P15C fuel & brake lines?

Vin's 49 Plymouth

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know what the fuel & brake Lines are made of?

I was thinking that they were stainless with brass nuts?

I'm doing a body off frame restoration, I have included some photos.

Thanks for your time!!

Vince McLellan

post-8233-0-98910700-1460467781_thumb.jpgpost-8233-0-27223600-1460467998_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Originally they would have been steel, possibly some grade of stainless since the originals seem to have lasted so much longer than the replacement steel line does.  You can of coarse, re do them in stainless if you wish.  Most now are using the cupro-nickel alloy lines, easily bent and won't corrode

AFAIK,they were made from plain steel. The gas lines didn't rust like the ones of today because gas didn't have alcohol in it back them. It had lead,and lead  helped coat the lines inside to keep them from rusting.

Do yourself a favor and use the new brake lines you can bend with your hand without kinking. They won't rust. I even use it for gas lines.

Also,make damn sure any rubber gas line or plastic fuel filter you may use is rated for use with ethanol fuel. Ethanol rots the hell out of regular rubber gas lines and plastic carb floats or fuel filters.

BTW,GREAT idea to use that boat trailer to mount your rotisserie on!

• Like 1

I used nicopp for my fuel and brake lines. Won't corrode and easier to bend and flare than stainless. I also used stainless line nuts. I added an inline fuel filter on the frame as well. On my brakes I used Dot5 brake fluid.

You can pull the stone guards off the original lines and install them on the new lines.

Earl

Great info thanks Dave & Earl. Knuckleharley I got that idea from a fellow instructor were I teach. Great handling on hwy, I took it to the sand blaster just like that.

Thanks again, I will go ahead and put plain steel lines back in after the frame is restored in a couple months.