Anyone make a floormat that actually fits?

Long story short, I have been working around the clock to get my truck ready for the Viva Las Vegas car show this Saturday. I am now putting some finishing touches on her before the show and purchased a floormat from Roberts. It doesn't come close to fitting and looks like crap overall. I am now going to go with a bare floor versus a mat that doesn't fit.

Needless to say, after all of my work I am pretty upset. Granted, my truck is far from perfect and built in my garage, but this makes it really look unfinished.

Here it is with the remaining sections of my old floormat and some cardboard to help make the template. I know its missing some up at the top, but the floormat isnt nearly long enough etc.

FLoormat%202_zpscgwsvr1f.jpg

After the show, I plan on attending many more shows and want to restore the interior. Who if anyone makes a floormat that actually looks like it is supposed to belong?

Edited by 59bisquik

Hope you let Roberts know their crap floor mat is just that.

Maybe then that kinda crap will not be sold to us hoping we will just accept and keep it.

• Like 2

We had a discussion on the 'pyramid' matting a while back... http://p15-d24.com/topic/25120-interior-product-that-lasts/page-7#entry306438 

I made mine up from a template which Mark (aka ggdad1951) was kind enough to send to me in Australia - thanks again Mark! I had to modify that template somewhat to make it suit our right-hand-drive trucks here, but I reckon it came out really nice.

• Like 1

Thanks Dave, I might look into that after this weekend. How long did it take for the rubber to conform to the floor shape? Did you use a heat gun or anything? What's the secret here?

While the Roberts mat was also a pyramid pattern and looks like it will be my only option, C1B's did not have a pyramid pattern floor mats. I really wish there was something that actually matched the original.

Edited by 59bisquik

NOTHING is lie ethe original as it was a cast rubber mat with a flat edge on it. I know someone who actually know where the modls are for our trucks, the problem is the run would have to be in the thousands to get them to run them again and then they wouldn't be very cheap. This DIAMOND pattern I found listed above was the closest I could find after months of searching.  Mine fits well, and after a few summers out in the sun it lays pretty flat.  Luckily my orignal is in good enough shape to use for templating.

And Davin, didn't you just have to crock the hiny in the jinx and flip it over to fit your truck?  :P

... How long did it take for the rubber to conform to the floor shape? Did you use a heat gun or anything? What's the secret here?

The Pyramid matting is not that thick and seemed to settle to the floor shape with the heat of the day over a few car shows.

... And Davin, didn't you just have to crock the hiny in the jinx and flip it over to fit your truck?   :P

...Huh? Yep, something like that. You Viking fan's talk all funny!!!

The trick to sheet rubber is getting it to relax, which can be done by laying it out on a flat surface on a sunny day. Back in 2002, I replaced the worn carpet in my D250 CTD with a rubber floormat from JC Whitney, and did this on an above-freezing sunny late-November day. I laid the mat out mid-morning, and by mid-afternoon it was very pliable, and went into the cab and over that hump fairly easy. I drove that truck daily until I sold it 4 years later, and that mat held up well and did not scoot around. But remember to measure twice and cut once when making it fit :cool:

• Like 1

Roberts Motor Parts offers a 30 day return policy on most items except electrical or custom Items for product that is unused and unaltered.  It is the right of any consumer to feel the way they feel about whatever they purchase.  No one is compelled or encouraged in anyway to keep items that they are not happy with in fact I would prefer people did not keep items that they are not happy with. I will be happy to discuss this with the customer which I have not had a chance to do prior to his negative review of both my product and my company's handling of his concerns.

Gary Roberts Jr.

978 363 5407

• Like 4

That's wierd,  my Roberts Floor Mat still looks to be in good shape despite how long it's been on and how much abuse it gets. I have to agree with Gary and he has always made good on anything that I purchased from him. The only time something wasn't right for me is that my 51 has the "hump" on the door panel. I got the straight one and when I asked Gary about it he sent the correct one out to me no charge.I know Gary and Gary always tries to do the right thing by us.

Hank  ;)

• Like 3

Thank for taking the time to chime in on this Gary.

Let me say, I have called you before about a product issue a few years ago and you made it right. Thank you for that.

My question is In a case like this, would you ever ask for a pattern (like ggdad has) to make a reproduction or do you get your products from another vendor?

also, would ever seek product knowledge from the owners of the vehicles your business caters too, to insure the correct product?

or has that research been done?

• Like 1

Hello Brent,  I could write all day in answer to your first question.  I would and do consider a variety of projects throughout the course of any given year.  I also would and do accept any sample/information/feedback that I can gain access to from all sources.  That is one reason why I check in on the forum periodically.   Specifically relating to the floor mat question you need to ask your self if there was a source for original style floor mats would you pay $350.00 for the mat ?  Would you pay $500.00 for the mat?  I know that there are a few folks who would but I think that the majority if folks would not at that price point.    

Gary,

In my opinion and situation, I would love to have a replica of the original that looked correct and dropped right in, even if it did cost $350 or so. Not everyone, but many like the underdog vehicles and want to and can afford to make them original as possible and realized that vendors and manufacturers are very limited. When on a time schedule, shipping something back is many times not an option and spending more up front would be highly preferred. 

Hello Brent,  I could write all day in answer to your first question.  I would and do consider a variety of projects throughout the course of any given year.  I also would and do accept any sample/information/feedback that I can gain access to from all sources.  That is one reason why I check in on the forum periodically.   Specifically relating to the floor mat question you need to ask your self if there was a source for original style floor mats would you pay $350.00 for the mat ?  Would you pay $500.00 for the mat?  I know that there are a few folks who would but I think that the majority if folks would not at that price point.    

for sure, no I wasn't thinking the "original style" I was thinking have a pattern that matched the correct size. that is what I thought the complaint and topic was about.... the "fit"

I can't imagine the 8" to 10" additional inches of material would be that price difference. as far as the quality.... if it is mentioned somewhere as far as the pattern and thickness than buyer beware.  :)

again, I do appreciate the business and customer service you provide. Thanks Gary 

• Like 2

I agree Brent. And with all the model variants there is just no way anyone could have all the bases covered. Without guys like Gary we would all be in pretty sad straits. As far as a timing or schedule issue goes......we set these ourselves and are ultimately responsible. With one of these "less popular" trucks it will end up taking as long as it takes to get it right.

Jeff

• Like 1

Gary,

In my opinion and situation, I would love to have a replica of the original that looked correct and dropped right in, even if it did cost $350 or so. Not everyone, but many like the underdog vehicles and want to and can afford to make them original as possible and realized that vendors and manufacturers are very limited. When on a time schedule, shipping something back is many times not an option and spending more up front would be highly preferred. 

I would be happy to discuss your transaction and would be happy to offer you a refund for an unused or unaltered item that did not meet your expectations.  I can be reached at 978 363 5407

• Like 3

Gary, if you want I can hook you up with a name and number to the guy I know who knows where the original tooling is....

:)

• Like 1