Anyone have a source for overdrive lockout switch?

rhelm1953

Previous owner installed an overdrive transmission in my 1950 Special Deluxe but did not bother to install all the electrical connections, just a toggle switch on the dash to activate the solenoid.  I've now installed the Overdrive relay and kickdown switch, added a seal for solenoid where there was none and am just about ready to test it out.  However the overdrive lockout switch seems a bit sketchy, I measure about 20 ohms across the contacts when the switch is closed and that seems a bit high for a switch, I suspect an internal seal has failed and I have gear oil on the contacts.  The switch appears to be a sealed unit and not serviceable and my on-line searches have not turned up a source for a replacement switch.  Overdrive is Borg-Warner R10G, year unknown.

Does anyone know a source where I can buy a switch, or for that matter is 20 ohms too much resistance?  Appreciate any leads.  Thanks

It does thread in with two screws for the wires, I can take a picture this evening and post it.

Yes, there were no wires attached to the switch, I tested it on the bench and in the car with the same results.

It might be the same switch they call an interrupt switch on the semi-auto trans. See them on eBay in the past. On the semi-autos it kills the ignition to allow it to downshift. They have uae a rubber boot that is on eBay. I can't say it's the same switch but sounds like it.

Is it normally open or normally closed?

Earl

I believe it is the same switch that is used on the semi auto.  Make sure the little bullet has been inserted between the shift rail and the switch when you install your new one.   The unit will operate just fine without the switch but you will be operating the electrics

when it is locked out and that is not a good thing for the engagement solenoid.

Here's the OD lock out switch plunger and a pic of the same lock out switch as used on the M-6 semi auto trans....

post-302-0-85399000-1459906844_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-01887000-1459907176_thumb.jpg

Thanks Earl and every one, I compared the switch on ebay to the one from my car and it looks like a match. I've purchased the switch and should have it in a week. One step closer to getting my Plymouth back on the road.

Included a couple of pictures because everyone likes pictures, plus I want to see if it works. I have also converted to electric wipers and will add a post on my experience.

post-7857-0-05976500-1459917729_thumb.jpg

post-7857-0-09556600-1459917792_thumb.jpg

Beautiful car!!

Absolutely gorgeous.   If I were to have only one car, I would have a 50 Plymouth.

what did you use for the electric wiper motor change over?

Plans for a floor covering??

Great looking 50!

Thanks, DJ

Thanks to Earls ebay skills I now have a good lockout switch but now I realize the plunger is missing as well.

Does anyone have an extra plunger for the overdrive lockout switch they would be willing to part with?  If so let me know.

If no one has a spare plunger can someone send me the dimensions (diameter and length) so I can get one made.

I am now beginning to understand why all of the overdrive controls were bypassed and there was just a toggle switch to activate the solenoid...

Thanks for any help!

• 1 month later...

I believe it is the same switch that is used on the semi auto.  Make sure the little bullet has been inserted between the shift rail and the switch when you install your new one.   The unit will operate just fine without the switch but you will be operating the electrics

when it is locked out and that is not a good thing for the engagement solenoid.

Can you elaborate on running the overdrive without the lockout switch and what it may do to the engagement solenoid?

Thanks!