Dodge D25C Radiator Options

Rex

I have inherited a 1947 Dodge D25C, flat six, four door sedan (these were imported from Canada into Australia in the late 40's) that is missing the radiator. I placed a wanted add on the P15-D24 web site but after reading a number of posts on the forums I think it would be prudent to install an aluminium replacement. The problem I have found is that most radiators sites, such as Champion, have radiators for early Plymouths and not Dodges, and being in Western Australia communication with these companies can be arduous.

After scouring the web and the P15-D24 site, and having little knowledge of Dodge/Plymouth build comparisons of that era, can anyone advise me if a Champion Radiator for a 1947-1949 Plymouth Coupe http://www.championradiators.com/plymouth-coup-radiator-1947-1949 would directly fit or require little modification?

I'm also looking for a fuel (gas) tank, if anyone can point me to a suitable/reputable website, and a Temperature gauge.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rex

Post a photo of your car. The Canadian Dodge D-25 I believe was built using mostly Plymouth sheet metal with the exception of the grill. If I am wrong hopefully others will correct me. The Canadian engines were all the 25" long engines used in Chrysler and Desoto in the states. I have installed a Champion radiator in my Plymouth along with a 25" Desoto engine. This radiator was as close to a bolt in as is possible with only minor modifications.

P6180001_01.jpg

P6220001.jpg

P6200003.jpg

P8170001.jpg

Hi Don,

Thanks for the reply, attached are some photos. Unfortunately I am in Western Australia and the carr is on the east coast so hopefully these photos will suffice.

Cheers.post-6060-0-84101800-1458204768_thumb.jpgpost-6060-0-82984400-1458204770_thumb.jpgpost-6060-0-24973500-1458204772_thumb.jpg

Thanks Don,

Do you have a product number by any chance? And is that a three core or two core? Do I take it from your photos that you replaced the top tank 90 degree outlet with a 45 degree?

Regards

Rex

I am very happy with the Tanks,Inc replacement gas tank I bought for my 51 Ford,and plan on buying one from them for my 42 Dodge. The URL for their site is below,and if I were you I would contact them and see who distributes their products in Australia. They sell a lot of gas tanks to restorers and hot rodders in the US,and I never see anybody complaining about them.

Do yourself a favor and replace the gas line with the new copper/nickel brake lines that you can bend by hand without kinking. It is available at all auto parts stores,and unlike the original brake line it will not rust inside or out. Also make sure to replace all your rubber gas lines and plastic fuel filters with modern items designed to be used with ethanol.

You can look at the vendors and for sale ads here on this site for the temp gauge.

In answer to the 2 ton engine hoist defimition. When I was a lot younger and always in a hurry I stretched a couple of speedometer cables with a one ton chain fall, I didn't need a 2 ton, no telling what I might have destroyed.LOL

• Like 1

G,day Rex thats a T J richards body assembled in south Australia on a Canadian chassi running the 25" block so i don't think a plymouth would fit in without modifcation . Most of the body is Prewar with the front sheet metal new as they didnt have a lot of money for retooling after the war. the Plymouth Dodge and Desoto all shared the same body just the grilles and badges are different only other differance i have come across is the rear piece of belt line trim is different mine like yours follows the curve of the body my plymouth is about 6 " shorter and straight . Im in Victoria has been a couple of wrecks on gumtree and e bay in the last few days.

Cheers Gareth

Edited by sp15cspecial

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies and information, still a bit confused as to what is the best way to go.

Gareth, any chance you could point me in the direction as to what you searched for on ebay and gumtree, I found a radiator for a 48 Plymouth coupe up in Queensland http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/burleigh-heads/engine-engine-parts-transmission/vintage-radiator/1094079779 but that was about it. Happy to supply my mobile if it's easier to give me a call, seeing your in Victoria.

Cheers

Rex

Rex, welcome aboard the best mopar site around.......I've had my Oz 1940 TJ Richards bodied Dodge sedan since 1971 and these guys have taught me a few things.......Gareth is right yours is a TJ Richards body.......I've attached a couple of pics of my car and you can see the general resemblance in the body shell..........I would try Desert Cooler radiators in Melbourne, they do radiators to suit lots of different cars, stock and rodded.........getting a radiator maybe expensive via the US, find out which one Don used and try thru Armadale Auto Parts who bring in a lot of hot rod stuff from the USA.........I had the local radiator guy modify a Holden Commodore radiator & core to suit my car which has a 1962 Chrysler Royal 313 Poly in it since 1973.......the radiators used in Oz I think are virtually identical 1940 to 1948 with maybe minor mounting changes.........couple of things I'd suggest you do before anything else..........measure the length of the cylinder head to establish EXACTLY what engine you have.......23" long is the Plymouth/Dodge 201/218/230 engine however as your car is Canadian based it "should" have the 25" 217/228/250 Chrysler/Desoto based engine that all Canadian cars came with............it makes little difference EXCEPT when you need to get engine parts.........lol........the 25" engine will probably have the letters "KEW" stamped into the start of the engine number pad.....the 23" engine does not(or should not have this "KEW" feature..........lol)......the KEW thing indicates that the engine was supplied via Kew in the UK as part of a Commonwealth connection..................DO NOT mention the "KEW" thing to any US company when chasing parts as they will have NO idea what you are talking about and it will confuse the issue.............lol.......you have either a 23 or 25" engine, Plymouth/Dodge or Desoto/Chrysler based..........anyway welcome again.....................Andy Douglas    

post-612-0-17915800-1458287057_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-86639400-1458287138_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-31715100-1458287190_thumb.jpg

Hi Andy and thanks for the welcome. I have trawled this site since inheriting the Dodge and it's the best I have been able to find, a wealth of information, the Mopar community are definitely a passionate lot.

