New guy checking in.

Feudin_Wagon

Not too much. Got the front tire rub issue mostly sorted by running some skinnier tires and adding a couple shims behind the wheels. Gonna try and grab a set of even skinnier ones off a caravan or something next junkyard trip and lose the shims. Also skinny tires might help the armstrong power steering unit out. The real story however was the back end... Turns out way way bigger tires than 235/75r15s can fit back there. Like 275/60r15s! We had a couple at the shop that came with an auction lot a couple years ago. Figured I might as well put them to use! I'll try and get some pics up later, it's starting to look like a real joe dirt machine. Oh and I hacked the exhaust off and installed a 2" glasspack just for lulz. Sounds okay for now.

Which brings me to the next part. The bummer part. Most of the things I have planned for the car will require it be not driveable for longish periods of time, like for the disc brake rear swap, the split manifold and dual exhaust install, hell, even getting the cracked right windshield replaced will take a day of running around.

And I don't want it to be down right now, haha. I've been daily driving it. Now that it doesn't sound like it's gonna fly apart anymore, I've been using it everyday and I'm having fun with it, so that other stuff can wait. Also, now that it doesn't sound like a rod might soon ventilate the block, I'm beginning to really like the flathead. I've been toying pretty hard with buying a wrecked dodge ram and swapping in the complete fuel injected V8/automatic setup, but living with this flathead for a year has maybe bought the little six another chance. I sort of feel like it would ruin the car if it didn't have the flathead. 

33 minutes ago, Feudin_Wagon said:

And I don't want it to be down right now, haha. I've been daily driving it. Now that it doesn't sound like it's gonna fly apart anymore, I've been using it everyday and I'm having fun with it, so that other stuff can wait. Also, now that it doesn't sound like a rod might soon ventilate the block, I'm beginning to really like the flathead. I've been toying pretty hard with buying a wrecked dodge ram and swapping in the complete fuel injected V8/automatic setup, but living with this flathead for a year has maybe bought the little six another chance. I sort of feel like it would ruin the car if it didn't have the flathead. 

Welcome to the club! There really are some things you can't explain to people. They have to experience it for themselves before they understand or appreciate it.

Just wait until you get the split exhaust,duals,and glasspacks installed,and you will understand another level of appreciation for inlines.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of stuff going on with the fitty the last couple weeks! 

New shoes!

FIREHAWK.jpg.59d9fd778326f0d35dc9a2314a5216b1.jpg

Noice!

FIREHAWKcloseup.jpg.8506b146c32444921095db06dcdf1560.jpg

Much Wow

FIREHAWKsize.jpg.d329e6e13e5a7eb713bbae1a9022b815.jpg

Cool! Now that it looks kinda badass what should we take care of first? The sketchy stock rear brakes I've still never even checked, like ever, and the car sat for something like 40 years? Nah, it's fine. Just fine. Oh, maybe a heater would be nice! Nah, it'll be warm soon. Maybe next winter. Windshield wipers that don't leak so much vacuum that the idle jumps 500 rpm when they are switched on. Nah, scientists have invented Rain-X! 

Nope, lets work on the disgusting interior! I don't have to look at all that other stuff every day.

Out with the old

This is what we started with. Blanket covered front seat and no rear seat at all.norearseat2.jpg.7d1bc56977a4d4c48b890783c7e116d9.jpg

Remember this is only temporary, unless it works.packagetray.jpg.fe0fc6d5b03d8193cc27138945309e12.jpg

What!

newrearseatsinstalled2.jpg.091064586d433e65d15babf84c7b47af.jpg

Yeah they still fold (kinda) flatI Hahaha

newrearseatshowingoff1.jpg.b5a65fc63df070944f31bd3979cba275.jpg

This amuses me, and I'm thinking of removing the rear bulkhead and using it to haul longer stuff. Is it structural? Like overly?newrearseatshowingoff2.jpg.8d86ad8f554490dc4cdaed663bfa4bc9.jpg

Next time I'll tackle the front seats.

rearheadrests.jpg

Edited by Feudin_Wagon
  • Like 1

Looks like your modernization on the cheap is working out.  I can see a huge child seat benefit on your last modification. 

