Interesting find on D24 hood chrome

windsor8

While I was preparing to paint the under side of the hood on my d24 I found this rubber stamped on the bottom side of the chrome hood center piece.  It reads "Advanced Plating Co Inc. ????, Michigan. It has been suggested that the piece had been rechromed at some point from Advanced Plating which is located in Nashville, Tn. I don't think so as the part appears to be original as is the rest of the bright work on the car. When I called Advanced Plating in Nashville they said they had never been located in Michigan. I'm thinking that the "Advanced Plating" stamped on my part was from a supplier to Chrysler back in the day. I thought it was interesting.

The stamp is located at the tape mark.

post-277-0-37638300-1454695342_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-76521600-1454695372_thumb.jpg

I just checked mine, but I cannot find any marks at all. There is a fair amount of surface rust on the underside of my center chrome strip, so any rubber stamped marks would probably be obliterated.

It is interesting though. Thanks for posting it.

I think it says "advance" not "advanced".

Advance is in Michigan. Advanced is in Tennesee.

That it does on second look.

Parts were made by a number of suppliers from different parts of the country.......from different materials.

Plants in Detroit, Evansville Los Angeles and Windsor did not have all of the same suppliers.

For geographical reasons alone there were more then one supplier of many of the outsourced parts.

As long as the item fit & worked it seemed to satisfy WPC Corporation.

Example; there are at least three different versions of a 1941 Front Grill outer moldings. Some were two piece with a joiner clip, some were solid made out of one piece, etc.

I have seen many variations of the same part especially when it comes to body moldings and hood ornaments.

Often that includes variations in size including minor measurement tolerances, material and finish.

Edited by Roadkingcoupe