Flat Head 6 Engine Swap 218 to 228

Fargone

Are you suggesting violence Jeff?

use whatever trans you prefer, by all means, some prefer GM products, Some Ford Some Mopar, The OP was enquiring about the infamous T5 trans, I then suggested before he gets all "Gung Ho" that maybe he should consider other options, namely Mopar A833 option, a very simple transplant with the adapter plate.

This thread quickly become the "Gun Fight at OK Corral", hey all of you T5 converts, Great, you have done it, it works for you, keep on keepin on.

But the OP appears to be aware of the T5 limitations, the A833 superior qualities and strength.

I have no trouble with any type of conversion or modifications, wonder why some do?

Hope the OP, sees the humour in all of this and continues to be a part of this forum....

Well Fred........I guess I would prefer it to all the snorting and posturing. :rolleyes:

And I am not at all convinced that OD gearing is of any great value in a relatively stock version of one of these trucks.

I don't think they are all that safe or comfortable at speeds over 65 -70 mph and I can go that speed without the fuss of a tranny swap. What would be nice is a spread of gears that was better suited to the available power and today's roads.

Jeff

Well Fred........I guess I would prefer it to all the snorting and posturing. :rolleyes:

And I am not at all convinced that OD gearing is of any great value in a relatively stock version of one of these trucks.

I don't think they are all that safe or comfortable at speeds over 65 -70 mph and I can go that speed without the fuss of a tranny swap. What would be nice is a spread of gears that was better suited to the available power and today's roads.

Jeff

Yup gotta agree, going over 70-75 would be interesting in my old heap. Whether you stay with the 4spd FD, or convert is up to you. Sounds like you can make it work for you as it is....

Don't fight.....play nice. Or if you really feel the need to do battle.....then I think swords would work best. Just get it over with......

As far as what transmission would work best in one of these trucks I can't see either of these as being truly optimum. Especially if you are not still using the original rear axle ratio. I certainly do not need or can imagine any benefit from an overdrive as tall as either of these transmissions have.

I would be quite happy with a close ratio 4 speed with 1st gear just a bit lower than 2nd in my stock 4 speed.  And I wouldn't care what it came out of as long as it had full syncro and worked reasonably well. Could be a Skoda for all I care.

Oh yeah I do have a sword and I am not afraid to use it.

Jeff

It's like most things in life, make the right decision from the beginning and it's less work and frustration in the end. I'm with you I don't really care where the transmission and diff come from, I just want them to work effectively as a package. I also have little interest in OD I want this truck to be a cruiser I'm not planning any long distance driving. I do expect decent response in traffic and the ability to cruise @ 70 mph on the our local freeways. Hell I'd put in a Powerglide and a Ford 9 inch if that was the best package. I'd prefer to stay with Dodge built components, but sometimes you can't to get the results you want.

It's like most things in life, make the right decision from the beginning and it's less work and frustration in the end. I'm with you I don't really care where the transmission and diff come from, I just want them to work effectively as a package. I also have little interest in OD I want this truck to be a cruiser I'm not planning any long distance driving. I do expect decent response in traffic and the ability to cruise @ 70 mph on the our local freeways. Hell I'd put in a Powerglide and a Ford 9 inch if that was the best package. I'd prefer to stay with Dodge built components, but sometimes you can't to get the results you want.

And if you're staying with a manual there really isn't such a thing. Even back in the 40s-50s the manuals were warner gear or new process transmissions. Best you could do is stay with dodge sourced components.

The only way I could see OD ratios being useful in an otherwise standard Pilothouse truck is if it was paired up with a stock ratio rear axle. If you have a 4.11 or 4.56 then yes it might get some use. But then you are never going to cruise at speeds over 70 for any length of time either. Just the lack of aerodynamics with these trucks is enough by itself to firmly squash that idea. I had a taste of that this past weekend when we had 50-60mph Santa Ana winds. Going straight into the wind at 50 mph was interesting to say the least. :o On my return trip .....going with the wind I barely had to use the gas pedal. These trucks are what they are. Mine seems happiest in the 40 to 60 mph range. It will certainly go faster than that but I am not sure they really want to spend much time at speeds above that.

After spending a lot of time looking at various transmission swaps I have concluded they are all a fair amount of work and expense. At least in my application I did not see what I consider an optimum choice of ratios. At this point I will probably just live with what I have. It works and it's paid for.

