brake help needed

wdoland

I recently ordered new brake cylinders from Rock Auto. Installed them with the new shoe pins that came with the cylinders. Nothing else was done to the brakes. Adjusted them with my  Ammco tool and bled.

Brakes feel like they're on a little bit, I can feel them grab. I figured the pins were wrong since they looked different than the ones I removed. Bought new pins from Andy Bernbaum because they should have the right part. Well they are the same as the Rock Auto pins. Naturally, I don't have the original pins to compare the length. Lesson learned.

Can you get shorter pins? The brakes can't be adjusted down any more.   

If you were able to properly adjust the brakes with the Ammco tool the pins are likely not a problem. What some have run into with longer pins is that they can not get the drums back on over the shoes.

EDIT: Now that you have extra pins, you could take a bit off the end of your pins if you feel that they are a problem.

Edited by shel_ny

You can always grind a little off the flat ends of the pins.

I didn't ebay them, I think they were thrown out because they can't be found. 

With the brake tool, I thought I got them adjusted but then I couldn't get the drum on easily, So it might be the pins are too long.

Please check again with drums removed that heel and toe adjusters are set to pull shoes all the way in  toward center. Watch the shoe move as you turn the adjusters. Check shape of shoe to see that it matches drum. S hoe shape can be fine tuned by taping shoe frame not lining with a light hammer.

Just in case you didn't know, NAPA auto parts has a small variety of these pins....you can buy 'em slightly too long and grind down the pointy end if need be. I found some there to replace some badly pitted ones.

There's very extensive info on this very subject on pistons and pins posted on this site...