'49 Chry Ignition ----- Luck-KEY

rb1949

My '49 Beast came with one key, ignition key, original, round head, Chrysler name. Having one lone key wasn't to exciting. Searches on the subject were pretty easy, finding this car had 3 keys: ignition, trunk and glove box. Seems the original keys were made by ILCO with the ignition blank X1199G and the trunk blank XO1199G. I say the blanks are identical, the difference being the shape of the head, and of course, the cut to fit the cylinder. These blanks are available all over the internet, with prices ranging from $3 to $15 ea. plus a ship fee. But confusing discrepencies. Only a few had the round head, most were saying the octagon head was 'original'. I believe the trunk was indeed diamond shape. Some advertised the diamond being for the trunk/glove box, which cannot be true. Then, you can observe the pictures provided to compare your key (if you have one). Looking closely, the grooves in those blank keys were different. Ugh, why such a difference for the same key number?

Off to the hardware store. Their computer database doesn't go back to '49. The experienced key gal found what looked like a match (A Cole 149) and cut it. Unfortunately it didn't fit. She again snooped the rack, and found another. This was also a Cole 149 number, but made in Italy. We agreed the grooves were a better match. She cut it, and I trotted outside, having brought the car this time. BINGO .... instant fit and start. Round head too, and the head had colors, so I picked Blue to match the car. And also had another one cut. So luck got me new keys for $2.49 .If my theory is correct that the blank fits the trunk, the next challenge will be to figure out the cut needed for the cylinder. Not worried about the glove box.

Oh, also has a locking gas cap, with one key. NOT GOOD! Original? No idea. One key was cut, and that fit perfectly. I read a lot of key discussions on here, some quite a challenge. Good luck on all your key needs.

• Like 1

Interesting topic.  I have always had a "thing" for locks and keys so all my cars  now have authentic key sets.

My first 35 Plymouth had a round ignition key with Plymouth written on it.  The second one is octagonal as was my 37 as do all the rest 50, 51, and 52.

Glove box locks are round and it is not difficult to make such a key operate the gas cap as well.  There may be only two tumblers in these very simple locks.

I will have to try the trunk key.  I have a number of GB locks without keys so here is a quest for a rainy afternoon.  dp

Forgot, it's ignition/door key. Haven't tried door yet. Can do so now, having extra key in case it breaks! On my '49, the back doors have the push down lock button. The front doors do not. Is it true, that by pushing the interior door handle forward, will lock the door? (Pull back to open) Clever thought on gas cap/glove box match. I'll try the gas cap key just in case. Otherwise, no concern over the glove box, except for authenticity.