How far would you go with your truck?

No matter how far you have taken your truck into the "new life"......my question is:

If you were free to do what you wanted (financially or otherwise) how far would you go?

Personally, I would build a strong faster motor, and completely redesign my suspension for more speed. The paint is secondary.

I know, I paint cars.....but I like to go fast. A first rate paint job is the last thing on my mind. 

Now maybe my panel truck I would take to the heights of the modified class... not sure. 

Tim aka 48D

picture: left, Gary Martin 1948 Panel Truck L6....right, Tim aka 48dodger 1948 Panel Truck slated for a 5.7 Hemi on a Dakota frame 

post-340-0-52226000-1456931882_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Why would one stop? Start with Route 66 then just slowly drive the back roads of America until the SS payment stop coming in. Leave the remainder to the family!

A more serious answer would be to travel three to five months and write a journal of stories shared with me about other's memories of an old vehicle.

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

Decisions Decisions, win the Lottery and would find out.

But it would definitely include an AoK Racing 265 full race engine, with a lot more power than a mild souped up engine you normally find on here. It would no doubt be 1 of the most powerful torquey Mopar Flathead 6 engines ever built...

• Like 1

I would make my truck basically stock with only a few practical upgrades, then drive it around town at comparatively low speeds with total disregard for gas consumption, green house effects, and the impatience of speedsters. Hey wait a minute, that's what I'm doing! I'm living the dream man, I'm living the dream!

• Like 9

I would make my truck basically stock with only a few practical upgrades, then drive it around town at comparatively low speeds with total disregard for gas consumption, green house effects, and the impatience of speedsters. Hey wait a minute, that's what I'm doing! I'm living the dream man, I'm living the dream!

LOL...amen brother! :lol:

48D

• Like 2

I've mapped out most of old US 81, which is built along or parallel to the historical Chisholm Trail...then there's the Heritage Trails that I've crossed among my travels but have never been able to follow from start to finish.  I've driven on the old 66 in The Panhandle, so I'd like to mosey up to Shamrock and make the circuit from there.  I watched a PBS program about The Lincoln Highway, and that's got me interested as well...lots of miles to cover all the way around...maybe wander up the PCH if I got the time :cool:

• Like 3

As much as I love my truck, with an endless money and time supply, it wouldn't likely go much further then it does now....now my 67 Monaco....it would go through many sets of tires if I could just take off and no worries...much more comfortable drive and a great summer cruiser. I built my truck in mind with it always be a local run and show vehicle, and even with all the upgrades, those were just for my own comfort, never really to extend its use....maybe if I built a new truck from scratch with a complete modern chassis and power train and endless money for upgrades, I'd feel different...but I'd still likely be missing my car

• Like 1

similar to Tim. id like modern suspension, with a decently torquey  engine, good brakes, and a Vintage Air hvac. As for the paint, something thats better then my current flaking paint, but not a $20k show only paint job. Basically a decent looking truck that i can jump into and drive to CA or FL when ever i wanted and perform just like any modern truck.

Why would one stop? Start with Route 66 then just slowly drive the back roads of America until the SS payment stop coming in. Leave the remainder to the family!

A more serious answer would be to travel three to five months and write a journal of stories shared with me about other's memories of an old vehicle.

If i ever finish my truck like i want ive given serious thought to something very similar to this. It maybe only a few weeks or a month but just get out on the road and enjoy America

Build a food "oven/ cage " over the manifold and at mid afternoon, hit a KOA, enjoy a nice piece of prime rib, or ribs, or . . and let the world go by. Maybe find a lake and catch a fish for tomorrow's evening meal.

• Like 2

I have a perfect testing ground for my old truck. I think Kaiser Pass is around 8,000'. My house is at 300' so in 60 miles I can elevate test. If problems develop, make a U turn, down hill home. Get ready for cross country driving in my back yard.

Regarding the oven, referenced in the above post, I have it designed with removable inner walls so it then has compartments. Then I can have my steak in one and my veggies in the other(s). Then install a thermometer with the gauge in the dash.

Mode of operation: temp and time to cook each item meat first, add veggies,potato later, bread last, all timed to be ready 30 minutes after arrival at KOA or Walmart, or lake. Put out the table, fine china, and a bottle of wine and let the good times begin. The lady in the million dollar van in the lot aside mine will be zealous!

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

Build a food "oven/ cage " over the manifold and at mid afternoon, hit a KOA, enjoy a nice piece of prime rib, or ribs, or . . and let the world go by. Maybe find a lake and catch a fish for tomorrow's evening meal.

Ahh, "Manifold Destiny"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifold_Destiny_(cookbook)

• Like 2

" . . . a secure spot on the car's engine block, having heard that it was said to be common for truckers to keep cans of soup hot by doing the same thing." Farmers in the 50's and snowmobilers today also did/ do such.

Should get a caravan of mopars together and end up with a banquet in the park.

I thought this thread was about having no money issues....and pflam is eating manifold soup like a hobo.....ill be cruising my truck from steak joint to rib joint to seafood joint and back again if money is no concern....might have to do another seat and steering wheel change to fit in after awhile..but it would be fun

somewhere in the fine lines of distinction one must realistically face the fact they have gone from frugal to flat out cheapskate..good shovel and you can collect and cook road kill on the fly...where will it end...and will it be worth it when you lying in a hospital on the verge of being road kill yourself..

Charles Kurult, CBS, in the late '60's did a several year on the road reporting. His program was called "on The Road". His stories were about the lessor known people and places across the USA. That appeals to me. There was also an elderly man who drove from lower Mn to Iowa on his lawn mower to visit his brother. A very interesting story.

Actually it was from IA to WI and a movie was made about it.  At one time they wanted to use my brother's old 35 Ford pickup in one scene.. They ended up not shooting the scene.  The brother he was going to see lives about 20 miles from me.

• Like 3

I'd have to start over  if money was no object. turning a B3B into a full crew cab, short high side box, independent suspension on all 4 corners, buckets and bench seating, AC, PS, PB, powered by a Mercedes diesel.  As it is, I guess I'll have to try to complete what I have first, a chopped B3B with IFS, 318 and 727 auto, PS, PB.

• Like 1