Mid- 50's Mopar power steering compatability

Tommy

I may be wrong about this,but it seems to me that given the rarity and expense of rebuild 50's Mopar power steering components,even if it were a direct swap,which it won't be,it would still be cheaper to use modern components.

I'm that way with disc brakes. I see no reason to make the swap as long as my drums are good,but if I go to rebuild a older brake system on a car that isn't restored and the drums are too thin to turn,I will be putting disc brakes on it and be done with it. Hard to beat the combination of "cheaper and work better" on a driver car.

although Im far behind on my project and am more likely to leave it as is, I was intrigued by the new electric power steering conversions people are doing.  It involves taking the electric power steering motor out of the 1990-2000ish saturns.   I think for earlier Mopars the steering shaft cover has to be cut out.  Im still trying to figure if its feasible on my 52, but its certainly worth looking into

• Like 1

...and what happens to the ability to steer the car if an electrical failure occurs?

It should also be noted that saturns have been out of production since 2009....

There is a Dutch company that sells a rather interesting system that is used on Jaguars and other old European cars. It is pricey but looks interesting.

http://ezpowersteering.nl/25/170/EZ_ELECTRIC_POWER_STEERING.html

Lemme see if I can find a six volt Saturn. Hmmm

Not everyone keeps their car 6V. Especially those that are adding mods like power steering. I'd convert mine to 12v but don't want to spend the cash right now. If I put AC on the car, I'd convert. Then I could also run the mini Mopar HEI distributor electric cooling fans and all kinds of goodies lol

Earl

Not everyone keeps their car 6V. Especially those that are adding mods like power steering. I'd convert mine to 12v but don't want to spend the cash right now. If I put AC on the car, I'd convert. Then I could also run the mini Mopar HEI distributor electric cooling fans and all kinds of goodies lol

Earl

That's all true,but a lot of guys like to keep the big,beautiful steering wheels the cars came with,and unless the power settings are super adjustable,the big steering wheels might provide too much leverage and make you have to "steer" the car the whole time you are driving it.

All goods. I would love PS on my car but would rather have AC. Lol I have manual dual circuit brakes with front disc which I'm fully happy with. If I was doing a modern engine swap I'd definitely do PS than. Id want to keep my original column and wheel. I steer from the spokes near the center while at crusie, so I wouldn't have an issue oversteering. That could be solved by installing a rack or gear that has sport valving or run a lower pressure pump to cut back some of the steering wheel leverage. I'm no expert on PS systems but I'm sure it can be done or has been. Especially for someone that has a physical impairment that needs PS.

I love full original cars as well as modified. Each person has that choice with their car.

Earl

• Like 1