Compression readings and assessment

Jeff Balazs

Best option, find a different engine, and build it while,your still cruising yours...at 40 over already, it wouldn't be my first choice for a rebuild, which could put you to 60 over.

just curious, are you saying that because  starting with another engine allows you to keep driving the one in the truck, or because your think boring it out 60 thou is too much ?   The 1st I completely agree with. if it is the later, there is no issue what so ever to bore 60 thou..  Its all about finding the pistons and rings without going to custom pistons, which you can get any size you like obviously. But there is no problem boring the mopar 60, 80 90 or 100 thou +

just curious, are you saying that because  starting with another engine allows you to keep driving the one in the truck, or because your think boring it out 60 thou is too much ?   The 1st I completely agree with. if it is the later, there is no issue what so ever to bore 60 thou..  Its all about finding the pistons and rings without going to custom pistons, which you can get any size you like obviously. But there is no problem boring the mopar 60, 80 90 or 100 thou +

As much as there is the material to bore to .60 and well past, the thinner you make the walls, the less heat dissipation you get, and over heating becomes a real concern. Finding some stock parts can be a challenge, but so far I've had no issue finding parts for one of these engines, but I've never looked for a set of Pistons or rings past .30, so I can't say for sure once you go to the extremes. Maybe I fight heat a little more then some, but in SoCal I'm guessing heating would be an issue.

As much as there is the material to bore to .60 and well past, the thinner you make the walls, the less heat dissipation you get, and over heating becomes a real concern. Finding some stock parts can be a challenge, but so far I've had no issue finding parts for one of these engines, but I've never looked for a set of Pistons or rings past .30, so I can't say for sure once you go to the extremes. Maybe I fight heat a little more then some, but in SoCal I'm guessing heating would be an issue.

Ok at least I understand your point of view.  There is no concern about over heating what so ever by boring further. It easy still to find 30, 40 and 60 thou over pistons

and rings.  Above that the issue is getting pistons and rings not heat or cylinder wall thickness.  Lol. these are not chev and fords with thin walls.  We have routinely built performance engines 90 to 125 tho over bore but for the last 15 - 20 years that has meant going the custom piston route.

Now for what is being described in this thread, there is no need to be going to that extreme, but boring 60 thou if you he needs to is really no problem.

Personally I would tear it down and see what the cylinder walls look like. Maybe its just a case of new rings and a valve job to freshen things up.

Now having said that,  I did like where I though you were going, that being by getting a second engine, and build it up, he can keep driving his vehicle while

he prepares a new engine. Then he can re and re engines, and reuse things from the current engine if they are in good shape.  Things like the starter, water pump, distributor etc..

• Like 2

Lots to think about here and plan for. Ideally I want to address the other parts of the equation at the same time. Either a tranny swap or some other solution to gearing issues. As I have said all along this is the last vehicle that I am going to have and it needs to be right for how I need to use it. I am not worried about originality as I think there are plenty of cars and trucks in museums. This one will be brought up to snuff for daily use no matter what I have to do to get it there.

Jeff

• Like 1

I have enjoyed the six cylinder trucks but when the six in my 57 Fargo went bad, I replaced it with a 273 Dodge Dart

engine with a 3 speed all synchro..... later a 4 speed all synchro and it made a very satisfactory driver for years. It no longer exists but is preserved in a photo in the American Light Truck book. Would I do this swap again...... maybe with a 318 automatic.

I now have a 52 Fargo and have adapted a passenger car overdrive to a 251 engine.  3.9 rear with  205 R15  tires.  Should be just right for my mountainous area. I can fine tune by changing tire size. 

Most important is using the torque range of the six effectively.  a 3.73 ratio worked well in my 57 when it was both a six and later a V8. while  the 4.1 ratio kept the engine revs too high for highway comfort.   Latter day JOB RATING.   Time consuming but satisfying when you get it right.

