New guy checking in.

Feudin_Wagon

Now every time we leave the house they ask if we can drive "the old old car." :)

And THERE is the "magic" that makes it all worthwhile.

• Like 2

Glad to see you got it running good. I see you mentioned it has been setting for about 30 years. The old girls need their exercise and some prune juice. I mentioned in a previous post to use about 1/2 a quart of seafoam in the oil. When you set the valves was it kinda gunked up in there or was it clean? Try the seafoam and it may clear the tick.

As far as the oil pressure, the book says from 20-40 psi is good. If you're using a 10-30 oil you pressure will be about 20-30psi hot. A straight 30 weight oil will run at about 30-40psi.

Joe

Your tick going away with the gauge inserted , then coming back could be caused by a cupped tappet (wear in the center). Gauge bridges the gap, Quiet. Pull it out. Noise back. Others have posted that finding here. One consolation is you probably won't burn a valve when it's ticking. loose better than tight.

EDIT:  and if you find that is the problem, I have some that I can pull from a block that is headed for the scrap heap.

You can have them for the cost of shipping.  PM me if you need/want some. May be a day or two delay digging out the valve spring tool, and getting to the block.

Edited by shel_ny
  • Like 1

Thanks for the offer Shel! I think I'm going to try and run it as-is for the summer and maybe tear into again a little deeper next winter. I'll keep you in mind though if my plan goes all pear-shaped.

I'm also gonna try seafoam in the crankcase and through the intake. I wonder if some of the noise I'm hearing isn't from carbon build up above the valves. Maybe I'll even hook up the jug and run some GM top engine cleaner through it.

And thanks guys for the four-door love! Honestly though, now that I've seen some more pictures of peoples coupes and Chrysler models on here, I'm kinda jealous. haha

Edited by Feudin_Wagon

• 10 months later...

Well, it's been awhile since I last posted. Thought some of you guys might be interested in checking out what "The fitty" was up to this summer, and some of the progress (or lack therof). I might catch flak for this, but I'm not into the "patina look" so I had to do something with the paint...leftsideOG.jpg

Hmmm... maybe hot rod black

freshpaintleft.jpg

Yes, that's better.

freshpaintfront.jpg

Wait a minute...

frenchgirls.jpg

Oh no you dinnit... (we had to grill it into the kids that "the old old car" was THE ONLY one they were allowed to draw on.)kidsdrawing.jpg

To the demolition derby and the figure 8 (it was easy money in the bank). Luckily the other competitors saw that one quarter panel contained more metal than their entire cars, and quickly conceded. 

skullandbones.jpg

Out to a "Show n Shine" at the local park. (Well, we showed, but we're gonna have to work on the "shine" part)exirashow2016.jpg

Why you little!!

dodgecamry.jpg

Then to a little more lively cruise night

RTcruisehood.jpg

RTcruiseleftside.jpg

RTcruiseLFquarter.jpg

RTcruiserightside.jpg

RTcruiserear.jpg

So now that it's cold again I'll hopefully be posting here again. Still lots to do to the old girl, firstly a hard to diagnose and slightly worsening mystery engine knock :o.

dodgeiscool.jpg

• Like 3

I love it!  People an interact with your car.  No trailer queen here.  Go ahead, touch me!  Write all over me!  Express yourselves!

Now,do you have a a felt eraser, like for the old school blackboards?  Or two erasers, so you can clap them together to get the chalk dust out?

Edited by DonaldSmith
typo
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DonaldSmith said:

I love it!  People an interact with your car.  No trailer queen here.  Go ahead, touch me!  Write all over me!  Express yourselves!

Now,do you have a a felt eraser, like for the old school blackboards?  Or two erasers, so you can clap them together to get the chalk dust out?

Thanks!

It was pretty fun at the couple shows I went to. That cruise night had some amazing high dollar machines. Like a gorgeous Yenko Camaro, hot rods of all types, etc, and there were crowds of people checking out and drawing all over my $1500 pile. I appreciate the time and effort that goes into a nice classic car, but it's all so boring after awhile. After seeing so many "please don't touch" signs at car shows over the years I thought it would be fun to have a car where people were encouraged to touch it and draw all over it. Hell, even little kids sitting on the hood and trunk for pictures. I thought it was hilarious.

No need for an eraser. Unfortunately the old girl sits outside most of the time, so any rain at all takes it right back to hot rod black. 

• Like 1

Had a couple hours free to finally tackle the mystery engine knock. It sounded kind of like a rod knock, but less consistent, and only under load. I checked the bottom end earlier and everything looked pretty good, but I installed new rod and main bearings anyway since I was in there. No change. Drove the car all over with that knock this summer. Probably a thousand miles or so and noticed it getting progressively worse. Pulling spark plug wires one at a time revealed the noise went away when #5 cylinder wasn't firing! Finally! I tried this last year but couldn't get the knock to show itself in the shop, had to be driving with a significant load (pulling a hill, etc). Pulling spark plug wires one at a time also revealed that my ignition system seems to be working pretty well, as it had no problems shooting a 1/2" gap right through a heavy leather welding glove. That stuff will wake you up better than coffee, haha.

