Reproduction floor mats

Woodywagon

Good luck finding the mat. Some years back there was a  man making these mats from the original molds, but he got out of the business and destroyed the molds. If you just want a rubber mat but will settle for not original, I wonder if a after market  Ford or GM mat  could be fitted to your car. They do make mats for the 40s Ford cars and trucks. It is possible to make a rubber mat yourself.

Good luck finding the mat. Some years back there was a  man making these mats from the original molds, but he got out of the business and destroyed the molds.

I don't know who that ahole was,but I am very glad I never gave  him a dime of my business.

What did he gain from destroying the molds,other than insuring no one else would ever profit from them if he couldn't? If he had just sold them to Steele or someone for 10 bucks that would have been 10 bucks more than he got out of destroying them.

I hope only bad things happened to him for the rest of his life.

• Like 2

I know who that guy was but will not tell. He did make some P-15 Repro mats.

Was he a nice guy?

No,he was a selfish,self-centered prick that didn't give a damn about anyone other than himself.

• Like 1

OMG   :eek:

OMG   :eek:

What do you call someone that purposely and knowingly destroys something useful of historical value that people will want and need,for no reason at all other than to keep anyone else from benefiting from it's existence?

The market for early 50's Mopar stationwagon mats is so tiny we all know that it's not worth the time and money for Steele or any other rubber re-pop company to make new dies.

• Like 1

After reading these comments I am wondering if I could make a reverse mold with plastic dip.  I have a new floor mat that has never been installed.  I bought the mat new in the box and there are little tears where the rubber has split.  I have been thinking about painting it with either Plastic Dip or Flex-steel.  Any ideas out there?

I have also been looking for full width one piece rubber mats......for the front and back of my '51 Desoto.

Haven't come up with any good solutions yet. I'm interested in seeing how this goes. 

Dean

I have also been looking for full width one piece rubber mats......for the front and back of my '51 Desoto.

Haven't come up with any good solutions yet. I'm interested in seeing how this goes. 

Dean

I got a large piece of rubber matting from a van converter who ripped it out to install carpeting.

maybe a bit off but for my last trunk mat I used a 1/2" thick horse stall mat.     worked great except it took forever to get that heavy rubber smell to go away.  they make great truck bedmats too.

I don't know who that ahole was,but I am very glad I never gave  him a dime of my business.

What did he gain from destroying the molds,other than insuring no one else would ever profit from them if he couldn't? If he had just sold them to Steele or someone for 10 bucks that would have been 10 bucks more than he got out of destroying them.

I hope only bad things happened to him for the rest of his life.

No,he was a selfish,self-centered prick that didn't give a damn about anyone other than himself.

What do you call someone that purposely and knowingly destroys something useful of historical value that people will want and need,for no reason at all other than to keep anyone else from benefiting from it's existence?

The market for early 50's Mopar stationwagon mats is so tiny we all know that it's not worth the time and money for Steele or any other rubber re-pop company to make new dies.

How do you know if he is still alive? He may have died and his family liquidated his estate. Or he may have been in financial straights. Whatever reason he had made sense to him or his family and I have a hard time believing he did this just to piss anyone off. Two sides to every story. Lighten up a bit.

• Like 3

After reading these comments I am wondering if I could make a reverse mold with plastic dip.  I have a new floor mat that has never been installed.  I bought the mat new in the box and there are little tears where the rubber has split.  I have been thinking about painting it with either Plastic Dip or Flex-steel.  Any ideas out there?

If it would not destroy them to unroll them, I'd like to see some pictures of the original mats you have.  I'm picturing a shaped mat with grooves (or ridges, looking at the other way) about 1/2" apart, and shaped like half rounds. (The grooves.  I'm thinking tha tthe peaks or ridges were sort of pointed - is that accurate at all?)  Then there was a border about maybe 3/4" wide all around the edges.  I might be thinking of the floor mat that was in the 53 DeSoto my folks had, but that was a lot of years ago, and I don't know if it is still in the car (my younger brother has it).  Some basic dimentions would be helpful, too.

Am I correct in remembering that the rear floor board area had carpet, and the front had the rubber mat?  (Or was there a difference between the DeLuxe & the Special DeLuxe?)

Sad story but if it is any consolation, the mat, while very nice was too narrow and needed about an inch

more material on each side to cover the floor..... unless a P15 convertible is wider .  An upholsterer stitched a strip

of  black plain rubber along each edge.

How do you know if he is still alive? He may have died and his family liquidated his estate. Or he may have been in financial straights. Whatever reason he had made sense to him or his family and I have a hard time believing he did this just to piss anyone off. Two sides to every story. Lighten up a bit.

I "know" it because the poster that wrote about him wrote "I KNOW......",not I KNEW. Seems to me to be a pretty clear implication that the guy was still alive when he sold the dies.

As for him "being in financial straits" goes,WTH needs money,has something valuable he can sell,and then destroys it instead of sells it?