Jeff

• Like 1

And if you're staying with a manual there really isn't such a thing. Even back in the 40s-50s the manuals were warner gear or new process transmissions. Best you could do is stay with dodge sourced components.

Chrysler owned New Process from the early/mid 1930s through the 1990s, so I think they would count as Mopar.

• Like 1

I'll never understand the fight to keep something all one brand, unless your building a complete stock and period correct truck...even then I don't appreciate a concourse build, any more then a complete custom one...in the end for me, if your looking to improve in what's there, first you look at supply of parts if your improvement were to fail, and then I prefer too see what others have done and learn from them. All my years here, I only ever really heard of the T5 swap, and works great for me and a lot of others...and the Process I never really heard of using until this thread. I will say one thing during a build...if your going to swap your rear diff and need a new driveshaft, that's the best time to swap the trans too...I had to get two DS's done because I switched the rear diff first, and wasn't happy with my 4 spd..so I'm about $700+ into shaft conversions.

As for wheels..I really think it's all about preference..if you just want steel, there are good cheap wrecker options out there on older Dakotas and chry cars...if you want an upgrade, you can look at dodge,Chrysler and Ford ranger/explorer/car aluminum rims. Tires will ALWAYS be radials for me, bias ply went out for a reason..their junk, unless again your building concourse and a shower, not a go'er

Me and the wife just did a large and very well put on car show by the Majestics car club in Regina,Saskatchewan ...I had the only Dodge truck there, with the exception of a very old rodded out late 20's dodge, and a GORGEOUS 67 Fargo step side..but no matter where I seem to go..I always have a one of a kind ride

post-3231-0-36061400-1461201924_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

I'll never understand the fight to keep something all one brand, unless your building a complete stock and period correct truck...even then I don't appreciate a concourse build, any more then a complete custom one...in the end for me, if your looking to improve in what's there, first you look at supply of parts if your improvement were to fail, and then I prefer too see what others have done and learn from them. All my years here, I only ever really heard of the T5 swap, and works great for me and a lot of others...and the Process I never really heard of using until this thread. I will say one thing during a build...if your going to swap your rear diff and need a new driveshaft, that's the best time to swap the trans too...I had to get two DS's done because I switched the rear diff first, and wasn't happy with my 4 spd..so I'm about $700+ into shaft conversions.

As for wheels..I really think it's all about preference..if you just want steel, there are good cheap wrecker options out there on older Dakotas and chry cars...if you want an upgrade, you can look at dodge,Chrysler and Ford ranger/explorer/car aluminum rims. Tires will ALWAYS be radials for me, bias ply went out for a reason..their junk, unless again your building concourse and a shower, not a go'er

Me and the wife just did a large and very well put on car show by the Majestics car club in Regina,Saskatchewan ...I had the only Dodge truck there, with the exception of a very old rodded out late 20's dodge, and a GORGEOUS 67 Fargo step side..but no matter where I seem to go..I always have a one of a kind ride

Hopefully in a couple a years I can meet you at that Regina Car Show and we can compare rides.

Hopefully in a couple a years I can meet you at that Regina Car Show and we can compare rides.

That would be great, or Red Deer SuperRun in 2018! But more of a chance I'd have my car at that show, as the truck was there just this past summer. I'm skipping this years SuperRun, even though it's right here at home..too many politics...so I'll shoot for 2017 in Saskatoon again. Any time you ever have questions, feel free to PM me, I'm always glad to help when I can!

• Like 2

Nice! Are those Explorer wheels? Also looks like there might be a Chrylser wagon in the background...or is that an Olds?

By the way, do they pronounce it RegEEna, or RegYna? I started pronouncing the latter because it raises eyebrows due to the fact that it rhymes with a certain female part. lol

Nice! Are those Explorer wheels? Also looks like there might be a Chrylser wagon in the background...or is that an Olds?

