Rear wheel sticks out on passenger side

belvedere666

My rear wheel appears to stick out about an inch more in the passenger side. my leaf springs are in a straight line from the shackles to the front mount, and as far as i can tell, the offset on my wheels are the same. anything i should check to remedy this?

check the wheel offset again.  If you have a Dodge  (USA) wheel on a Plymouth this offset would be the result.

• 2 weeks later...

Check to insure your locating pin on the springs is intact. They have been known to sheer off and this will allow the axle assembly to shift.

bs2.jpg

checked the pins and they're in place. one thing i noticed a while back but didn't put into consideration is that the car is a 1950 and the passenger rear fender chrome trim line is a little lower than the driver side. i know the sheet metal from the 51 and 52 will FIT, but does anyone know if they're shallower than the 50?

Would it help to measure the width of the fenders left & right and compare the two ?

i know that sounds like it would be the first thing to do when discovering that! i tried. it's a subtle 1 inch difference and the inside walls are set slightly different because of the trunk and gas tank, so it doesn't measure accurately. i want to avoid pulling them off for measurement.

i know that sounds like it would be the first thing to do when discovering that! i tried. it's a subtle 1 inch difference and the inside walls are set slightly different because of the trunk and gas tank, so it doesn't measure accurately. i want to avoid pulling them off for measurement.

I've always heard the only difference is the trim being lowered yearly

Belvedere,

First thing after a close up of your car is that you do have the wrong trim piece on your fender. Maybe because they somehow seem to be very rare in  good enough condition for  even for old EBAY. Last pair on the E went for over $300++ for NOS with scratches, I know because I guess I helped the seller get good bucks!

Back to the interchange question- My Hollander interchange for these year says- a 50Ply. 4 dr. rear fender interchanges with  a

50 ply. suburban,3 pass. cpe., club cpe. & and convertible. 1951 Ply. 3 pass.cpe., 4 dr., club cpe., conv., bevedere?? number may be a 591 vs. a 501 per the book a slight miss print? Most likely because the numbers to the above models are the same 51 & 52.

The hole location  for the trim may move up or down. They may fit the models listed but exactly the same? Wider?

The fender trim piece location between 49 and 50 Ply were changed. The 50's were lower at least the fronts were, too many possibility's for the rear fenders, anyone know about the rear trim locations versus the 51 &52?

The Ebay trim pieces were for rears ONLY!  EDITED

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

yeah one side is most likely a 52 but i can't tell if its supposed to be a wider, more bubbled fender.

that says that it is interchangeable with a suburban? the suburban wouldn't have the cut out for the tail lens!

Belvedere,

First thing after a close up of your car is that you do have the wrong trim piece on your fender. Maybe because they somehow seem to be very rare in  good enough condition for  even for old EBAY. Last pair on the E went for over $300++ for NOS with scratches, I know because I guess I helped the seller get good bucks!

Back to the interchange question- My Hollander interchange for these year says- a 50Ply. 4 dr. rear fender interchanges with  a

50 ply. suburban,3 pass. cpe., club cpe. & and convertible. 1951 Ply. 3 pass.cpe., 4 dr., club cpe., conv., bevedere?? number may be a 591 vs. a 501 per the book a slight miss print? Most likely because the numbers to the above models are the same 51 & 52.

The hole location  for the trim may move up or down. They may fit the models listed but exactly the same? Wider?

The fender trim piece location between 49 and 50 Ply were changed. The 50's were lower at least the fronts were, too many possibility's for the rear fenders, anyone know about the rear trim locations versus the 51 &52?

The Ebay trim pieces were for rears ONLY!  EDITED

DJ

You are right about the suburban not being interchangeable! DUH- I own a 50 suburban and a 50 4 dr.!  Book does show that though for the 50 sub.  Shows a different # in this book for 51 and 52 suburbans guess that they miss typed for the 50  and I was going along with it. :rolleyes:

Try measuring from the frame to the outer edge of the rear fenders from side to side?

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
  • Like 1

Have you tried swapping wheels from side to side to see if the problem moves?

i haven't. i took the wheels off the day i opened this thread and checked the offset of all the wheels and they seemed to match. but i didn't have the tire off the rim. i just laid a strip of wood across the ridge and measured from the inside.

Swapped the wheels side to side just now. there IS a difference in width between the fenders. The 52 is about a half inch wider than the 50 fender. i think i discovered that the other half inch is coming from the bushings at the front of the leaf springs. they are both shot and there is about a quarter inch of play in each of them, which may result in the passenger side sticking out. i'll hopefully be changing those bushings out wednesday.