Bellhousing to transmission gasket

48ply1stcar

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First I had just rebuilt my 218 and set it in the car hooked up to the trans and got it started, after a while I started seeing oil on the floor, hum thinking the new rear main was leaking, bummer right so I let that go for now but mind you the trans has been out for a few years and I can't get it to shift into low or reverse , so I pulled it out and the gear was stuck with light rust on the slide so I worked to get it freed and then before I reinstalled it I was reading about there needing to be a gasket between the bell and the Trans, so no more leak any longer and all is good in Mopar Land.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

After a engine change I had a noise from my old transmission which wasn't there before. The only difference  was to put this seal (approx. .03) in between. Today I added additional shims and the noise gone.  So my thinking was maybe this gasket is really thick(.08 or more).

There must be a a difference between the bell housing lengths from a '49s to a '50s engine. Both are fluid drives and I used the bell housing came with the '49s.

The one on my car is about 2x time thicker than cereal box card board.  The one I got to do my OD swap is like grocery bag thickness.  I reused the thicker one.  Unless your rear main seal has all but given up, chances are a leak at that point is transmission lube not motor oil. Or it could be both.  Check your trans for level as well as your dipstick.