cartridge oil filter

atlbluz

My 1938 P-6 has an add on cartridge style oil filter that uses the replacement cartridge Napa 1011, wix 5011, Baldwin J405 and the like.  It appears that Wix does the manufacturing for  these three companies.  The parts are not being made to specs and the gaskets no longer the correct diameter.  Does anyone have a good source for this filter cartridge. 

Simple solution, get some rubber or cork gasket from your local napa or auto store. Then measure the diameter of the inside of the lid that bolts down on top of the filter canister.  USe a compass to trace the outside edge and then make an inside circle the appropriate diameter to cover the lip of the top of the canister.

You can make several of these. The gasket can be resued a couple of time and remember the lid only has to be snug to stop the oil from leaking out of the gap around the lid.

I have a 39 Desoto with an AC canister style and this is what I had to do to solve the same issue.  This should only take you about 20 minutes to make the gasket and then make extra and keep them in the oil filter box so you know where they are for the next oil change.  I use the cork rubber composite gasket sheets.

The filters that you are getting such as the NAPA 1010 are just fine for your car and will filter the oil just fine. I have had these same filters on my car for 25+ years with no problem.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Edited by desoto1939

I've found that the Wix, who also makes the Napa filter, is a poor fit. the filter is oversize and difficult to stuff into the canister. I've had very good luck with the Baldwin JC405 filter. Baldwin makes their own filters and they appear to be much better quality, and fit.

Merle

I've found that the Wix, who also makes the Napa filter, is a poor fit. the filter is oversize and difficult to stuff into the canister. I've had very good luck with the Baldwin JC405 filter. Baldwin makes their own filters and they appear to be much better quality, and fit.

Merle

Merle:  Are you talking about the cotton socket style filter that was used on the trucks or the slip in filter that ws used on the cars.  I use the NAPA 1010 filter and mine fit real tight when I slip it down on the metal tube  that is in the middle of my AC canister. The rubber ring that is at both end of the filter top and bottom are a perfect tight fit on my unit. I think people need to either take their unit with them and try on the different NAPA or what ever their supply store might have in stock and see what fits their individual unit. 

Rich Hartung

I use a Wix 51071 (NAPA 1071) in my car with no problems with either the filter or the top gasket.  There's some variation in the various filter canisters because they came from different suppliers: Purolator, Fram, AC, etc.  The cartridge that fits my MoPar L6's canister may not fit yours as well.  Wix makes the filters for NAPA, but not for Baldwin.  You may be surprised what happens in auto parts warehouses; someone may have just swapped gaskets on you.  The guys in the warehouses don't need to know anything about cars.  They just grab boxes with the right number on them and stuff them in a tote to go to the stores.  Drop a couple filters on the floor, gaskets come out, they just stuff a gasket into an open box with no concern for which box it may have come from.  As there is little demand for these canister filters, and replenishment stock arrives daily, stores do not order them by the case.  They come to the stores individually loose in a shipping tote with other merchandise.  Only the most popular sizes come to the stores by the case.

• Like 1

post-1292-0-41640000-1458772511_thumb.jpgOk here are pictures of the napa 1011 or wix 5011.  I understood that these were used on the trucks and not the cars.  And yes there were issues and a discussion on the forum about the wix filter being not the right size to fit into the truck style canister.

The orginal poster of this topic kind of alluded to that he had a car canister setup and that the filters were not fitting and the gasket situation.

So the question that we all need to know is what type of vehicle the original poster is try to solve with the oil filter, a car or a truck.  We also need to remember that the original filters were made over 70 plus years ago.  When the supply ran out then there was not any major calling for them so we have to use what we can find and or even adapt.

Here is a picture of the 1011 and 5011 sock filter

Rich HArtung