Finishing up a 1941 P11 as WWII staff car.

ReoRider

Am finishing up a frame up restoration of '41 P11 as a military staff car, North African theater, to the factory manual specs for body/interior finish and accessories. Is going well - have couple remaining parts questions:

Need fresh hood springs(2) and haven't been able to find a source...

Best recommendation for stiffer front shocks for standard suspension set up..

Need original temperature control knob for the under glove box heater..

Any help most appreciated. Will post some pix of the project shortly.

Thanks,

John

WOW!  You did one heck of a job on that project! 

My Grandad, who I inherited my '41 from, is a WWII Army Air Corp veteran.  I have toyed with the idea of doing a USAAC staff car with his unit designations.

Very nice job!

it is a shame that you do not live closer to Reading Pa. Every june around June 6th to celebrate the remembrance of D-Day the reading airport or Mid Atlantic Ari Museum hosts a 3 day total WWII reenactment event.

I have been attending the event for over 10+ years with my 1939 Desoto. They also have several Plymouth and dodge staff cars in the event. Every campaign that happened is represented along with a German contingency, MASH units, Allthe renanctors are in full authentic WWII outfits. They even have a person playing McArthur.

They also have a lot of the old war birds onsite which include B17. B25, P51 Mustangs Cosairs. If you can make it down just for the day you would taken back to a time in history.

We are still getting some the WII vets but this is getting less and less each year. It is a great experience to talk to these vets. Last year I met a Medic that served on Omhama Beach on D-Day and then had a great 1/2 hour talk with this gentleman. Later on that day I met a Vet that served at Guadalcanal.

Several years ago was talking with a vet that was a rear gunner on a B17 that was shot down and about his story of being captured and how an English Dr was able to save his leg because he got some Shaprenal in his calf.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Thanks for looking. The P11 sat in the back of my barn for 20+ years and it was a great relief to get started on the project.  Have spent lots of time on military vehicle restorations and found that the mechanics were easier on the car (the flathead 6 is common on army 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks), but the body and interior is something else!  On the other hand I discovered pretty good parts availability, particularly for fabric materials to sew up for the interior, and rubber products that were ready to use. Still chasing after some parts (see above) and am waiting for the mud season to end here to get it out on the road for more shake down runs.

Rich, the show in Reading has been too long a reach for my heavier vehicles but perhaps the P11 is the way to get there.

Matt, the idea of doing your '41 in USAAC marking is great. I spend time with archive pictures from the North African theater to get some sense of the local army build shops at work. Staff cars in "41/42 were there before the Jeep and as such had to do light reconnaissance work and be able to keep out of trouble on the "roads". This lead to lots of modifications; functional bumpers, blackout lighting, grill guards, cooling upgrades, etc.. In large part they used materials on-hand from maintaining the regular fleet. The military parts book for the P11 indicates clearly that no bright work is permitted both outside and inside the vehicle. This applied to the "drafted" vehicles taken from dealer lots at the start of the war as well as to the factory orders.   

John    

• Like 2

Rich, that sounds like a couple of great stories. I've written oral histories and love interviewing people about their past.  I would have loved to have interviewed those guys.  I almost did an interview with a gunner on a B-17 but when I went to do it, I think that perhaps he was afraid to stir up the old memories because he said something about his wife not feeling well.  I saw a former B-17 crew member on You Tube who was shown a restored B-17 and he started crying.

Yes, when these old vets come back to the reactment, they sometimes have some issue.

I have ssen when some of the vets have walked into one of the canvas tents that are setup and you see on their face and a reaction of being take back immediately to the time when they served. I have even seen some start to cry because of what just the smell of the tents does to them.

Some of the vets you have to treat with kid gloves and let them decide when they want to talk about their experience. You have to be very patient with them. It was a very difficult time in their life so now you know why the vets from Viet NAm have issues.

The medic that I talked to was very vocal when the son said I could talk to his dad. the first thing that I did was shake his hand and thanked him for serving and that my dad was also in WWII. That sortof open the door. He was telling me some stories that I can not repeat her of what happened on Ohmaha Beach on D-Day bu they definitely called Hitler the DEVIL and he said they several times.

I do get mad when some of the spectators do not stand and remove their hats when the Star Spangle Banner is played, but we remind these people to stand still in respect of our vets and our current soldiers that are serving. They get the point. This has been lost in our schools to display the respect for the American Flag. Enough of the soapbox.

Rich Hartung

• Like 1

What a great looking project, thanks so much for sharing.  I see you have Vermont plates on her also, how far are you from Rhinebeck, NY?   It sure would be great to meet you and see the Plymouth.  Rhinebeck has its annual car show May 6-8 at the Dutchess County fair grounds.  Any questions you could pm me if interested.