I want to know more about 218 and 230 with engine nr SP15

fredde

The only thing I got is that it is an export  ., nothing more, or if it is a 218 or 230. or?
I have got hold of a in excellent condition

Engine No. SP15 * 848292 * in a De Soto -48,

But the crankshaft and connecting rods are gone,
Can these parts to get hold of, was, give me a note. anyone here perhaps, which would send to Sweden?
Give me a note.
would be nice with a 230 crankshaft and connecting rods. so I get up the engine.
Edited by fredde

SP15 is the export, Plymouth based DeSoto, at least thats what it refers to here in Australia....Fredde going by my 1946-53 Oz shop manual here in Oz the SP15 got the 3&3/8th bore engine which was the 25" version so as Don mentions measure the cylinder head to get an exact answer to what it is........23" Plymouth/Dodge...........25" DeSoto/Chrysler........if this engine, whatever it is, is missing the crank & rods by the time you chase up those parts from the USA you maybe better just to chase a whole engine, (well at least from head to sump sealed up), as the cost shipping relatively speaking would not be much more and you are not having to pay for someone to strip an engine down to get the parts you want then ship those bits.............so, why is this engine missing the crank & rods?..............and how excellent is it, ie, pistons & rings are o/k?............not trying to confuse the issue but being in a similar situation to you , ie, overseas from the US, if a crank & rods were unavailable here in Oz I'd get a whole engine and be done with it..............anyway just trying to help..............my regards from Oz, Andyd   

• Like 2

SP15 could have originated in Detroit    23 inch  3 1/4 bore engine   or on Windsor  25 inch  3 3/8  bore engine

so before you go looking for rods and pistons this is something you must know.  Both engines were referred to as 218 s

although here in Canada we usually called the American engine a 217. This engine can be built into a 230 by using the crank and rods from a 230.

The 3 3/8 bore engine can also be enlarged by using crankshafts and rods from other 25 inch engines.

• Like 1

The length is 23 "and 3 1/4 bore Engine. but is 218 or 230?

and I would like to know some data on it,

block almost no torn,

a bit of surface rust so it needs a drilling.

I got a hold of the engine and they came with new pistons and cam bearings, water distribution pipes, oil pump, gaskets, all yes everything except the crankshaft and connecting rods, so it seems a shame not to prepare the engine

Edited by fredde

Andydodge

The engine was out of mind in the early 1960 's. and would change the comb and submit the block on honing to get it in good condition, on reached strangely disappeared, crankshaft and connecting rods and the engine has just been standing since then until I got a hold of it here in Sweden.

The engine is the same as the Plymouth P15.  Chrysler simply added the "S" to the engine number to make it a DeSoto engine.   Thus, as the US-built P15 used a 218 (or 217) engine, your US-built SP15 has a 218 (or 217) engine.

The export Plymouth-based DeSotos were built in both Canada and the US and were sold as DeSoto Diplomat starting in 1949. 

The length is 23 "and 3 1/4 bore Engine. but is 218 or 230?

Your engine was originally a 218.  You can build it as one if you use the crank and rods from a 218  (217) That is a 4 3/8 inch stroke.

With a 230 crankshaft  you can build it as a 230. 4 5/8 stroke.  230s were found in Dodge  40s through 59 and Plymouth  mid 54

through 59 and in many truck and industrial applications up to about 1972.  I am told that crankshafts from 55 up were more durable than earlier ones.   In any case, you need the rods that match the crankshaft.  There are minor differences in the crankshaft to flywheel flange which have been discussed elsewhere on this forum  but generally, 230 shafts have 8 bolt holes in the flange while 218s have 4.

The American engine is 217.8 cubic inches

The Canadian engine is 218.06 cubic inches  

In Canada we called the American engine a 217 just to avoid  confusion.

Americans rarely saw the Canadian engine unless they lived in border communities so 218 worked well to distinguish their engine from the 230    The difference between these engines is the stroke.  (crank and rods)

Rounding up 217.8 to 218 is a  natural thing to do.  The 217.8 and the 218.o6  are very different engines as explained earlier.  I just wanted you to be clear on what you have before you start spending money on parts.

Freddie.........reread dpollo's last 2 replies, you have the American engine........the Canadian engine whilst almost identical in capacity had a DIFFERENT bore and stroke so its pistons, rings, con rods and crankshaft will NOT fit the American engine.......makes sense?......lol......andyd

So build the 218.  Its performance is certainly adequate.  Back in the day, it satisfied millions of owners over the years.