims than if they were centered in the rims. This has the effect of pushing the wheels 5/8 inch closer to the inside of the wheel well. No big deal as far as I know. Dodge engineers probably picked that offset for a better overall truck appearance, but who knows?

I would appreciate someone verifying my facts and numbers or adding additional info on the original pilothouse tires and wheels.

Glenn

Glenn -

Talk to the folks at the Wheelsmith and they will be able to answer all of your questions.  4 out of 5 of my old rims were rotted to the point of no return, but the centers were good.  If the centers of your old rims are good and work with your hub caps, they can make you a set of great looking rims that look right on your truck.  Here is a profile of mine with the old rims and the Wheelsmith "fixed" rims and the 225-75-16 radials.

Bob

post-2050-0-34144200-1465399659_thumb.jpg

post-2050-0-38322200-1465399702_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bobacuda
  • Like 2

attachicon.gif20160606_172817.jpgattachicon.gif20160606_172725.jpgattachicon.gif20160606_173505.jpg

Like other posters on this forum I am trying to horse-up on tires and rims for my 51 b3b.

I came across four wheels that came from a 1950 b3b. They are 16" with a 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern.

So far so good.  My question is whether they are original rims for 1950 or 1951.

Here are some additional measurements I made on the wheels:

Measured Backspace:   3 7/8"

Measured Forespace (if there is such a term):   2 5/8"

Total Width (outside bead to bead):   6 1/2"

Stated Width (inside bead to bead):   5 1/2"

Center Line:   3 1/4"    (6 1/2 divided by 2)

Calculated Offset:   Negative 5/8    (Backspace minus 1/2 Total Width = 3 7/8" - (1/2") x (6 1/2") = 5/8")

So I just wonder if these rims I picked up are stock. Somewhere I got the idea that the inside bead to bead width of stock rims should be 4 1/2" not 5 1/2".

Bunn's book on page 52 lists the Code 48 chassis as using 6.50-6P tires on 4.50DC rims which I guess means 6.50 sidewall to sidewall tire width with a 100% aspect ratio mounted on rims with 4 1/2 inches bead to bead. I don't know what the DC means. I'm not too sure about any of these old designations.

While I'm at it, would either (6.00 x 16) or (6.50 x 16) (or a close modern equivalent) tire fit on my 5 1/2" rims?

Lastly, It would be great if definitive dimensions of original Dodge b3b (and larger models) wheels and tires were posted somewhere on our forum for us restorers who are trying to be as original as possible.

Do you know what these 5.5 wide width wheels came off of?