New member, here's my truck.

BillP

Nice! WD21?

Must be a 1939 with the lower V-shaped chrome on the front. That is a sharp truck.

Correct! And that would make it a T series so not a WD21 as I asked above. So maybe its a TD21?

Quite Magnificent !

If it still has the siren, it would be perfect to drive in LA (especially for Jeff, but maybe for Rod too)

It's getting close to gridlock, I don't do Freeways (yet...pending new differential and dsc brakes up front)

Welcome,

Hank  :)

Edited by HanksB3B

Quite Magnificent !

If it still has the siren, it would be perfect to drive in LA (especially for Jeff, but maybe for Rod too)

It's getting close to gridlock, I don't do Freeways (yet...pending new differential and dsc brakes up front)

Welcome,

Hank  :)

:Dmaybe if it has a working water cannon.....otherwise it is too nice to chance it.

Hello and thanks for all the welcomes!

Here's some more info.

1939 9 foot Express model TE, could be registered and licensed back then as either 1 ton or 1 1/2 ton, the choice of the original purchaser. WB 133", 218 cu.in. Curb wt approx 4200#, nameplate GVW is 7000#. Rear axle ratio is 4.875:1. Those are 20" tires, circumference approx 114".

Palisades Interstate Park Comm over on the Hudson bought two of these trucks. This one was converted for fire service by removing the express body sides and ends leaving the bottom, rear fenders and long running boards. They constructed a body enclosing a water tank, hoses, fittings small fire extinguishers and other equipment. A good sized pump was mounted to the front bumper and driven by the front of the engine crankshaft.

In 1972 they traded for a new fire engine; the Dodge having 4000+ miles recorded on the odometer. My father bought it in July 1982 with odo reading of 6900+.

Winter of 82-83, he removed the fire equipment body and siren, (the pump and loose equipment long gone). Sand blasted cab, frame, fenders, wheels, etc., to remove layers of alligatored paint. Mechanically, the truck was very good, all parts functioned, sheet metal had no perforations and little rust, and engine shafts and bores measured to original manufactured sizes. Most of the rubber parts were perished and replaced along with hydraulic brake parts, wiring harness, piston rings and header tube, water and fuel pumps, generator and regulator, rear axle pinion shaft seal, exhaust system, gaskets and seals, etc. Took apart trans, rear axle and steering gear box to clean and adjust. Took apart cleaned, adjusted wiper motor, throw-out bearing, starter motor, distributor, window cranks and door locks.

In 1939, Dodge offered a choice of three colors for the cab, hood and body: dark green, dark blue and red, with all black fenders and running gear. This truck was painted dark green at the factory. It is now 1939 Dodge Truck 20th Century Red.

I have the old-machine disease, too, having had 30s Cadillacs, Packard, a Model A, and other stuff for the last fifty years. I bought the truck from Dad ten or twelve years ago. It will haul a ton and a half load of rock or firewood down or up the road easily at 50mph in 4th gear. In the picture, it's dressed up for the 4th of July parade in our little town.  

• Like 3