Don suggested the Champion http://www.championradiators.com/product/CC4749 radiator. The cost of the radiator out of the States isn't that bad especially through ebay. There is some debate as to whether a Plymouth/Chrysler radiator will fit the Dodge, as I have said previously it doesn't have a radiator which makes it a bit harder. 

Will take your advise and identify exactly which motor it is running.

As I said in the first post I also need a fuel tank and was hoping to get some sort of replacement in Australia, now these do seem expensive out of the States especially the freight charges, which is understandable. Do you have any advise around replacement fuel tanks?

Cheers

Rex

Rex, fortunately I have had my original fuel tank.....I bought the car in Sept 1971 with 6weeks rego, the ignition wires had shorted out tho' but it was complete down to the owners and a workshop manual and hubcaps.......I was in the process of restoring it when the rebuilt engine went caput April 1973 so bought a 1962 Royal and hot-rodded it........I was running a 3" thick extra heavy duty radiator for yrs but ended up replacing it as it was too thick with too many fins and got the local radiator guy to build another radiator 20 yrs ago and whilst its only 2" thick it cools the engine much more.........I still have the all singing, all dancing 3" , 3 ton radiator but its set up to suit the V8 Poly.........the Champion radiator maybe the way to go.........where are you in Perth?..........as mentioned I'd check with Armidale Auto Parts, they seem to be able to get most US stuff at a good price.........Dodge & Plymouth should have the same or similar radiators but De Soto & especially US Chrysler would be way different...........also worth remembering is that all Plymouth, Dodge, De Soto AND Chrylser sold here from the late 30's thru to when the Oz 1957 Chrysler was introduced are essentially all the same with grille, badges, trim and various differences in engine/gearbox options depending on the year.......Dodge,Plymouth and De Soto 1946-1948 were essentially all the same apart from the imported versions with the longer into front door fenders and Fluid drive gearbox option........the actual Chrysler brand was only available as a ltd fully imported Windsor 6 in 1948.......I had one 40 yrs ago and they were very uncommon...........re the fuel tank....I'd get a sender unit that's compatable with the original guage THEN worry about the tank as the other way maybe opening up a can of worms..............lol................I can give you the measurements from my tank if that helps..........andyd  

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the info, yes in Perth and not all that far from Armadale Autos so will either ring them or drop out and see them. The original fuel tank is still in the car but it leaks and has been repaired previously. Hopefully Armadale Autos will have some understanding of Dodges/Chryslers etc.of that era. and can provide some advice. Will let you know. Obviously by the plates on your car you are in NSW?

Again thanks for the advice.

Cheers.

Rex

Hi rex sorry been away from computer for a while i tried looking on gumtree and ebay the two i saw are not there but there is a 48 dodge on the bay at moment in sydney area i think very rough would realy only be good for parts. there is a 48 Plymouth convertabile on gumtree and in justcars website and magazine he had the two other dodges up for sale as far as i know maybe he still has them and has not relisted . He's in Woolsthorpe in vic . Andy sugestions sound good when i had mine recored was 600 dollars plus side was that the cores were still made same size as most tractors from 60's fergies david browns and massey

Sorry it a 1947 http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/woolsthorpe/cars-vans-utes/1947-other-convertible/1100973760 

Edited by sp15cspecial

Hi Gareth,​

Looks good, see what you mean by using a lighter interior instead of the original dark brown makes it look a lot brighter.

Cheers.

Rex

Hi Gareth,

Now that's the radiator I need. The D25C original engine bay photos that I have seen the radiator cap sits directly above the inlet and the inlet pipe is at 45 degrees. Most period radiator that I have seen for sale the cap sits to the right, looking from the front, not that it matters at all just being a bit  pedantic. Is there a part number stamped into the top tank by any chance, again looking from the front they seem to be to the left of the inlet.

Cheers.

Rex

No part no on radiator in car not even a stamping of the chrysler dodge desoto and plymouth logo so could be complete replacement at some stage of life

Heres a couple of pics of the 1941 Plymouth Auxillary Seat Coupe(not Business Coupe) I had.....it was a factory RHD car built in Sth Africa, imported into Oz in the 1990's and "restored" in Sth Oz......I bought it in 2007 and sold it in 2013, unfortunately.......I was building a 230 with a Finned Edgy head from the US, twin carb Offy intake, split exhaust manifolds, HEI dissy, Beehive Oil filter and T5 USA sourced 5 speed........ended up selling the engine/box to WA and the car to Vic..........boo! hoo!.......the paint and upholstery are as I bought it, I added the Fenton Sun Visor, chrome smoothies and white Coker tyres, also lowered it 2".......the light colored trim was as I got it.......had to have the front seat itself rebuilt but the interior is as I got it......the folding rear seat is quite rare.......anyway the last pic if the only one I have showing any of the stock radiator.........dunno if any of this helps......andyd

post-612-0-60885100-1458461293_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-05757300-1458461307_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-51263000-1458461320_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-26905800-1458461340_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-60243000-1458461367_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-65203100-1458461390_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-68453700-1458461478_thumb.jpg

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the photos, that's a nice looking car, it's a pity you had to part with it. I think I have found a radiator out of a 48 Plymouth in Qld but unfortunately it's on Gumtree which doesn't have the same shipping options and payment guarantees that ebay has available.

Cheers.

Rex