New guy here

Dasaint80

Hey all I'm Steve. From delco, PA. 

Monday I bought a 1953 Plymouth Cambridge coupe.

Love it! Runs like a champ!

I'm gonna give it a good once over, it's still a 6V volt system with positive ground. I have to disconnect the battery because there's something that drains the battery when it's not running. The generator is rebuilt, it has new voltage regulator and starter solenoid.

The positive from the battery goes to the motor.  When I go to disconnect the battery, the positive cable that goes to the motor is warm. Is this normal after driving around for a bit?

Vehicle Identification Number: 13169310

Body Number: 311-6615

Engine Number: P24-152184

IMG_20160405_125541_zps4w2djbnv.jpg

IMG_20160404_175920_zpseoc9cgok.jpg

IMG_20160404_175940_zpsge6pi5pg.jpg

IMG_20160405_130805_zpsmcxlydqa.jpg

IMG_20160404_160352_zpsb27xxvso.jpg

IMG_20160404_160535_zpsid8xe93q.jpg

IMG_20160404_160622_zpscjmw4ddy.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c322/dasaint80/1953%20Plymouth%20Cambridge/IMG_20160404_175914_zps6yfphynr.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c322/dasaint80/1953%20Plymouth%20Cambridge/IMG_20160404_160417_zpsuljqlfqs.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c322/dasaint80/1953%20Plymouth%20Cambridge/IMG_20160404_160340_zpsbbsqzwfl.jpg

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by Dasaint80
  • Like 2

>>The positive from the battery goes to the motor. <<

Yes,it does.

>>When I go to disconnect the battery, the positive cable that goes to the motor is warm. Is this normal after driving around for a bit?<<

Of course it will be warm because the engine is hot from driving it the car around,and the cable is bolted to the engine. Does the battery show a drain on it when you test it with the battery cables hooked up and the ignition switch turned off? Does your ammeter gauge work in the dash and show a charge when the car is running? If it does,does it show a discharge when the car is not running and the ignition switch is off?

Are there any extra wires going from the battery cables to anywhere else? Does it look like there are any extra wires going to the back of the ignition switch or the headlight switch? Wires that don't look like the other wires? Does the radio play when the ignition switch is turned off?

Keep in mind the person telling you all this thinks there  is no such thing as electricity. It's magic,powered by smoke,and when you let all the smoke out of the wires,nothing works anymore. Probably best to get a few second and third opinions.

Have fun with the new toy. Are all the tires that nice? Knuckle got you started on a process of elimination for the electrical problem. Good luck tracking down the culprit. Sounds like the battery does hold the charge if disconnected, so doubt it's a bad cell in the battery itself.

Yea I'm gonna track this puppy down! Yes the tires are that nice.

I didn't think of the engine getting hot. That does explain the wire being hot.

No extra cables are connected to the battery.

No radio in this Plymouth, I already checked the headlight switched and panel lights, they're all off.

The dome light switch is on the down position( either position will not turn the dome light on) I gotta see if there's a good bulb in it.

Thanks, I love this sweet baby,

Steve

No radio in this Plymouth, I already checked the headlight switched and panel lights, they're all off.

That doesn't mean there isn't a wire grafted to the "hot" side of the ignition switch so that some accessory may be used.

Thanks, I love this sweet baby,

Yeah,that's something we are all familiar with.

Steve

There may also be a short in the system somewhere, not necessarily something left "on".  Didn't see any photos that included your wiring or the battery cables to gauge their condition.  The insulation tends to harden as it ages and wears thin or even breaks off.  Fortunately, it's relatively easy on these cars to simply follow all the wires to check for condition, then just use electrical tape for a short term fix.  Calls for a bit of "contortionism" when working under the dash sometimes.  With 6V, our cars push more amps than 12V cars and require larger gauge wiring or you risk the wires overheating, and sometimes catching fire.  Connections also have to be solid.  The battery cables should be something like 0 gauge, not the 4 gauge common on 12V systems.  The positive cable will indeed be warm just from running the engine, but it shouldn't be warmer than the engine compartment.  If its hot, it's too small.

Looks like you've found yourself a nice car, enjoy, and welcome to the Forum.  This Forum will probably be your best resource for working on your new ride.

