New from Minnesota

Worden18

Hi Everyone, my name is John. I'm new to these forums but not to old Dodges.  My new ride is the oldest Dodge I've owned thus far.  I just HAD to have it.

It's a 1951 Dodge Meadowbrook with Fluid Drive.  It is all original, including the paint and interior.  I'm going to leave it as-is and just drive it.  It has 59K original miles with less than 1,000 of those miles in the last 40 years.  One of the front wheel cylinders blew out on my drive home a couple of weeks ago, so right now I'm replacing the front brake cylinders, shoes, and lines.  I'll tackle the rear after that.  I also ordered a carb kit and a fuel pump for it, and I'll probably have the radiator reconditioned (re-cored if needed) before too long.  I will leave the entire system 6 volt.  

The car looks better in the pictures than it actually is; the rockers are shot and there is some rust holes in the body, but it is what it is.  I love working on it and driving it, so that's what matters to me.  I am the 4th owner.  The original owner's name is stamped on the back of an original Dodge medallion that is attached to the key ring along with the original keys. I'll post pics of those keys later; they are really cool!

Doing some online research along with some information passed on to me from the guy I bought the car from, the original owner was a professor at Winona State University here in Winona, MN BITD.  He purchased the car (new obviously) in 1951 when he was 37 years old from Seifert-Baldwin Motors (Chrysler Plymouth Dodge) in Winona MN.  I'm not sure when he sold it to owner #2, but the original owner died in 1996 according to an old obituary.  One of the bias-ply tires still has his name written on it (Sebo).  The tires must be 40, or more than like 50 years old.  They're shot so I will be replacing them with radials soon.  

I guess radios were an option in those days; mine does not have one.  But the second owner found and original one and left it in the trunk, never installing it.  Not sure if I will hook it up or not.  Something to think about anyway.

I was surprised how nice the car rides/steers, and how easy the Fluid Drive operates.  Also, the 230 flathead isn't a dog like I thought it might be.  It has really good power and easily cruises along with modern traffic.  

It's certainly not a flashy show car, nor an Imperial or anything, but I love it.  Hope you guys do, too!

Couple more things:  I really like the hubcaps, and I found a 1951 MN license plate that I will use in place of the collector plates.

link to my photobucket page with more pics:  http://s1142.photobucket.com/user/gorfmaster/library/1951%20Dodge%20Meadowbrook?sort=3&page=1

1951%20Dodge%20Meadowbrook%201_zps4zmwvw

1951%20Dodge%20Meadowbrook%207_zpstszrte

1951%20Dodge%20Meadowbrook%202_zpstkgsy3

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 2

Hey John,

Welcome to the forum. Like the car and you're one of the few that I've seen to have a complete horn ring. Your right about the 230. It is smooth and cruises really well at about 60 mph. I keep mine at about 55 most of the time due to engine noise. (still working on the interior to sound-proof the cab). Anywho welcome and have fun with the forum. The fellows here really have a lot of knowledge and can be opionated, but they have been really helpful.

Joe

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, it a great place to learn.  Your Dodge looks very solid and I like the idea that you are going to get her safe to drive and leave as is for the time being. 

If those are Packard Hubcaps, don't discard them, heck, leave then on the car, it would have been done that way years ago.  Anyway, good luck with your Dodge

• Like 1

Looks great! What part of MN you in? There's a couple of us around the Twin Cities. Couple more guys from the truck side(I'm a crossover with both)

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, it a great place to learn.  Your Dodge looks very solid and I like the idea that you are going to get her safe to drive and leave as is for the time being. 

If those are Packard Hubcaps, don't discard them, heck, leave then on the car, it would have been done that way years ago.  Anyway, good luck with your Dodge

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.  I appreciate it; I just wanna have fun....

The hubcaps are actually Dodge; I believe them to be original!  They say Dodge above and below the center.  I'll have to snap a closer pic so you can get a better look at them.  I'm no expert with this stuff, but I can say I haven't seen a set like the ones on my car before.  Dog-dish-like....they don't cover the whole wheel.

Looks great! What part of MN you in? There's a couple of us around the Twin Cities. Couple more guys from the truck side(I'm a crossover with both)

I'm in the southeastern corner near Rochester and Winona, about 2 hours south of the Twin Cities.  I'm kinda looking forward to taking the car to some shows this year; I suppose it could be entered in the all original class, or the "what the hell did you bring that here for?" class LOL.  I'll have fun with it either way.  Thanks for having me here on the forums.

Hey fellas I do have one quick important question I'm hoping someone can answer.  

Can the oil pan be dropped without removing the swaybar (I think that's what is underneath it)?  I want to take it off and clean it inside and out, put a new gasket set on, etc.  Just curious as to what I might be up against if it doesn't just drop down without removing other things first....

maybe the steering draglink...sway bar should be way forward on that year vehicle.. they can be loosened and dropped out of the way..

Ok, thanks for the info

Sweet ride. These cars tended to have spent their lives pretty close to where they were first sold. Mine was manufactured in Detroit but has been in Central Indiana it's whole 'life'. Who knows how old the corn and clay is stuck to the bottom of it? LOL.

Edited by 50 coupe

Hey fellas here's a couple pics of the original keys.  On the front of each key you can see the "T" and "I" for trunk and ignition.  The little Dodge medallion is just plain awesome.  One the back of it the original owner's name is stamped, and he put his address on the backs of the keys: 1859 W 5th St. Winona MN 55987.  Pretty cool!  And oh, the background is a Champion Spark Plug ad from a March 1949 Life Magazine I happen to be paging through LOL

Original%20keys%2051%20Dodge%202_zpscyxr

Original%20keys%2051%20Dodge%201_zps6sot

Edited by Worden18

Very cool, hopefully I'll get my call running this summer and we can meet in front of Buck's Bar in Minneiska, MN.

Harold.

That'd be awesome Harold.  I'm only 15 minutes from Minnieska.  If you get to that point shoot me a PM!