Are New Distributors Pre-Set & Ready-to-Go?

Bingster

Never seen anew distributor shipped with tune upparts installed.  even if the were available that way it would stillbe wise to check things.  Do you not check the gap when you install sparkplugs?  What source have you found to supply a "new" distributor?

Just wondering if I got a new distributor for my S-11, would I have to set the points myself? And where would I find a good quality one? 

Weh you say New Distributor are you say NOS distributor for your car, I think we all are assuming this. 

I found a NOS dizzy for my 39 Desoto and it was complete, cap, rotor, breaker plate with points, condenser and springs and weights.  I di dnot assume that it was set to the correct gap setting. So iput it in a vise and set the gap just to make sure. Things can always get out of adjustment ove rthe years from being moved a shifted around and you do not know if anyone has fooled with it over the years.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Hey DON the one I got off of Ebay several years ago was clean to the bone there was no cosmoline on it al all. It was perfect and ready to go into the car.  But yes it did take it apart to check it out and put some grease in the grease cup and oiled the wick that sits under the rotor.

So not all NOS come covered with grease.

I think items that may have been made for the military woul dhave the cosmoline on them to protect the metal because of being shipped over seas, but not 100% on that either.

rich Hartung

Edited by desoto1939
  • Like 1

I took a lot of parts off the engine when I was going through my first "newbie" restoration.  Some things I labeled others I did not. Ditto with photos.  So now I am looking at my engine compartment to see what I need to do to try and fire it up. The distributor has a hairline crack in it.  So that settles that question, but what?  A new cap and rebuild kit?  I'm a body kind of guy, not an engine.  I can bolt things on and hook things up but as for rebuilding carbs and fuel pumps and distributors, I'm always afraid I will get the thing installed, it won't work and I'll have to tear everything apart again.

So, what if I got a distributor from Bernbaum?  Would I be assured of the right one and quality?  I must say, I asked a collector car museum/restoration shop near me and they gave very high marks for Bernbaum's parts and quality.

So plug wires from him also?  I just don't really know what parts I can trust that my local auto store has that will work for these old cars and what won't. Plugs, sure. Plug wire most probably. But a distributor?  Don't know.  Ditto with a new coil.  Seems I can get a WIX oil filter element there, though. 

But right now I am concentrating on the plugs, wires and distributor, and maybe the coil.

I should probably try and start it with everything that's in there now.  After all, it fired up when I bought it seven years ago. Then, replace everything piece by piece once I know it runs.

bingster: you said the diszzy has a hairline crack. Where is the crack. is the crack in the cap. If so then just replace the cap, same with the rotor.  Is there a crack in the body metal hosuing. Need to know to try to help you. Can you take a picture of the dizzy with the crack.  The correct dizzy is an autolite IGS-4208-1  and they were used on 1946-48 Desoto's

rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com