Disc brakes on stock truck video

ruff1148kr

;) I have seen a few videos like this. They don't really prove anything.

When you do a conversion on an older vehicle you need to be able to "balance" the braking system to the vehicle. By that I am saying that it all needs to be adjusted to the particular load and suspension it has to work with. Otherwise along with quick stops you might get a few other nasty surprises during panic braking.

I have thought about adding power braking to my 52 B-3-C. I already have 4 wheel disc brakes and a dual reservoir M/C. At first I thought it might be nice to have less pedal effort. But now that I have had a chance to get used to driving the truck I am not so sure it would be of any real benefit. I think that at the very least one would have to readjust the proportioning and do a fair amount of testing to make certain the vehicle was capable of going into a panic stop  with out getting squirrelly or trying to swap ends.

I guess what I am trying to say is that updating the braking system has a lot more to it than just buying a kit.

Jeff

• Like 4

You are quite correct......there isn't a lot of stuff like this out there for us old Dodge truck guy's. What ever we do on a braking upgrade we have to consider that it needs to be done with the utmost of care as it won't have had the development time spent on it that upgrades for more modern vehicles generally get.

Jeff

For us flathead guys, you wouldn't be able to create enough vacuum for power brakes, without adding a vacuum pump, and then you need 12 volt, unless there is a 6 volt option out there in the market.... I'm good with the manual brakes since the front disc swap and dual master...theirs no real issue to stop this truck

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For us flathead guys, you wouldn't be able to create enough vacuum for power brakes, without adding a vacuum pump, and then you need 12 volt, unless there is a 6 volt option out there in the market.... I'm good with the manual brakes since the front disc swap and dual master...theirs no real issue to stop this truck

Do you have any photos of the dual master cylinder conversion and could you provide some detail about the actual MC you used? I've seen a ton of vague references to MC upgrades, but very few particulars. I can't find a single vendor that has a bolt on MC conversion for 1948-1953 1/2 ton. The stock mounting position does pose some space and mounting issues. I've seen forum references to Jeep MC both pro and con. I'm a little surprised that vendors make disc brake conversion kits but don't go the extra mile to include a package for the MC and proportioning. I understand we are a small market for vendors, but a lot of people have done this conversion (or want it) is everyone doing a complete custom build?

Really? why is that, should not the vacuum booster have a slight reservoir, even allowing a few pumps on the brake pedal with the engine off.

If this engine cannot do this, why is this the case?

Do you have any photos of the dual master cylinder conversion and could you provide some detail about the actual MC you used? I've seen a ton of vague references to MC upgrades, but very few particulars. I can't find a single vendor that has a bolt on MC conversion for 1948-1953 1/2 ton. The stock mounting position does pose some space and mounting issues. I've seen forum references to Jeep MC both pro and con. I'm a little surprised that vendors make disc brake conversion kits but don't go the extra mile to include a package for the MC and proportioning. I understand we are a small market for vendors, but a lot of people have done this conversion (or want it) is everyone doing a complete custom build?

Yes the aftermarket vendors do not offer much, so a few have done there own.

Lots continue with the single pot MC with a proportioning and residual valves in the equation.

I used the M/C from a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I chose that because that is the M/C that match's up with the disc brake rear axle I installed. Others have used M/Cs from Cherokees that only had discs up front. You will need to make a 1/2" adapter plate but other than that it is pretty straightforward. It is a good idea to replace all the lines. I put 3/16" lines in because that is what the later disc's were fed by in the donor application. I also installed an adjustable Wilwood proportioning valve. My brakes are better than excellent and this is one of my favorite mods.

Jeff

post-4710-0-78178600-1461535376_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jeff Balazs
  • Like 1

http://p15-d24.com/topic/19866-master-cyl-swap-from-90-cherokee/?hl=%2Bcherokee+%2Bmaster

Here is my original thread, I'm not sure if I was the first..but I couldn't find any other topics on the matter when I started building my truck the first time. I haven't changed anything but the master in my truck, but it was the exact same..mine was used when I got it, and it just got old and started acting up. I used all the stock components when I did the swap, so no aftermarket proportioning valve...but I did do the rusty hope front brake conversion.

Might be more pictures here in an old video I made...been a pile of changes since this was done

http://www.fbrandon.com/apps/videos/videos/show/15822458-1950-dodge-1-ton-resto

Really? why is that, should not the vacuum booster have a slight reservoir, even allowing a few pumps on the brake pedal with the engine off.

If this engine cannot do this, why is this the case?

Yes the aftermarket vendors do not offer much, so a few have done there own.

Lots continue with the single pot MC with a proportioning and residual valves in the equation.

If the vacuum supplied now can hardly run the wipers correctly at highway speed, I highly doubt the vacuum needed for brakes would be available, especially if you had to run the wipers as well. Now if you did have a secondary pump running off the fuel pump, it may generate enough vacuum, but power brakes require a lot, and if you were to start pumping your brakes repeatedly for an emergency stop, I think you would be to manual in no time. No proof...but I see how my wipers work, and I tried two different motors...I wouldn't want to bother with all the work for the booster not to work properly...wouldn't matter..you'd still have brakes...just the same manual ones

Edited by 4mula-dlx

Have heard vacuum wipers can be rebuilt and they work good, not sure about that.

I had a 52 Chevy with a 216 stovebolt, those wipers were vacuum and worked great.

I think a power booster should work, you could install a vacuum canister, to store vacuum, if necessary, others have done this too...

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far

I installed a vacuum canister to help the wipers....it didn't...if you see the vacuum line on a booster, it's about 3/8" line...pretty tough to go from 5/16 or whatever comes out of the intake and feed 3/8. 12 volt air pump would be the only feasible option in my mind...a fuel pump ran one is just more parasitic draw on an engine already low on ponies. The pictured truck has a v8...makes way more sense then

I installed a vacuum canister to help the wipers....it didn't...if you see the vacuum line on a booster, it's about 3/8" line...pretty tough to go from 5/16 or whatever comes out of the intake and feed 3/8. 12 volt air pump would be the only feasible option in my mind...a fuel pump ran one is just more parasitic draw on an engine already low on ponies. The pictured truck has a v8...makes way more sense then

Discussed the use of a "Power Brake" booster on these engines with a few others, this should be no problem at all, so I am told......

To each their own...but it's not possible unless you swap the brake pedal out and why do that if your retaining the stock flathead. Even with my steering box gone I could never fit a booster in the stock pedal location. This is a swap when one goes to V8 or another engine that loses that bell housing/cross member

To each their own...but it's not possible unless you swap the brake pedal out and why do that if your retaining the stock flathead. Even with my steering box gone I could never fit a booster in the stock pedal location. This is a swap when one goes to V8 or another engine that loses that bell housing/cross member

yes your correct in most cases this would be a firewall mounted MC and subsequent brake pedal MC Booster etc.

All I am saying is this engine can and will operate a vacuum booster for power brakes.

Chrysler cars like my old 47, you could get some models with a Power Brake Booster, mounted under floor.

Some big trucks, came with a Chrysler flathead 6 cylinder engine, and a power brake booster.

yes your correct in most cases this would be a firewall mounted MC and subsequent brake pedal MC Booster etc.

All I am saying is this engine can and will operate a vacuum booster for power brakes.

Chrysler cars like my old 47, you could get some models with a Power Brake Booster, mounted under floor.

Some big trucks, came with a Chrysler flathead 6 cylinder engine, and a power brake booster.

But likely a much bigger vacuum port off the intake as well, the standard truck engine was never designed for that...maybe with a different intake or enlarged hole? I'd be curious to see the intake on both with stock booster