OIL FILLER TUBE

Labrauer

Hey guys I have a question on the oil filler tube on a 218ci engine that I can't remember which way the cap faces. Does the cap on top of the oil filler tube face towards the radiator or back of the engine as far as the opening with the screen or does it amke a difference.

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Edited by Labrauer

Thanks much guys. I thought that was the way but was not sure because of the vacuum tube that runs from the distributor to the carburetor base seems to be in the way. The filler tube has a crick in it so I will have to turn it a little to let the tube get past it.

Thanks again

Larry

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, so in my wisdom.....I installed my fill tube 180* off and my cap opening faces forward. haven't driven the car much yet.....maybe 2 miles so far. What is going to be my problem with this ????? It should still draft....air in the top, drawn out the bottom.

I have heard the above referred to as Oklahoma Breathers  a term from Dust Bowl times

when rings were worn pretty badly but there was no money for repairs.

Laynrubber,

The problem with it facing forward is it will be a ram air induction of crap from the road and forced into the filter material by the fan. With it facing backwards you draft the air out by the fan blowing past it and creating a venturi effect.

Joe

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Dragging this post up from way back. So if the cap faces the firewall and the air past it vents like a venturi is the road draft tube the air inlet ? I thought the air went in the fill cap, through the engine and out the draft tube.

I ask now because the car is now just getting back on the road. 

• 1 month later...

I have the oil cap that has the vents opening all the way around the circumference of the oil filler cap.  So when someone is saying that the opening has to be facing the firewall for the aiflow to work correctly then I guess the factory option of having the type of oil cap filler is not engineered correctly but this was a MoPar option

rich hartung

Neil............I have a tiny little funnel for wee..........oops........wrong forum again...........yeh, I know I'm going back to my corner...............lol..............andyd

• Like 1