Edited by Dan Hiebert

Steve,

My guess based on similar experience:

Disconnect battery (for safety's sake), then remove the Voltage regulator cover......don't drop the screws! You should see three components, the V reg, the current regulator and a cut-out. The cut-out should "open" at shut-down but may be stuck in the closed position. This has the effect of making a motor out of the generator, but it can't turn 'cause it's held by the belt, so it's a dead short, which heats things up. Is the generator hot after it has been sitting while? (Of course it's hot from running).

Another way to test is to remove the belt and hook the battery back up and see if the generator "motors".

The regulator is a pretty fussy device as it pertains to being a correct match for the characteristics of the generator...... so, if it's the wrong one, the cut-out may fail to open.

F

If you find the fault is discribed as above, the points of that circuit should be dressed to remove any arching and scoring marks.  Do not use anything to do this but a points file.  Using sand paper or emery cloth can leave abrasive residue that will make the the problem worse. If that solves the problem it may only be a temproary fix and you may need to replace the regulator unit.  Unlike an alternator which is basically charging all the time the regulator cut out controls the generators work cycle according to how much curent is being drawn off the battery.  A fully charged battery with only the ignition on will draw only minimal current so the generator may only actually be working a bit or idling, the cut out is what controls that.

with ignition key off, all doors closed and all interior lighting switches in off position and if you have a clock disconnect it...place a test light inline with your battery cable and the battery post...if this light lights up (dim is low current drain, bright will indicate a higher rate of discharge) you have a short/drain on the battery.  process of elimination now starts as you disconnect from feed source each  circuit till you find the one that makes the light go out.  Once this is found you may have to go a bit deeper as often on the older car the source feeds a couple combined circuits that may have to be split at another point

do not overlook the fact that the battery could be the very culprit itself as it may have an internal short..this can be tested with the battery out of the car....

with the name DaSaint I would expect you to be driving a Jensen Interceptor...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Welcome.  Electrical woes can be troublesome but are not an inherent fault of Positive Ground 6 volt systems or 53 Plymouths.

I think PA's advice above sums it up.

I have found slow drainage of power in Electric clocks and  automatic trunk and underhood lights and once in a stoplight switch which left the stoplights on, but too dim to see in daylight. A stuck regulator contact results in about a  25 amp draw, visible on the ammeter as soon as the engine is shut off.

Edited by dpollo

Now if you are truly a Saint fan, you will have read the books by Leslie Charteris.

Simon Templar drove a Hirondel  and  later a Desurio,   both fictional but truly fantastic sports cars.

These books are really great reading.

Great reading,   suspension of disbelief : essential

more relevant to this site, Bogart's 38  (sometimes 37 ) Plymouth coupe   and freeze framing a  35 PJ which was  Harry Smith's ..? .. not sure of his name  now but  an incidental player's car in The Big Sleep,  the registration slip actually described the car correctly.

Freeze framing was not possible for audiences  back in the day but attention to detail seemed to be important. Still in all, the Saint was entertainment .  This in no way helps Dasaint with his electrical woes but this forum is great entertainment too.

• 1 month later...

The issue with the battery dying must have been a dead or old battery. I replaced the battery and my battery has not died yet, I did add a Breaker for when the car sits for a long time.

I checked under the dash I couldn't find any cables for radio or cigarette lighter.

Thanks all,

Steve

Hey DaSait80,  This is rich Hartung and I grew up in Secane pa just off of South Ave and near Lady of Fatima school and Church.  I graduated from ridley HS back in 69.  I currently live near Audubon PA which is about 3 miles from King of Prussia.  I own a 1939 Desoto.  Welcome to the greatest forum. There are a lot of great MoPar owners and they have an extensive amount of knowledge.  Keep working on the car and keep everyone posted on what you find. This is the best way to understand your car.  The picture of the street look familiar to me but can not place from my memory.

My email is desoto1939@aol.com       

send me your email address and we can swap contact information.

Rich Hartung

Now if you are truly a Saint fan, you will have read the books by Leslie Charteris.

Simon Templar drove a Hirondel  and  later a Desurio,   both fictional but truly fantastic sports cars.

These books are really great reading.

Especially when you are maybe 12 years old and discovering how magical the world can be.

borders too much on the lines as James Bland...some sort of double zero agent..

Not really. He predated James Bond by a good amount. More like a quasi-criminal Dick Tracy.