Distributor for 41 Desoto

beyondrepair

My distributor must have had something fall on it while in storage to the previous owners place. Does anyone know what the distributor interchange might be for it so I can start looking for one. Its a stock original engine in a 41 Desoto. Thanks for any help! 

What part is broken? Basically any flathead dist should help you out. The 23" sixes have a shorter shaft for the dist but I believe you can disassemble and swap.

The casting is broke and breaker point plate is bent. But that is what I was hoping to hear. Should be easy to find a replacement. I didnt know if there might have been a difference between 23 and 25", or between pre-war/postwar distributors. 

Edited by beyondrepair

The casting is broke and breaker point plate is bent. But that is what I was hoping to hear. Should be easy to find a replacement. I didnt know if there might have been a difference between 23 and 25", or between pre-war/postwar distributors. 

There are differences of course with advance curve but any should get you running again.Stay away from truck or industrial ones without the vacuum advance. 

• Like 1

Being new to these engines and not having a manual, I ask this......is the advance curve adjustable?

I just lookd in my autolotile catalog. If your hosuing is cracked the correct housing is autolite  IGS-2111  used on:

Beyondrepair please contact me I have lots of info that you could use

Chry 1941

Des  1941

Dodge 1941-42

Dodge truck 41-42

Fargo 41-42

Ply 41-42

Ply truck 41

I do have the miller tool that is use to remove and install the two bushings in the dizzy body.  Let me know if you need to use the tool

The body of the dizzy that is in the picture according to my catalog is not the correct one that will work on his 41 Desoto.

Also suggest that you put an advertisement on the NAtional Desoto Club Webpage.  Are you a member of the NDC? 

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Edited by desoto1939

Well- I have some good news. I decided to go out and fight the cold this morning and pulled the distributor. What looked like a crack ended up being a big glob of mud that was flaking off the side of the body. From the vantage point I had it looked like a huge crack or break....but I still need to go thru the distributor and clean it up well because its been exposed to the elements for a few years and has rusted up a bit. So I dont think I'll need any "hard" parts. 

Thanks to all and next time I'll look a bit closer at things... <_<

Before I order any parts i think I should know for sure of this is the correct engine for this car. Can any one tell me if S8-2828 is the correct engine? Its the number stamped on the drivers-side upper front stamp pad. Thanks again...

And for ordering tune up parts you should provide the dist number. Just because you have the original engine doesn't mean you have the original dist.

• Like 1

Before I order any parts i think I should know for sure of this is the correct engine for this car. Can any one tell me if S8-2828 is the correct engine? Its the number stamped on the drivers-side upper front stamp pad. Thanks again...

This rich Hartung:  I have an Autolite catalog that has all of this information in the catalog and also a great deal of other information regarding the 41 desoto inregards to the original Autolite parts.

Contact me when you get some time.  I also sent you a PM with my information.

Rich Hartung