• Like 1

I have enjoyed the six cylinder trucks but when the six in my 57 Fargo went bad, I replaced it with a 273 Dodge Dart

engine with a 3 speed all synchro..... later a 4 speed all synchro and it made a very satisfactory driver for years. It no longer exists but is preserved in a photo in the American Light Truck book. Would I do this swap again...... maybe with a 318 automatic.

I now have a 52 Fargo and have adapted a passenger car overdrive to a 251 engine.  3.9 rear with  205 R15  tires.  Should be just right for my mountainous area. I can fine tune by changing tire size. 

Most important is using the torque range of the six effectively.  a 3.73 ratio worked well in my 57 when it was both a six and later a V8. while  the 4.1 ratio kept the engine revs too high for highway comfort.   Latter day JOB RATING.   Time consuming but satisfying when you get it right.

I agree dpollo, have a 3.23 in my 55 Fargo, 4 spd trans, take off in 2nd always, lots of torque in 2nd and 3rd, but once I am in 4th, lose the power band until after 45-50 mph. I live in flat land so not too bad, cruises nice at 60-65mph.

I agree dpollo, have a 3.23 in my 55 Fargo, 4 spd trans, take off in 2nd always, lots of torque in 2nd and 3rd, but once I am in 4th, lose the power band until after 45-50 mph. I live in flat land so not too bad, cruises nice at 60-65mph.

Flatlands?? We have Riding Mountain, Turtle Mountain, and Duck Mountains...all in one province ;). We're like a poor mans Rockies! LOL We may be flat for the most part...but the majority of our roads suck so bad, this is like turkey trail driving compared to our friends to the South

Flatlands?? We have Riding Mountain, Turtle Mountain, and Duck Mountains...all in one province ;). We're like a poor mans Rockies! LOL We may be flat for the most part...but the majority of our roads suck so bad, this is like turkey trail driving compared to our friends to the South

As I posted Flatland around here, but we have the traffic too, Winnipeg Capital region has 80 % of the total population of the province. There is some rolling land in many parts of the province, but not in my main driving territory so id don't count for me... PS many highways and freeways in Southern Ontario, are much bigger, with a lot more traffic. 4mula, you should feel lucky, your big cities to go to nearby are Brandon and Virden, a dream to drive around compared to Winnipeg at times...

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far

Your kidding right? I would rather drive Winnipeg any day of the week compared to Brandon, or Virden....something has to be said for people that know where they want to go, and those that are out for a walk and took the car ;)

Yah your right, just for those who may not know, Winnipeg Capital region 800000 people, Brandon 45000 Virden 5000, hmmm which might have more traffic especially during rush hour in a downtown situation, tons of road construction, car accidents, city buses, bridges backed up, trains etc......LOL could be harder to drive in Brandon or Virden or the wide open spaces of the TransCanada Hwy.Maybe you just zip in once in a while from the North perimeter, to Route 90, and have not had to drive across it day in and day out, it's my home town, and am thankful every time I go to work, I do not have to drive through the city...maybe after 50 plus years, I am a bit of a pessimist.....LOL

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far

My apologies to the OP and the web forum, as the last few posts have gone ridiculously off the "Thread Topic".

I hate hijacked threads, and see this as counter productive to the topic.

Jeff whichever way you proceed, no doubt you will do it right, lot of good advice has been given, some advice is not ground in experience but opinions.

Look forward to your plan of attack....

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far

Not hijacked, just in addition too.....and FYI I lived in Winnipeg For years .I'm not new to the city or its conditions...likely the easiest city I've driven in compared to Calgary, Montreal or even outskirts of New Jersey...I guess some find it harder then others...but I drive for a living pretty much.

Jeff if you decide you do want to seek out the bigger block, I'm sure the members can track one down for you..I just ditched my last 2 218's to the wrecker....I'm moving and their in bountiful supply up here

It is OK guy's ..... I have done it myself. :D

I sure don't see the bigger blocks here.......so it is probably best to stick with what is easier to find in this local.

Of course I could tick just about everyone here off and drop in what is easily got here...a sbc :eek: 

I had even thought about a Red Ram but they seem kinda expensive to build and I know nothing about the parts situation.

Jeff