Flat Head 6 Engine Swap 218 to 228

Fargone

I think that some people sacrifice comfort for the effort to remain stock..but after doing the rear axle swap...my comfort still wasn't there with the loud and difficult original 4 speed. I can't agree with your last line Jeff....but maybe that's the difference between working on a 1 ton vs a 1/2 ton....again..it all comes to driver preference and what the end use Is for the truck..if it's a local ice cream cruiser..maybe no mods are ever needed...if it's headed for distance drives and or daily driver....I think mods are a necessity.

I have no trouble shifting cruising with my T98A 4 speed trans and 3.23 diff.

Albeit an A833 trans would feel more comfortable, but my trans is not noisy or difficult to drive with.

Listen Man, you finally got your truck running good, the bugs are out, it's working well, sure you enjoy it a lot. I know you were wanting to sell it last year, and were not super thrilled with the OEM type flathead performance, maybe all is going well now.

Maybe we will meet up sometime and you can show me hos the T5 performs in your truck....

I think that some people sacrifice comfort for the effort to remain stock..but after doing the rear axle swap...my comfort still wasn't there with the loud and difficult original 4 speed. I can't agree with your last line Jeff....but maybe that's the difference between working on a 1 ton vs a 1/2 ton....again..it all comes to driver preference and what the end use Is for the truck..if it's a local ice cream cruiser..maybe no mods are ever needed...if it's headed for distance drives and or daily driver....I think mods are a necessity.

I think your results with OD might have something to do with having a fresh larger than stock displacement engine.

Jeff

I have no trouble shifting cruising with my T98A 4 speed trans and 3.23 diff.

Albeit an A833 trans would feel more comfortable, but my trans is not noisy or difficult to drive with.

Listen Man, you finally got your truck running good, the bugs are out, it's working well, sure you enjoy it a lot. I know you were wanting to sell it last year, and were not super thrilled with the OEM type flathead performance, maybe all is going well now.

Maybe we will meet up sometime and you can show me hos the T5 performs in your truck....

It's all what each person finds acceptable and comfortable...and my truck is still for sale...it's not about not being unhappy with it, it's about moving on to the next project and more money for my 67 Monaco...my truck worked like a champ in Regina and on the way home..but I don't get attached to things like some..if it went down the road, I'll just make new memories with another ride. It's very likely to get less use this year, now that the car is being painted, it will be the ride for the summer shows.

I think your results with OD might have something to do with having a fresh larger than stock displacement engine.

Jeff

Even if I had built a 218 I would have went 5 speed....double clutching, no synchro and that wine are not things I wanted in a cruiser, but I also have no love for stock anything... If improvements are available, I'm going to make them...same reason I now have power steering...makes the truck twice as enjoyable

• Like 1

It's all what each person finds acceptable and comfortable...and my truck is still for sale...it's not about not being unhappy with it, it's about moving on to the next project and more money for my 67 Monaco...my truck worked like a champ in Regina and on the way home..but I don't get attached to things like some..if it went down the road, I'll just make new memories with another ride. It's very likely to get less use this year, now that the car is being painted, it will be the ride for the summer shows.

Well it's what suits your needs and desires, thats what it's all about.

Good luck on the sale of the truck, it's in nice form y the look of the pictures lately.

What might be your next project?

Even if I had built a 218 I would have went 5 speed....double clutching, no synchro and that wine are not things I wanted in a cruiser, but I also have no love for stock anything... If improvements are available, I'm going to make them...same reason I now have power steering...makes the truck twice as enjoyable

T98A, full synchros minus 1st and reverse, shifts easily and quickly.

I think Merle might have a non synchro trans, they sound cool when winding up.

Power steering, don't need no stinkin power steering yet, even at 55, maybe in a few years...

Just met a gent locally, he has a 32 Chrysler with a 250 6 cylinder flathead, with a T5 trans.

This car he drives all over North America, it has 150000 miles on the clock since a rebuild in 1989.

He was looking at a 250 engine core I have, a very nice gent.

I did not chastise him for his T5 conversion, as it works for him, he thought the A833 conversion, was another great option too.

This guy drives this car all over, and great distances too, he really enjoys these engines, and would not dream of converting to a V8..

