wheel cylinder

ushp12

I have a few questions about the wheel cylinders on my 1940 Plymouth P10 Deluxe.  I have  replaced 2 cylinders with new one's ( rear ), and put new kit's in both front cylinders.  The kit's that I put in the front cylinders were absent the Cylinder Piston Cup Expander's.  In my '40 Shop Manual it states that Expanders are only used in Service Assemblies, does anyone know what that means?  It look's to me that they are required for all 4 cylinders.  I need to find 2 ea. per cylinder in the front.  They are  1 3/8" and 1 1/4"  per cylinder.  Anyone?  I was thinking about Honing the cylinders to make them smooth , good idea or not?  What would be the correct Hone for the job?

Thank's

Cup expanders are present in some cylinders and not others, I have found.  A service assembly would be a new or rebuilt part assembled and ready for installation as a unit. 

There is no point in doing anything with a cylinder ( other than throwing it away) if its bore is not perfectly smooth.  This is achieved by using a brake cylinder hone operated with a drill motor and liberal application of brake fluid. The hone is not moved rapidly up and down the bore as in engine cylinders, but more slowly. The cylinder must be washed with Methyl Hydrate and thoroughly dried before reassembly. It may be relubricated for assembly with clean brake fluid.

Thanks for the info.  When would Honing be used instead of buying a whole Wheel Cylinder?

Honing is fine for a light clean up, of a wheel cyl or even master cylinder that is not in real bad shape.

Honing to clean to and make a new cross hatch pattern, no pitting and no over-sizing.

I have been successful honing wheel cyls and a master cyl on my 47 Chrysler, used all new kits, and dot 5 silicone brake fluid, going on 9 years with it. I do not own the car, but the owner reports no issues with it to date.

These wheel cyls and MC bores, were really on the border line of being tossed or re-sleeved.

You can have your's re-sleeved with brass or SS, and they will be good for another 60 years........

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far

A Re-sleeved cylinder is best to do for no sweating leakage unless a NOS cylinder with modern day rubber cups are to be installed.

Chinese wheel cylinders which are not available for the real old 42 and back Mopars IMO should be thrown in the round can.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info.  When would Honing be used instead of buying a whole Wheel Cylinder?

The only time I can think of would be when you can't find new ones. I have bought brand new Lockheed wheel cylinders for 40's and 50 cars for as little as $4.95 each. Most kils cost more than that.

If you are a Amazon Prime member check them first because you can get free shipping.IIRC,I bought new wheel cylinders for my 39 IHC half-ton pickup there for $4.95 each including shipping. They were the same wheel cylinders as used in the 53 and 54 Corvette.