fabbing up a sender

62rebelP23

since i'm perpetually short of cash, i'm putting together my own fuel tank sender for my '52 Cambridge. the original fell apart, so i'm using the swing arm and rheostat(? correct terminology?) from one of my old Ford sending units. it has the same swing area and length to the arm, and once whittled down it fits (barely!!) intothe tank. unfortunately i have no pics to share nor part numbers since the Ford unit was unmarked. i'll be soldering the pieces together later this week for good. just one more aspect of these wonderful old cars, they can be fixed for little or nothing!

• 2 weeks later...

well i'll just have to try the real thing. the first one broke (GRRR) while i was building it and the second just doesn't work. the gauge is working because if i ground the wire it pegs full. sooooo.. where's my j c whitney catalog, or is there an NOS replacement available? it was worth the trial and error regardless, experience is valuable.

Guest mikes moth.

If You Are Useing 12 Volt ,summet Sells A Nice Adjustable One. I Used It In My 48 Coupe. With Orginal Tank. If You Are 6 Volt, Let Me Know , I Think I Hahe A Good Orginal Used One. Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a "universal mopar" 6 volt tank gauge from jc whitney for my '51,

but I have not had the time to install it yet. I will let you know how it works

when I find "a round toit" one of these days!