I kinda doubt that the combination of OD, a 218 and a higher than stock ratio rear axle would result in a very useful truck. Maybe if all you do is cruise without any sort of load in it ever? Perhaps I am in the minority and not too many others expect their trucks to do any work?

I am not in love with my transmission but it definitely does not whine at 65 mph. I agree it would be nice to have full synchro.....and a more useful set of gear ratios. 1st is way too low.....and the jump between 3rd and 4th is a little too big to be called optimum. I would consider a swap if I found the right transmission......but so far none of the ones being discussed come close to filling the bill.

Jeff

Tod Fitch cautioned the thread a few posts back, think all is moving along fine now, very good info being traded too.

Met a Gent today, who has had a T5 trans in his 32 Chrysler with a 250 engine, he is very happy with it, and he considered his a real easy install.

I certainly respected his view and opinion, and did not try and sway him to anything else.

So all of you T5 guys, what kinda a gear ratio spreads do you have?

Would most of them be, 4.03, 2.37, 1.49. 1.0 either .86 or .76 for 5th?

Now 4.03 is awfully low, then off to 2.37, with low diff gearing, does this make sense?

My T98 Acme is 6.40,3.09,1.69,1.0, now 1st is useless, taking off in 2nd even with a 3.23 rear gears is very easy with good response.

The A833 would be 3.09,1.67,1.0 and .73, which seems to make sense too.

I am thinking the gear spread with the T5 seems low in 1st and 2nd, were there a lot more gear ratios for this trans?

The majority are 4.03 for 1st, some 3.76, and some of the Astro Vans looked to be 3.50, at least 3.50 seems to make more sense, 4.03 for 1st seems very low....those little trucks had smaller tires, so with the 4cyl and V6s it was probably a good ratio, and depending on the diff gear ratio too...

Their not all spats, some is good back and forth information

you (and everyone else involved) know what I mean.

you (and everyone else involved) know what I mean.

I have no idea what you mean except for some posts like made by Fargo which are personal attacks, which no...they don't belong. So far this thread is not in any way out of hand..it's good info back and forth on transmission info, and people are going to disagree, but as long as they make valid points in why, it's still good info.

The worst thing this forum does is bully new members and remove threads that have good info in them, I hope that those kind of actions can be stayed as we all move forward....and I'm not saying the mods are bullying....some members do and it seems to be allowed and keeps people from the site.

Regardless....this isn't on topic, just like the post quoting me...

• Like 1

I have no idea what you mean except for some posts like made by Fargo which are personal attacks, which no...they don't belong. So far this thread is not in any way out of hand..it's good info back and forth on transmission info, and people are going to disagree, but as long as they make valid points in why, it's still good info.

The worst thing this forum does is bully new members and remove threads that have good info in them, I hope that those kind of actions can be stayed as we all move forward....and I'm not saying the mods are bullying....some members do and it seems to be allowed and keeps people from the site.

you hit it on the head....NO PERSONAL ATTACKS, NO NAME CALLING, NO TRYING TO START FIGHTS.  You can disagree on something but keep things civil.  I KNOW we have lost people because of how some things have gone here. I'm trying to stop that from happening anymore.  

If you feel soem good info was removed by a MOD, please repost it in a civil manner.  When I poof posts, I do try to see if I can't just clean up the post to make it civil first, before I just can the whole thing.

• Like 3

Oh thanx 4mula, see your "throwing me under the bus", just ole Fargo was the problem...........LOL

Not a problem, I started my post on here to inform the OP there are options besides the T5 and of course some don't like that idea, no big deal.

It always takes 2 or more to get this type of thing going, and to be honest a little spirited discussion ain't that bad at times.

I do agree there has been a lot of info that can be useful, even if the info tells me do not listen to this, as it is nothing but BS.

Very rarely have I ever seen it get heated on here; this is the nicest group of folks I've found online (This isn't a B-body or E-body forum, lol)

But when opinions flare up, I get out the popcorn.

post-1481-0-80665300-1461695824_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Very rarely have I ever seen it get heated on here; this is the nicest group of folks I've found online (This isn't a B-body or E-body forum, lol)

But when opinions flare up, I get out the popcorn.

Apparently you've never seen a Canadian beer brand disagreement...or someone try to make us drink American beer LOL

• Like 1