By the way, do they pronounce it RegEEna, or RegYna? I started pronouncing the latter because it raises eyebrows due to the fact that it rhymes with a certain female part. lol

Ya, I think explorer or ranger, and I had them powder coated in what they called hemi Orange, but there seems to be so many variations on that colour it's impossible to match. It's an old wagon, and the owner had the matching 2 door hard top to match, exact same colour and everything. And yes...it's pronounced like the lady part....up here we call it the town that smells like it sounds LOL

• Like 1

Don Coatney, on 19 Apr 2016 - 5:39 PM, said:

Greg, If you can find the link I would like to read it. 

been out of town and off the grid for a week, did a link or thread get deleted while I was gone that showed the OD 833 install, list of needs and modification for making it all come together?  If offering it up as an alternative, one would think documentation would be provided.  The OD 833 transmission is one that I have only found 5 examples of, two way over priced on Craigslist, three so incomplete and crusty I would not use them as door stops.  Sad part is that the OD 833 falls in that period of cars/trucks/vans that went to the crusher in the two back to back crusher runs leaving so very few samples to choose from.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

.......the fact is that with the all the input on the OD 833 as being the better item, and I am for all Mopar, the fact remains no install info, nor has anyone making these claims have yet provided any detail install procedures or list of times needed to make it work...that would be the best selling factor on any conversion to the guys here on the forum eager to read of other avenues.  I guess we can now count on you to provide this documentation..thanks for steeping up to the plate to do so as you are such a big supporter of this modification...looking forward to the real facts and maybe a few photos and not just some hot air...be a man, back up your words with facts

as for manual transmissions..I still have over 15 cars still with manuals and only three are stupid and antiquated though being on the tree shifters....my latest conversion is a 5 speed manual but then as it is neither a T5 or a OD833 I will not muddy the waters further...

post-19-0-92636300-1461506258_thumb.jpg

Why you ragging on Plymouth...he was just offering his opinion like everyone else. I think there are some T5 haters that THINK they know what that transmission is like and how it installs, but really have ZERO idea. I don't believe for a second the 833 is a better option, if it was....there would be piles of threads about it, and not the T5 for both cars and trucks.

I never once stated I hate the T5 conversion, not ever, but the T5 conversion is just 1 option, and i am glad you are happy with yours.

Tim Adams has not, and has no interest in any T5 conversion or any other manual trans conversion, just in case you didn't notice.

I am sorry if you cannot handle my comments, certainly has nothing to do with you, so not sue why you are taking it personally.

You have done the T5 conversion and like it great, I have no issues with that.

Glad you have your truck running, and it is working well for you.

You are 1 I have paid attention to on the T5 conversion, you wanna know why, CUZ YOU HAVE DONE IT. Adams has not, and never will most likely.

There is a guy coming over today to buy my 250 rebuilder core, he already has a T5 conversion, I am not against him or putting him down, this engine will get the A833 conversion, as he is not completely happy with his T5 conversion.

So 4mula keep on truckin man

Fred, just because I fail to inform you or the forum on every detail of my builds or what is going on in and about my shop daily does not mean that I do not have cars with standard transmissions....I just do not care for the three on the tree..I have always made that one fact very clear since day one...

Fred, just because I fail to inform you or the forum on every detail of my builds or what is going on in and about my shop daily does not mean that I do not have cars with standard transmissions....I just do not care for the three on the tree..I have always made that one fact very clear since day one...

You are not obligated to inform me of anything Tim, just how many T5 or any other manual trans conversions have you done on a flathead engine period?

Please share with us, your knowledge and experience on the T5 or the A833 conversions.

I cannot state and comment on either process, nor do i claim too, but you are giving the impression that you have this experience, so How many T5 or any other manual conversions to Mopar flatheads have you undertaken exactly?

I never claimed T5 or OD 833 install on a flathead 6..most of the folks doing the T5 have shown their how to in pics and facts..  MY CLAIM is no one has offered said support in like manner for the OD 833 and that is the very question here...I would think one would be proud of such an accomplishment they would be happy to post the methods of their success. 

As for the upgrade of a transmission to a flathead...the T5 would be my choice as they are not only readily available, but they are also supported very well in parts and repair and with offering in wide and close ratio, they are again easy to find and affordable.  Not saying the OD833 is not supportable, only that it is not one that is as common to find and as many here will attest, finding one in good shape to begins with and at a price that is considered reasonable..not near as common as the T5..the fact the T5 is so available due to the world class application across mainstream production cars makes it often the no-brainer.   There is more to an argument than brand loyality at times, I again love the all mopar, but wait, the T5 is Borg Warner and the stock flattie was Borg Warner so there is no brand loyal being discounted...

