Newbie On The Loose ....... Jumping In

rb1949

Let's call this a transition back to Mopar. I've been thru a lot of different vehicles over the years. Good memories, as my very first car was a '51 Plymouth, but I won't mention when that was. Been a long time with no classic adventures, the last one being about 30 years ago. Once you've got the 'bug' to appreciate old cars, it never goes away. Even if you don't own one, you drool to see one driving down the street, and visit the cruise day cars displays to check out the old iron.

Well, the bug hit again. I was in the mood for another fun toy, and spent a lot of time shopping around. What was going to catch my eye as an affordable fun beach cruiser? Not too nice ...... something you're afraid to drive or park it and get a scratch. Nor was I in any mood to perform a restoration. Just a clean and "reliable" driver. Several calls resulted in "sorry, sold yesterday".

Ah, up popped something unique. A Mopar. Calls to the seller started to make it more interesting. Just far enough away to require an overnite trip to drive it back, plus finding someone with time to join the fun. Did some quick checks on shipping, and got a reasonable price. Contacted the seller, made an offer, which was accepted. Put the shipping process in motion. They called, saying they could pick up/deliver a week sooner than the original planned date. Great! Door to door. Of course, the new date coincided with the first major snowfall up here. What luck!  Despite the weather, all went well, and delivery was right on schedule. The driveway looks better with an old car sitting out there. Although it's covered with road salt from the trip.

Now that you've suffered through the boring part ......... WHAT IS IT? If this works, there should be 2 pictures of the new buggy. My beach cruiser is a 1949 Chrysler Windsor 4 door sedan. Original Blue. Prestomatic Fluid Drive. Cool, because this was Chrysler's 25th Silver Anniversary Edition. (I have an advertisement with the same model/color on it) . Happy so far, crawling around checking things out. Motor sounds great, if you can hear it running. Already spotted a few minor things for the project list to challenge the brain. Questions will be coming to the wise been there/done that members. My lack of wisdom will appreciate your help. Didn't expect it to be perfect. Too darn cold to be staying out there long. Did I mention, this car was bought, sight unseen? Crazy, for me.

OK, time for a break. But I'll jump back in later to continue the saga. I was quite impressed with a stack of documentation that has followed this car since 1949.  Wait til you see THAT part of the story. Thanks for bearing with me so far. Happy to be here.

412182603.jpg

412182604.jpg

• Like 3

nice ride welcome.  Go onto the All Par website, put transmissions in the search bar and look at all the stuff related to the m 4/m 6 semi auto trans.  Also go to the repair section of the Imperial Owners Club, and check out the items listed there care and feeding of the semi auto trans also referred to as the clunk o matic. 

Remember always use your parking brake as the drive train does not supply compression braking with the engine off.

Thanks for the welcome. You Indiana guys are right there. Closest is Hobart. I'm Northwest Indiana, on Lake Michigan. Hence the need for a 'beach cruiser', my favorite hangout in the summer. There are a few local cruises and hangouts I'll have to consider now. Drink some beer and BS. Cool, already a tranny tip. Will have to start a diary/log book. Yes, fun reading. Already downloaded the radio schematics ...... one of the known projects. But can't determine if it's the Model 803 or 805 without sticking my head up there. That was one of the questions. Anybody removed one, and what might that entail? Or, check for something simple first, a fuse somewhere. 15 is still too cold for me to be out there. No washing either! Compiling more to the story. Stay tuned.

Well, I have 2 pages of the 1949 Chrysler Color Chart. That might be all they had? Have scanned, and will send them to whomever does that "Download" section. It also gives the codes only for 1941-1948. Mine is the 4th down, "Ensign Blue". Such a deep dark blue, it looks Black! Sorry.

412187734.jpg

Thanks for the welcome. You Indiana guys are right there. Closest is Hobart. I'm Northwest Indiana, on Lake Michigan. Hence the need for a 'beach cruiser', my favorite hangout in the summer. There are a few local cruises and hangouts I'll have to consider now. Drink some beer and BS. Cool, already a tranny tip. Will have to start a diary/log book. Yes, fun reading. Already downloaded the radio schematics ...... one of the known projects. But can't determine if it's the Model 803 or 805 without sticking my head up there. That was one of the questions. Anybody removed one, and what might that entail? Or, check for something simple first, a fuse somewhere. 15 is still too cold for me to be out there. No washing either! Compiling more to the story. Stay tuned.

On many of the plymouths the difference is the tone selection and how the presets work. Pull a knob cover does it have a dial under it? Do you have a dial that says voice mello etc?

A pix of the '49 radio might help. From the charts I downloaded here, almost confident it's the big boxy Model 803. I did hear that those heater controls are right in the way too.

412187963.jpg

That looks like the fancy model with the tone control showing on the left. Typically that would be the higher model #. Also usually has 8 tubes over 6 I believe.

Ed, the literature indicates both have 6 tubes. The 803 is like a big 'box' with a big chunk above the dial indicator. The 805 is more slender, with a good portion extending toward the left, which doesn't appear to have room for it. Again, looking or feeling up there should provide the answer. Haven't come across any tips yet regarding removal techniques. Waiting for another '49 owner. It's not a priority item, just one of those challenging 'to do' items on the list.

Branded  ........ well, it looks similar, obviously different in what it mounts to. 803 may have been adapted to different dashes. Looks like you just pulled out a chunk of the dash with a radio attached to it. Mine won't do that. Some warm day I'll get ambitious. Got your message. Thanks for stopping here too.

Hello and welcome. I had a 1949 Chrysler Windsor coupe some years back and it was a great car. I am sure you will enjoy your car. I do recall having several problems with the radio from time to time but it was a pleasure to drive. We took it to Niagara Falls when we were married in 1963. See attached photo.

