Install 318 ?

started thinking and that is always dangerous. since the motor is siezed in the truck and will need to come out I am thinking about installing a 318 engine with a 4 speed that I have its a 74 engine forget which trans but think it is a 60's dodge truck 420, 435? right now its in a 61 dodge truck. I was thinking about installing this setup in a P15 and had been trading emails with a member on the p15 side and have some good information on this from him. As I would have to make more changes to the p15 as it has a column shift and I do have a good engine in it. I am now thinking the truck should get this setup. So what is involved in the install of a 318 into a Pilothouse I would think basically the same as the p15 swap.

Ed

Guest Dave Claussen

The list would probably include but not be limited to:

Modification of firewall (as stated in previous post), possibly moving the radiator in front of the mounts, fabricating new motor mounts, a different bell housing/tranny combo (automatic or manual) and probably new tranny mounts (the V8 will almost surely not match up to the 6 cylinder bell housing), a new or modified drive shaft, modification of the inner fender walls over the wheels to allow for a wider exhaust system, and an upgrade to 12 volt electrical system for the V8's requirements to run the starter etc. If that probably sounds like a lot of work, well yeah it is but there are some up sides. More power, readily available parts for those inevitable repairs, and all the advantages of the 12 volt electrical system.

Please don't think for a second that I think leaving your truck as stock would be bad. Lots of guys absolutely love their stock(or mostly stock) original trucks for lots of good reasons. There is more than one school of thought and we can make good arguments for them all. That's the one cool thing that this forum has going for it, there's room for both camps.

No matter what you decide, there's probably somebody here who's already been there and done that. And they are usually more than happy to share the experience no matter whether it was a good one or a bad one.

If you've ever swapped a 6 for a V8 then you probably already know most of this stuff. Just my 2 1/2 cents Dave

P.S. Check out the thread about riding in a pilothouse-ENOUGH SAID!!