Fred, picture in post 68 may be of interest to you...that is the shifter connected to a 5 speed OD in my 48 Plymouth

Only a couple folks are here to argue..others are asking simple questions that are not being answered by those that claim the OD833 is the better choice.  A few pictures and a small blurb on the how-did would as I said earlier go a long way in providing some support for the OD833 which is what I gather is missing and the very reason for the questions seemingly being ignored..

I never claimed T5 or OD 833 install on a flathead 6..most of the folks doing the T5 have shown their how to in pics and facts..  MY CLAIM is no one has offered said support in like manner for the OD 833 and that is the very question here...I would think one would be proud of such an accomplishment they would be happy to post the methods of their success. 

As for the upgrade of a transmission to a flathead...the T5 would be my choice as they are not only readily available, but they are also supported very well in parts and repair and with offering in wide and close ratio, they are again easy to find and affordable.  Not saying the OD833 is not supportable, only that it is not one that is as common to find and as many here will attest, finding one in good shape to begins with and at a price that is considered reasonable..not near as common as the T5..the fact the T5 is so available due to the world class application across mainstream production cars makes it often the no-brainer.   There is more to an argument than brand loyality at times, I again love the all mopar, but wait, the T5 is Borg Warner and the stock flattie was Borg Warner so there is no brand loyal being discounted...

Again you are justifying your participation, that's fine, but after 21650 posts should I expect anything different.

Yes you are a Mopar lover, remember you not being supportive of the GM 10si 1 wire alt conversion, which I am currently using. You promote the Mopar alt and regulator box. I chose the 1 wire alt for simplicity, but comparing it to the Mopar alt, it is probaly not going to last or be as well built. So yes Tim, have something GM on my truck, as well as a GM electrical brake light switch, who the hell cares.

You state the T5 s available, well maybe where you live, maybe not so much where I live, parts availability and such.

I have recently had a PM about the T5 conversion, it's issues and ultimately the resolutions.

Edited by TodFitch

Again you are justifying your participation, that's fine, but after 21650 posts should I expect anything different.

Yes you are a Mopar lover, remember you not being supportive of the GM 10si 1 wire alt conversion, which I am currently using. You promote the Mopar alt and regulator box. I chose the 1 wire alt for simplicity, but comparing it to the Mopar alt, it is probaly not going to last or be as well built. So yes Tim, have something GM on my truck, as well as a GM electrical brake light switch, who the hell cares.

You state the T5 s available, well maybe where you live, maybe not so much where I live, parts availability and such.

I have recently had a PM about the T5 conversion, it's issues and ultimately the resolutions.

LMAO...are you saying the Mopar is easier to find here then the T5? I hope that was a general hypothetical comment, because there is an abundance of T5's available in our area...S10's were an extremely popular truck up here, as well as other applications that used T5's, and as for parts or repair..one of the biggest trans rebuilders around located right in Winnipeg. I've never actually seen a manual mopar car or truck in the year ranges for the mopar trans suggested...maybe in a few show cars.

Let's get this back on track, or hope we fufilled the OP's original question, which really had nothing to do with transmission...the thread is taking a wrong turn very fast, lets just end the squabble now and keep the thread in the loop for future reference.

• Like 1

I think it is important to consider that with any mod or conversion that what works for one of us may not satisfy another.

A conversion on a vehicle other than one of this period of trucks is IMO totally off topic. Unless they have been re powered these trucks have a set of driving characteristics that are unique to them. All you have to do is look at the lack of aerodynamics combined with the available power and weight and this is obvious. Trucks and cars are two very different animals. Add in all the different model variants and the ways they may be being used and this topic gets a lot more complicated. There just isn't going to be a "one size fits all" optimum conversion solution.

Many of us pickup or express model owners have already changed out the rear axles for something a bit higher. This mod by itself changes the picture for what is going to work best with the old flatty. I know for certain that I would not have any use for the overdrive gearing in either of these transmissions. About the only time it would get used is on a long downhill stretch. :)

The only way either one of these transmissions might make sense is if you have retained the stock rear axle ratio.

Jeff

I think that some people sacrifice comfort for the effort to remain stock..but after doing the rear axle swap...my comfort still wasn't there with the loud and difficult original 4 speed. I can't agree with your last line Jeff....but maybe that's the difference between working on a 1 ton vs a 1/2 ton....again..it all comes to driver preference and what the end use Is for the truck..if it's a local ice cream cruiser..maybe no mods are ever needed...if it's headed for distance drives and or daily driver....I think mods are a necessity.