1949 Dodge Wayfarer (Freshening Things Up)

Branded

I should have started this post earlier. I have been taking everything apart and freshening everything up, detailing and replacing anything that is questionable. As some of you know I bought the Wayfarer back in August. The car had sat for several years. I've gone thru the brakes and fuel system including a new tank.

Engine is out and I replaced all the gaskets and seal. Next is to start sanding and painting the fire wall and inner fenders.

Here's some pictures from the past several weeks.

post-8364-0-15959000-1454966232_thumb.jpeg

post-8364-0-86397200-1454966328_thumb.jpeg

post-8364-0-40012800-1454966349_thumb.jpeg

post-8364-0-97212000-1454966372_thumb.jpeg

post-8364-0-84720400-1454966401_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks Niel, timing chain had a lot of slack so I replaced chain and gears. I pulled the head and inspected cylinders and had the head milled just to make sure it was tru. Pulled the pan and clean sludge that had settled in the bottom also clean the oil pickup screen. Replaced the rea main seal and all welsh plugs.

Dave

Edited by Branded

• 2 months later...

I agree. I wish I had 1/10 the ambition you do.  I can't get motivated to fix even simple things like the turn signals on my 50 Wayfarer.

Motivation was pushed when Jan 1, I was out of a job after 38 years as a coal fire power plant employee because of the current administrations war on coal. At 58 I'm retired and my cars keep me occupied, I do work on the side doing repairs and what ever else on vintage cars in my neck of the woods. Word seems to be traveling fast but I don't want to get covered up. So far life is good and I'm living the dream.

Dave

• Like 3

I know the gray isn't correct but the silver just looks to grungy for my liking. The gray I used is Rustoleum Smoke Gray. Cast Blast paint on the exhaust manifold and satin black engine paint on the intake.

• Like 1

Here's the starter I'm went with, had to send it back once to get the billet piece remachined to allow the starter drive to engage the correct depth into the ring gear

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-1955-Dodge-Plymouth-12-Volt-Replacement-Starter-For-Most-Engines-/281987419482?fits=Year%3A1949%7CMake%3ADodge&hash=item41a7c28d5a:g:hm0AAMXQCgpRs9Jz

Looked like a little BBQ grill out there. Why not the normal, taller fat one?

It's what was on the car when I bought it, I'm guessing it's original equipment. I like the looks of the smaller air cleaner too.

Edited by Branded

• 7 months later...

Drove the Wayfarer up and down the driveway today. Started the rebuild and detailing a little over a year ago. Still a few little things to wrap up, exhaust being one of them. Will get some pictures later. This site has helped immensely during to transformation.