B3B Build thread

I've only posted with problems I've currently had with my pickup, so I'll start with a build thread.

I got my engine dropped in, rebuilding my distributor now ( picking up points set tomorrow), The transmission is bolted up and I have few things left for my Park/Hand brake. Will be attempting to start the engine once the points are in. The brakes will next, then wiring kit and last body work.

The engine is a 230 from a '50 D34, Transmission is three speed floor shift from a '37, using the turn key starter from the D34 as well.

I lowered the truck, removed two leaves from the front and three from the rear, now with the engine sitting in and the wheels cut to the right the drag link is hitting the bottom of the oil pan, being a rear sump pan. 

I will try to get some more pictures up when I can.

The engine that was in the truck before had the rear sump, but removing 2 leaves from the front now made in an issue.

GGdad on here had this same issue. His truck is a 1ton with stock springs and he still had issues on bumps until he swapped pans.

With the help of a friend of mine we got the engine running last night and let idle for a couple minutes. The transmission I have is out of a '37 so I'll be using the same driveshaft from the '37, I also have to get the yoke from the rear axle to put onto my '52 since the U-joints are different. Anyone else had the same problem?

Is there anyway to look up a transmission by the numbers on the sides of the casting? I have a 4 speed that my grandpa put in the truck, It was a bulldog that came out of a larger truck, but without knowing the size it would be harder to find parts for. Anyway, the numbers on the block look to read C-38561.

You put the leaves back in, but did you account for road travel where those leaves will sag agin once the truck is driven, and on a hard bump, can the truck go down enough to interfere with the steering? I'm an expert at this after installing a rack and pinion to my solid axle and fighting with oil pan clearance issues....I think you need to get the correct oil pan, and save all the hassle you might have...which could include a popped engine from ripping the pan, or worse, losing control of the truck from them hitting and jerking the steering. Just my .02

• 1 month later...

Been a little while from my last post, got the engine out and trans swapped and then reinstalled last night, today I got the drives haft hooked up and the clutch and brake pedals in. Now I need to do a little modifying to the floor pan to allow the pedals to come up all the way.

Big thanks to 48Dodger for the new truck "man pan" to clear the axle and drag links.

Now I have a question. For you all who have a 4spd non-synchro, what kind of spacer is there between the clutch and brake pedal? I'm currently using the bracket that holds the springs and connects to the bell housing and rod for the clutch. It's still too small because the pedal rocks back and forth.

I will post some progress pictures soon, and also will be trying a test drive soon(couple months)!!!

• Like 1

There should not be a spacer there. I wonder if you need to put a bushing in on the pedal......could be very worn?

Jeff

hmmm, one of my b3b's (non fluid drive) also has what looks like a thick washer post-6005-0-43244300-1463061569_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brent B3B

hmmm, one of my b3b's (non fluid drive) also has what looks like a thick washer attachicon.gifpedal.JPG

I just crawled under mine and there are definitely no spacers. The bracket between the pedals is more like 3/4" wide though. I suppose if you have too much play you could try adding a thick washer between the bracket and the pedal.

Jeff

• Like 1

I just crawled under mine and there are definitely no spacers. The bracket between the pedals is more like 3/4" wide though. I suppose if you have too much play you could try adding a thick washer between the bracket and the pedal.

Jeff

yeah, I'm under the impression it is a "farmer fix" after the bracket broke. my fluid drive and HH both have the bracket..... i'll have to check my column shift one later

Martin, yours looks like it has the correct bracket.....   

yeah, I'm under the impression it is a "farmer fix" after the bracket broke. my fluid drive and HH both have the bracket..... i'll have to check my column shift one later

Martin, yours looks like it has the correct bracket.....

The picture you posted has the same bracket for the springs as what was on mine. The bracket came off of the 37 bellhousing.