1949 B-1-D 126 Brake installation

A factory Dodge truck shop manual. It even has some pictures.

• Like 3

that procedure is from the pics are similar to that of wheels hubs on a semi truck and trailer. the i removed the floating axle but the drums still did not come off. im guessing that they somehow are bound up so i guess my next step would be to brake them off. thanks everyone for the feedback. as you can tell my grandfathers truck is showing me how much of a newbie i am to these model trucks

Don't break the drums off.  Good ones are like hens teeth to find.  Until you take those nuts off, the drum will stay where it is..  Nuts first, both of them, then the outer bearing will come.  The inner will probably stay with the hub as well as the inner seal.

• Like 4

And when you're pulling the rear drums, try to cradle it as you remove it so that the inner seal doesn't drag on the threaded portion of the axle tubes.   Same when reinstalling it.  If you haven't gotten parts yet, all 4 cylinders were available from NAPA.  Same p/n's for left front and rears.  Same thing for the right side.  They're mirror images of each other.  I can look up the p/n's if you need them.  Mike

• Like 3

I have been following this thread as I have to fix the brakes on my B2D (Fargo version of it), so the NAPA numbers for the wheel cylinders would be a real help, MBFowler. My local NAPA can't seem to find any numbers but I suspect they don't know how to search for them. Thanks for your help.

In your search box type in "Pilothouse Truck knowledge".  Scroll down to the 1949-58 Truck repair manual heading and punch in that. Further down the list there is a 1953 "B" series Dodge truck repair manual you can look at for help. It's a very nice reference site. Hope this Info helps.

J. Giraud

'41 WC-12(Salad)

'40 Cat D2/3J

Keith,

Napa might have the replacement shoes or you can check out  C H Topping in Long Beach,  They can reline the shoes, Arc the new shoes to the drums and turn the drums if needed. I have heard GREAT things about them and they are local.  Rod

I found the chrysler part number 635 537 in the parts list and crossed that to a raybestos WC3595 for the left front and left rear wheel cylinder, which as far as I can tell, crosses to a NAPA number NUP3595, which is a 1 1/4 by 1 3/8 cylinder. Similarily the right front and right rear is a raybestos WC3596 which crosses to NAPA number NUP3596. Does anyone here know if I have got it right? Thanks for your help. 

I apologize for the delay in my response.  I haven't been checking the forum like I should.  The p/n's that I used on my '49 1 ton (cyls are same on left and right sides respectively for front and rear) are:  3595, and 3596.   They're mirror images of each other.   Mike