Reproduction floor mats

Woodywagon

As to repairing tears in old rubber matting, My P18  back rubber floor mat was in really amazing shape save a few tears. I flipped it over and covered the torn sections with Dynamat. Helped with noise as well.  So far it's holding together great. 

Albeit, I don't get much traffic in the back anymore. Alas those were great times.

If there was a big market for the rubber mats which there is not, don't you think these mats would still be made? Most folks want carpet in their cars. If someone had the molds for the mats which must weigh a lot not to mention large, it might be difficult to relocate them if needed. If someone had the molds, finding a company that could make the mats may be a problem. How much are such molds worth? These may have been issues the owner of the molds had to deal with if the original mat maker forced the owner of the molds to relocate. Many would like to have the option to get an original rubber mat  and it is too bad that is not possible unless someone wants to make new molds. Talked with the Plymouth Doctor about this and he could not see the market good enough to make the investment in molds.

If it would not destroy them to unroll them, I'd like to see some pictures of the original mats you have.  I'm picturing a shaped mat with grooves (or ridges, looking at the other way) about 1/2" apart, and shaped like half rounds. (The grooves.  I'm thinking tha tthe peaks or ridges were sort of pointed - is that accurate at all?)  Then there was a border about maybe 3/4" wide all around the edges.  I might be thinking of the floor mat that was in the 53 DeSoto my folks had, but that was a lot of years ago, and I don't know if it is still in the car (my younger brother has it).  Some basic dimentions would be helpful, too.

Am I correct in remembering that the rear floor board area had carpet, and the front had the rubber mat?  (Or was there a difference between the DeLuxe & the Special DeLuxe?)

Almost miss this reply.  The floor mat that I have, I believe is a after market and in a corner it has raised letters "1947 PLYMOUTH" it looks original.  This week the temperature in the mornings is in the mid-30s.  I'll try to get the mat outside and take some pictures, because installing the mat this summer will be one of my projects.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Where the rubber joins at the center, the rubber is not glued or physically attached. To get such a fit took a lot of trial and error work which resulted in making an opening that would allow such a fit. Other places such as  on the side, pieces were butted together and on the back side a piece was glued over this area to hold them. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 9:57 PM, suntennis said:

Attached is a rubber carpet I made for a 52 car that is very close to the original. It can be a challenge and maybe fun to make.

P7290232.JPG

P7290235.JPG

Suntennis-

You said that you made this.  Where did you get the stock to make this?  It looks real close to original.

Thanks for your interest in the floor mat. I thought I had bought the material from Restoration Specialties but presently it is not in their catalog. They do have some roll rubber in their catalog on page 90 that may work for you. Should you want to take on such a project similar to what I did, materials could cost $150 to $200. If all you want is to make a rubber mate and do not care  if the pattern is close to original, then part# MAT018 page 90 should do the job for you. If you look close to my mat you will see it is like a reverse pattern of that on page 90. I was not able to find any roll rubber that had a pattern like the original mat so I bought some material and modified it. Should you make a mat you will need a pattern. I made a pattern and figured out how to cut the rubber in the center to get a good match. The rubber in the center is not glued, it just mates well. More information than you wanted.  .

Edited by suntennis