John R

49chrysler-1.jpg

• Like 1

Well, back again. A radio question was added to the discussion in between. If you're following, and have info on a topic, jump in anytime. This is going to ramble, with no sequence. Would it be better if specific topics were started separately? That sounds more logical, so not to get lost in a post. Here, we're still fiddling with the advent of a newbie and a MOPAR in the driveway. Gosh, I'm still thinking, that this Beast is a 25th Silver Anniversary Edition. Maybe I'll try to scan the larger advertisement, and paste it back together?

Here we go again with the buggy. Documentation was mentioned earlier. It is totally incredible that the paperwork has followed this car on it's cross country journey since 1949. That alone is more than I bargained for.  If you're ready, let's take a virtual ride with the smooth Prestomatic. I have the original Owners Service Policy (not a copy), issued to a gentleman in PA. Model Code 452, Body Type 6P Sedan, VIN and engine number, delivery date was Sept 16, 1949. Not impossible, that guy could still be alive. But doubtful. Whizzing along, next comes a copy of a title change in 1955, in Arizona! How/Why did this 'new' car get to AZ? (different name, not a child inheritance?) Some things must remain a mystery. Look close at the picture, you'll see the Arizona Historical Plate on front, 1977.

Buzzing forward, the trail jumps to 1980, with a copy of another title change, still in Arizona. I'll save more on that owner for yet another addition to the story. A wowzie. The car stayed there until 2005. There appears to have been a death, so the car changed hands again and our virtual ride will take us up to an individual in Michigan. Poor thing, back to the cold Midwest. His ownership lasted about 2 years, then there is a documented sale and copy of the shipping papers to a new owner in Kentucky in 2007. Moonshine hauler? Ha. I think it stayed in KY for about 8 years, and then had the title transfer to the guy in Ohio. He was the shortest term owner, and I got it from him in 2016. If the trail is correct, I must be owner #7. All this paperwork is in a folder, and by an act of God, it followed the car with each owner. Quite amazing. Hope you enjoyed the trip as much as I did. Kinda glad I am now a part of it. Documentation? Oh yes, there is more to blow your mind. Saving the best for last. Stay tuned to 1949.

• Like 2

True, to a point. For those who do search, the subject would pop up as being in a particular post, and one could go look. But for casual looking down the board, the post "Newbie" has no indication of what is being discussed. One titled "49 starters", or something, might catch the eye of the person who can help. I vote for being specific.

True, to a point. For those who do search, the subject would pop up as being in a particular post, and one could go look. But for casual looking down the board, the post "Newbie" has no indication of what is being discussed. One titled "49 starters", or something, might catch the eye of the person who can help. I vote for being specific.

Have a moderator change the thread title

When you go to drive a clunk o matic  for the first time, here are some pointers.

First and foremost, as was mentioned above , there is no compression holdback and no park position so the handbrake is very

important.  Also, make sure the lever is in neutral before starting the engine, but depress the clutch in any case while starting.

Then, use the clutch only when moving the gear selector.  Up for low range, down for high range  and reverse is back toward you and up.  With your foot on the brake, select your range...... normal driving.... high range..... and let the clutch in.  remove your foot from the pedal and hook your left foot around your right leg just to remind your reflexes that you do not need the clutch pedal.

Release both the parking brake and the foot brake and drive off. When you have attained a reasonable forward speed, let your foot off the gas and the transmission will shift into the higher gear of the range you have chosen.

It will drop back on its own at a stop sign or will kick down if you floor the throttle. 

You can change ranges while moving but you must depress the clutch before moving the lever.

This is a heavy car so as you get used to it, you might try this.  Choose the low range.  Wind it up in low then release the throttle and let it shift into the top speed in the low range.  Wind it up again then declutch and pull the lever down. You will now be in the top gear of the high range.  Most of the time you will simply leave the unit in high range.  Performance will  be Majestic.

When stopping, you do not need to declutch.   Confusing at first but it grows on you !  You will rarely win a drag race but soon you will grow to like driving this Semi Automatic.   Good luck.

• Like 1

Here's some info on how to remove your Philco model 805 radio... 1949-50 Chrysler radio's are the same except for dial and face plate colors etc. 1949 Chrysler's have light red tint numerals

These radios are long and narrow. The speaker is separate and mounted to the dash ..to the right of the radio.

To remove the radio...Remove the heater control panel assembly..remove four Phillip head screws.. drop complete assembly down and out of the way

Pull off the two radio knobs and two back chrome bezels.. then remove the two thin 9/16"  radio head retaining nuts

Remove the drivers side radio mounting bracket.. I think a 1/2" and 9/16" wrench is needed.. see pics

Separate the black 15 Amp fuse holder halves.. remove fuse

Unplug the speaker cable plug on underside of radio

Remove the antenna.. rear right side of the radio

Remove cowl vent lever /adjuster assembly

Remove radio

You can remove the radio with out removing the lower cowl vent assembly and handle but it will be very tight and awkward.

Good luck!

Bob

post-302-0-92258200-1455514865_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-28452200-1455514873_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-90100400-1455514886_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-52592600-1455514901_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-60759700-1455514971_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-87117600-1455515284_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Handy driving tips to get "started". Also reading the original Prestomatic manual. Ready to cruise. Hey, great tutorial on the radio. Thanks. That looks more like it.  My guess on it being the "fat" 803 must be wrong, So the "slender" 805 reaches left over to the steering column. Yes, a speaker is to the right. Does look tight, how on earth did you get a camera up there? Will have to be a lot warmer to have ambition for this (or any other project). Have not started that log book yet. One more chapter to the story on the way.