Well, now I know where to look. Let's do this!

completeengine.jpg

cylinder head.jpg

He's smiling because he got to run the impact wrench.

malfender.jpg

Slight scoring on #5 cylinder wall...

cylinderscored.jpg

hmm, so far so good...

number5cylinder.jpg

Whoa, that's not good!

brokenpiston2.jpg

Are pistons supposed to have speed holes?

brokenpiston3.jpg

Well, that explains the noise at least. Cylinder wall looks a bit scored, but I cant feel it with a fingernail or anything and there's no ring ridge to speak of so I'm just going to replace the piston and run it. And maybe mill the head since it's off, and then get a twin carb intake, and then a split exhaust manifold, and then, and then, and then...

headoff.jpg

Edited by Feudin_Wagon
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Feudin_Wagon said:

Well, that explains the noise at least. Cylinder wall looks a bit scored, but I cant feel it with a fingernail or anything and there's no ring ridge to speak of so I'm just going to replace the piston and run it. And maybe mill the head since it's off, and then get a twin carb intake, and then a split exhaust manifold, and then, and then, and then...

headoff.jpg

....and that is how it starts.......

BTW,don't forget to buy a lumpy cam and grinding the valves

• Like 2

knuckleharley’s absolutely on target concerning your DMV – say absolutely nothing at this time. Just get the new title in your name, tuck your registration and tag under your arm, and walk out of the building with a smile on your face. Then, when you renew your registration (we renew here every two years, but can go as long as six years for brand new cars), which is probably annually, THEN bring it to the DMV’s attention. They’ll probably think you’re a very diligent citizen by bringing an error on their part to their attention. Ahhhhh, if only they knew . . .  Thx.

• Like 1

What a great set of posts, I also have a 50 Meadowbrook. I thought yours might be a Coronet because of the Dodge crest in the center part of the grille, mine only has a little cross.

Amazing how the piston in your car was all broken. Mine has a slight knock too when warm but good  oil pressure. P

Love the way you write. 

• Like 1

What a great set of posts, I also have a 50 Meadowbrook. I thought yours might be a Coronet because of the Dodge crest in the center part of the grille, mine only has a little cross.

Amazing how the piston in your car was all broken. Mine has a slight knock too when warm but good  oil pressure. P

Love the way you write. 

What is the size of your piston?  I bought 23 flatheads last year for parts.  I have weeded through the heard and have decided on which engines that I am keeping.  I will be parting with a lot of them soon and have some extra pistons here....

I really like your attitude, you certainly are a great person to add to this hobby we all share.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to follow up with you to see if you had a chance to begin repairs.  I really hope that you get back on the road soon.

• Like 2

Hey there! Thanks for the offer, took me this long to check my email. Yeah she's up and running again temporarily, before the next round of repairs/improvements start. Engine is running about as well as can be expected for an old jalopy, meaning that with the knock gone I can really her the valves rattling, hahah. I ended up ordering all the parts off rockauto for $69.99 plus shipping. (Piston, Oil pan gasket, cylinder head gasket.) Seriously! These things are cheaper to run than small block chebbies! One of my customers old Grand Cherokees had a transmission go bad, so they sold the thing to me for scrap. Next up is a rear axle swap with disc brakes. Hopefully the fluid drive can cope with a 3.55:1 rear gear ratio. Already nabbed the wheels and tires

Jeepwheels.jpg

Really really surprised the jeep wheels and 235/75R15's fit in there with only the slightest amount of butchery. I think I like it. And it sure drives better with modern tires than the skinny bias plies it had before. The kids have been drawing on it again thanks to nice weather.

• Like 2

Oops, guess I spoke too soon when I said the grand Cherokee wheels fit just right. Turns out the fronts rub on the upper control arm and tie rod ends at certain angles. Ordered some cheapie wheel shims today. I think I only need an eighth inch or so. The rears fit perfectly on the stock axle with no trouble at all. I'm digging it, much meaner looking especially from the rear.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm just messing around trying out things that I think are cool. Glad some of you also get a kick out of it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Feudin_Wagon said:

Oops, guess I spoke too soon when I said the grand Cherokee wheels fit just right. Turns out the fronts rub on the upper control arm and tie rod ends at certain angles. Ordered some cheapie wheel shims today. I think I only need an eighth inch or so. The rears fit perfectly on the stock axle with no trouble at all. I'm digging it, much meaner looking especially from the rear.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm just messing around trying out things that I think are cool. Glad some of you also get a kick out of it.

I am a purest at heart, but then watching  someone save a car, and seeing it being loved, cherished, and driven.....  Well let's just say that I have a soft spot in my heart for that.  It's awesome that you are making the car a part of you, and your family.

• 3 weeks later...