Can't pinpoint accel/decel rattle- OD the culprit?

Bob Riding

post-92-0-76407400-1460477483_thumb.jpgI'm going a bit crazy, trying to identify a rattle noise that sounds like it's coming from the tranny. I have a stock P10 transmission mated to one of George Asche's OD units. Everything works fine, I can get to any of the gears, acceleration is good (for a 75 year old wagon), but it always sounds like there is something loose on acceleration or deceleration, and under normal driving loads. I've sorted through other possible causes; shifting mechanism, clutch, sheet metal attachment points, parking brake cable, and fluid level in the tranny and OD, with no change. Do these OD units sound like that normally? Am I worried for no reason?

attachicon.gifIMG_2853.JPGI'm going a bit crazy, trying to identify a rattle noise that sounds like it's coming from the tranny. I have a stock P10 transmission mated to one of George Asche's OD units. Everything works fine, I can get to any of the gears, acceleration is good (for a 75 year old wagon), but it always sounds like there is something loose on acceleration or deceleration, and under normal driving loads. I've sorted through other possible causes; shifting mechanism, clutch, sheet metal attachment points, parking brake cable, and fluid level in the tranny and OD, with no change. Do these OD units sound like that normally? Am I worried for no reason?

Since you have eliminated pretty much everything else,it would pretty much have to be the throwout bearing.

The E-brake drum could be loose on the trans output shaft studs/flange. Common issue.

Ball and Trunnion U Joints can often cause mysterious noises.

Try this :  take down the rear of the driveshaft, remove the Joint's tin cover and insert a washer over the centering pin

Reassemble.  This will cause the shaft to operate in a slightly different place and may cure the rattle or change it a little.

On a 55 Plymouth I had the rattle was most noticeable in reverse.

• Like 1

Since you have eliminated pretty much everything else,it would pretty much have to be the throwout bearing.

I guess that's possible, however it's only got 600 miles on it.I'll investigate, thanks