R 10 BW overdrive test?

pflaming

Short of installation and road test, is there a way to confirm that an overdrive will work?

I was about to paint this one then saw many hidden corners and edges with crusty grease,even after two steam cleans applications. Looks like bead blasting is the ticket, but not me. So it stays as it is.

post-34-0-82843600-1460586155_thumb.jpegpost-34-0-70641600-1460586190_thumb.jpeg

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

To test the rear OD section... Remove the OD solenoid .Flip the OD lock out lever to the rear and up...insert a 5/16" phillips screwdriver down into the control pawl.. push down while rotating the E-brake drum back and forth...

You should feel the screw driver go in an additional 3/8" . Now the trans is in OD . If the planetary gears and ring gear are good ( not seized up) you will be able to see that it is in overdrive. Count the input shaft turns to the out put shaft turns.

To get the trans back out of OD firmly turn/twist..the 5/16" phillips screw driver in the control pawl while at the same time pulling up on the pawl..also  pulling the OD lock out lever down and out of OD position.

. when the pawl pulls up about 3/8" the lock out lever will flip back down and out of OD. Then you can re-insert the solenoid.

• 4 weeks later...

The Borg Warner manual is on the net and pretty easy to find ,fifth avenue Internet garage has reproduced it for 10 bucks but it's the same thing as the one on the net you could down load

There is a testing protocol for all of the features by doing certain things and listening for a click at the solenoid while the unit is installed in the car

I thought it was hard to understand

But I'm slow

There's 4 million BW,s sold from the mid 3o's up to a 76 f150 pick up last used

It was a 30 $ option when buying a car and very popular

Short of installation and road test, is there a way to confirm that an overdrive will work?

I was about to paint this one then saw many hidden corners and edges with crusty grease,even after two steam cleans applications. Looks like bead blasting is the ticket, but not me. So it stays as it is.

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

EZ off oven cleaner does a fine job cleaning off the grime and gets into all corners.  Spray on, and then with GLOVED HANDS and covered arms use a small wire brush on the difficult stuff.  Rinse, dry in the sun and paint the next day.

When do you return to Maine?  We are planning to attend the WPC rally en-masse in Sep.

Mark

Thanks on the EZ OFF. I have a transmission to clean and that is welcome news. Maine, not sure, if we come will fly in, in September and attend the WPC rally. I could bring my son's very nice 55 Chevy Pickup! Would they let me in?