1950 Meadowbrook Out of Storage

mmcdowel

Found this 1950 Dodge Meadowbrook stored in an old warehouse in Tulsa.  Took about a day to get it running...not bad after sitting 20 years.  Changed all the rubber brake lines, belts, hoses and tires...new fluids and a tune up and she drives great.  Drive her about once a week for at least 10 miles weather permitting.  She shows 67,000 miles.  3 speed with Fluid Drive.  I can't tell that its ever been repainted, but surely it has.  No rust anywhere.

The only issue I have is the fuel seems to evaporate out of the carburetor when she sits more than a couple of days. Takes a minute of cranking to get fuel back to the carb.  Fuel pump is new and carb rebuilt so I'm wondering if modern fuel really is evaporating or if its being siphoned back to the tank?  If so, I'm guessing the solution is installing a 6 volt electric fuel pump?  

post-6896-0-32218500-1455641545_thumb.jpg

post-6896-0-81699500-1455641563_thumb.jpg

post-6896-0-46647600-1455641638_thumb.jpg

post-6896-0-36474900-1455641665_thumb.jpg

post-6896-0-59205900-1455641681_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

That is a good looking Meadowbrook, a good example of a 1950.

Don't try too hard to fix the fuel evaporation because it is a common symptom and they all tend to do that to a certain extent. Oh sure, you can get a six volt fuel pump, and it is a good idea to install a tip-over or collision switch so it stops pumping after a collision. This info can be found with a forum search.

OR, you can do NOTHING about it. You will have a few extra seconds of cranking the first time you start it after a week. Can you live with that?

The car will start reliably like this for decades to come.

• Like 1

"Found this 1950 Dodge Meadowbrook stored in an old warehouse in Tulsa.  Took about a day to get it running...not bad after sitting 20 years.  Changed all the rubber brake lines, belts, hoses and tires...new fluids and a tune up and she drives great."

You found that car in a warehouse? Seriously? That has to be the find of a decade. You can't take the average barn find car and turn it into something that nice for 10 grand even if you do a lot of the work yourself and the car was given to you.

Most unusual place.  Built in the 30s to house medical equipment.  Dark, dirty and full of junk...but the roof was maintained and there were boxes of mouse poison everywhere.  Probably 30 old wool blankets draped over it plus boxes of books, etc.  I'm just glad he didn't value old Dodges like I do.  

Looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor.  Wish my interior was this nice.  Lucky You.  Congrats...