• Like 1

I like your idea of the pass-thru from the trunk - it worked for the '48 Chrysler Travelers!  Those sheet metal hat section cross braces are doing something, but could be replaced with a  more rigid open frame of scrap square tubing or 1 1/2 angle welded to the same points.

Back seat.pdf

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DonaldSmith said:

Open trunk - the DeSoto Suburban -

58e698a19a2ae_0722006backinplace.jpg.0e06c27829bab9a84a7fbeaf71f62f2d.jpg

That you for that photo. That is a sight I had never seen before. Is that actual pressure-formed wood paneling? I can't even begin to imagine what it would cost to recreate that for a restoration.

The wood grained panels the 46-48 DeSoto Suburban are high-pressure laminate, Bakelite brand, layers of phenolic-saturated paper with a printed woodgrain layer, hot-pressed over wood molds.  Perfect for low production applications.  I sprayed them with clear enamel to hide the years of  surface scratches.  

58e77e46cf693_200608trunkpanelrt04after.jpg.337f638ebde1a39cf27c07be116c4f39.jpg

The window moldings are metal, with the secret woodgraining process that mystifies us to this day, something about floating the image in water and raising the object into it.

Here are the Bakelite panels and woodgrained metal moldings and dashboard: 

58e77fbd5735b_cowlrightcarpeting.JPG.e619e4fe17deb327b732fbc8e36b375c.JPG

• Like 4

Very, very nice, Don!!  "Phenolic saturated paper" is the description of "plastic laminate" (or Formica) - Didn't realize there was an automotive application that far back.  As for woodgraining metal, Casper50's thread "Started the Teardown..." recently featured information on modern "hydrographic" woodgraining, including a YouTube link and photos of his bold and successful DYI efforts using it.

• Like 1

Yep, hydrographic, that's it.  Plastic laminates started as insulating panels and boards for electronic applications.  Decorative plastic laminates came later.   Even the decorative laminates conform to NEMA (National Electrical Manufacturers Association) standards.     

(I've been told that Bakelite dishes are quite the collector's item.)

5 hours ago, DonaldSmith said:

The wood grained panels the 46-48 DeSoto Suburban are high-pressure laminate, Bakelite brand, layers of phenolic-saturated paper with a printed woodgrain layer, hot-pressed over wood molds.  Perfect for low production applications.  I sprayed them with clear enamel to hide the years of  surface scratches.  

58e77e46cf693_200608trunkpanelrt04after.jpg.337f638ebde1a39cf27c07be116c4f39.jpg

The window moldings are metal, with the secret woodgraining process that mystifies us to this day, something about floating the image in water and raising the object into it.

Here are the Bakelite panels and woodgrained metal moldings and dashboard: 

58e77fbd5735b_cowlrightcarpeting.JPG.e619e4fe17deb327b732fbc8e36b375c.JPG

You have to be one of the luckiest critters on the planet to find a car that rare that was complete and that nice to start with. I am guessing almost all the other survivors worth having are either in Museums or private collections,and never seen on the road.

In fact,I have never seen one. Only photos.

Our National DeSoto Club current president, Les Pesavento, restored the car for over 25 years, using parts form three Suburbans and searching nationwide for some of the parts. I've had the car for about 15 years, and did some minor cosmetics, power steering, and, oh yes, a spotlight. But we've hijacked the thread.   Sorry...

2 hours ago, Feudin_Wagon said:

I approve of this hijacking. Bringing some class to this shindig! Love that suburban!

Excellent thread from start to....  and I have enjoyed reading it through. ..."Don't Touch my car"  :)

• 4 weeks later...

Carr show at my favorite little brewery, about an hour away. Car running great except for lots of oil smoke on decel from highway speeds. This is my first long drive after the piston fix, so hopefully the smoke will start to clear up soon. Still better check the oil before I head back, haha. Besides, all the dudes at the show are just dying to see that 230" plant I bet. Was gonna post some pics from my phone but either Photobucket/my phone/this website (or all three) are being absolutely infuriating right now. Maybe a pic or two when I get home tonight.